• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness for Skinny Guys

• Thread starter Thread starter dnuttall
  • Start date Start date
some of these tips seems helpful.. and i am starting out a protein shake diet

But urr i wonder if it will work in time for me, I am extremely skinny, like refugee like skinny. I eat tons (believe me).. I am currently 110 pounds at 5 feet 9.  How much will i gain in lets say 3 to 4 months with regular workouts on my new diet? 
According to the CF guide i should be at 140 pounds at least, and i 'm sure my medical wil probably come before i'm ready.... Does the CF deny you if you are too skinny?

Do yourself a favour...read all the FAQs here you can including the Guidelines. Then ask your questions. Plenty of info out there if you know how to use the search function.

Milnet.Ca Staff

I'd like to throw my $0.02 in, being that I am around 