• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pipelines

• Thread starter Thread starter QV
  • Start date Start date
And most of the most reliable renewables, hydro, are grandfathered installations built before there was an environmental review process.

Drowned fields, forests and towns as well as disrupted fish runs....

TANSTAAFL.
Much of that can be mitigated, but we're still stuck with large numbers of people who think a few square miles of flooded forest or farmland is too great a price to pay. I don't know if some political parties are even capable of cost/benefit analysis. I have to wonder how much we've paid (and will pay) because of the insistence that the Massey Tunnel replacement has to be another tunnel, in part to conserve a small amount of valuable farmland.

Much of that can be mitigated, but we're still stuck with large numbers of people who think a few square miles of flooded forest or farmland is too great a price to pay. I don't know if some political parties are even capable of cost/benefit analysis. I have to wonder how much we've paid (and will pay) because of the insistence that the Massey Tunnel replacement has to be another tunnel, in part to conserve a small amount of valuable farmland.

The Massey Tunnel? Lord T'underin'.

Cost benefit analysis requires arithmetic. Apparently that is a low priority for schools these days.

The Granby Group has been working on an energy project located in the area of Anyox, B.C., an abandoned mining town north of Prince Rupert. The proposed site is adjacent to the town of Anyox and is roughly about 800 hectares of virtually flat private land in the traditional territory of Lax Kwʼalaams (of which I am a member and former elected councillor) and Metlakatla. The proposed floating LNG terminal could be the solution that drives our local economy for decades to come.
Indigenous communities are central to resource development and will likely define the future of energy development around the world. The Granby Group smartly decided to ensure that the impacted Indigenous communities had a seat at the table. This will benefit Indigenous communities across the country — and the nation as a whole — if others follow Granby’s example.

The Stewards of the Land want to sell.

Softly, softly. Don't wake up Ottawa.

Another First Nations resource project - LNG off the Moratorium Coast.

The Stewards of the Land want to sell.

Softly, softly. Don't wake up Ottawa.

Another First Nations resource project - LNG off the Moratorium Coast.
All the Mills and Mines up in this part of Ontario are being partnered up with FN groups to get them off the ground. The Mill in White River is 50% owned by the FN Reserve at Mobert and is making A LOT of money.

My nephew was working in the area of that project, lot's of geophysical concerns along the undersea pipeline route.

Every route has its challenges. As my old man, of fond memory, often said: Anything is possible, if cash!

Is the reward worth the risk? Are the stakeholders/shareholders (one and the same) willing to back the play and give the project a chance?

I suspect that recognizing title allows the monetizing of the aboriginal interest in the land making them viable shareholders in any resource project on their land. They now have capital to invest to their benefit.

All the Mills and Mines up in this part of Ontario are being partnered up with FN groups to get them off the ground. The Mill in White River is 50% owned by the FN Reserve at Mobert and is making A LOT of money.
Waiting for FN to buy the Pulp Mill/ Prisoner of War camp in Espanola…. Never going to happen…

Every route has its challenges. As my old man, of fond memory, often said: Anything is possible, if cash!

Is the reward worth the risk? Are the stakeholders/shareholders (one and the same) willing to back the play and give the project a chance?

I suspect that recognizing title allows the monetizing of the aboriginal interest in the land making them viable shareholders in any resource project on their land. They now have capital to invest to their benefit.
When there is existing evidence of fairly recent underwater slides, then the only question is when, not if. Work Channel was looked at by another company a few years ago, a narrow fjord with steep mountains, the bottom is a rough V and it's filled with house sized boulders from the mountains. They decide to forgo that bit....

Same out here, the bands are discovering that governing requires money, getting a Treaty means the money eventually runs out and you need a source of income. There are a couple of bands that will run the environmentalists out of town.

In case it wasn't already obvious...

The Big Squeeze: Lessons from the Trans Mountain Pipeline about the Costs of Invisible Bottlenecks​

• While oil pipeline constraints can often affect Canadian upstream investment and production, they can also affect Canadian consumers. Depending on the nature of the constraint, consumers may end up paying more for fuels like gasoline and diesel. I provide an examination of the effect of infrastructure constraints on the Trans Mountain pipeline, which primarily affected refined product shipments from Edmonton to cities in British Columbia. This analysis shows that a “big squeeze” on gasoline and diesel shipments is responsible for a pronounced increase in wholesale fuel prices in the Lower Mainland BC that has cost residents an estimated $1.5 billion per year.

Waiting for FN to buy the Pulp Mill/ Prisoner of War camp in Espanola…. Never going to happen…
The pulp and paper industry in Canada is still shaking out the effects of a changing consumer base partly tied to both the 'paperless society' shift as well as the off-shoring of manufacturing (off-shore stuff comes in off-shore boxes). Terrance Bay mill is down, a cellulose mill in Temiskaming QC (east of North Bay) has shut down and, further back, Smooth Rock Falls, Iroquois Falls, Sturgeon Falls, St. Mary's Paper (SSM), Cornwall.

In case it wasn't already obvious...

The Big Squeeze: Lessons from the Trans Mountain Pipeline about the Costs of Invisible Bottlenecks​

• While oil pipeline constraints can often affect Canadian upstream investment and production, they can also affect Canadian consumers. Depending on the nature of the constraint, consumers may end up paying more for fuels like gasoline and diesel. I provide an examination of the effect of infrastructure constraints on the Trans Mountain pipeline, which primarily affected refined product shipments from Edmonton to cities in British Columbia. This analysis shows that a “big squeeze” on gasoline and diesel shipments is responsible for a pronounced increase in wholesale fuel prices in the Lower Mainland BC that has cost residents an estimated $1.5 billion per year.

Fuel prices seem to be down this summer in BC compared to last year, since TMX opened.

And we here are waiting for the old Kapyong Barracks to be developed by the FN. Acres and acres of.....weeds....and grass...the odd tree.

The pulp and paper industry in Canada is still shaking out the effects of a changing consumer base partly tied to both the 'paperless society' shift as well as the off-shoring of manufacturing (off-shore stuff comes in off-shore boxes). Terrance Bay mill is down, a cellulose mill in Temiskaming QC (east of North Bay) has shut down and, further back, Smooth Rock Falls, Iroquois Falls, Sturgeon Falls, St. Mary's Paper (SSM), Cornwall.
And on the lumber side, sure would be nice to have that softwood lumber tariff thing sorted. Seems Big Tree Cutter in the US always seems to win out against Big Wood Consumer in keeping a grip on Canadian lumber going south. Industry’s been boned with both Red & Blue teams in Ottawa - and different coloured US government s - since the early 1980’s :(

And on the lumber side, sure would be nice to have that softwood lumber tariff thing sorted. Seems Big Tree Cutter in the US always seems to win out against Big Wood Consumer in keeping a grip on Canadian lumber going south. Industry’s been boned with both Red & Blue teams in Ottawa - and different coloured US government s - since the early 1980’s :(

It will never be 'sorted' of course, and the US will continue to lose their case through arbitration processes that regularly rule against them...

The heart of the dispute is the claim that the Canadian lumber industry is unfairly subsidized by federal and provincial governments, as most timber in Canada is owned by the provincial governments. The prices charged to harvest the timber (stumpage fee) are set administratively, rather than through the competitive marketplace, the norm in the United States. In the United States, softwood lumber lots are privately owned, and the owners form an effective political lobby. The United States claims that the Canadian arrangement constitutes an unfair subsidy, and is thus subject to U.S. trade remedy laws, where foreign trade benefiting from subsidies can be subject to a countervailing duty tariff, to offset the subsidy and bring the price of the commodity back up to market rates.

The Canadian government and lumber industry dispute this assertion, based on a number of factors, including that Canadian timber is provided to such a wide range of industries, and that lack of specificity makes it ineligible to be considered a subsidy under U.S. law. Under U.S. trade remedy law, a countervailable subsidy must be specific to a particular industry. This requirement precludes imposition of countervailing duties on government programs, such as roads, that are meant to benefit a broad array of interests. Since 1982, there have been four major iterations of the dispute.

It will never be 'sorted' of course, and the US will continue to lose their case through arbitration processes that regularly rule against them...
The arbitration results are a bit of a mixed bag, with Canada winning a few, and the US winning more than a few more. And yeah, the "provincial stumpage fees on generally government owned land are state subsidies, compared to U.S. market-based fees for cutting wood on private land" argument is easy for me to understand.

The mystery to me is the power of the "tree plantation" lobby in the U.S. When it comes to opposing the tariffs, it's not just Canada & Co. who are underwhelmed. Organizations representing lumber buyers in the U.S. want cheaper wood. Organizations representing home builders in the U.S. certainly & consistently have wanted cheaper wood - especially these days when everyone is clamouring for more housing. Ever since the first complaints from Big Tree Farm in the U.S. in the early 1980's, Canadian producers have either paid tariffs, or they've paid export taxes to Ottawa, or agreed to export quotas to avoid tariffs.

I guess I have to learn more about Big Tree Farm to figure out how to get them to change their minds, or how they manage the leverage they do with governments of both Red and Blue jersey's in Washington.

Back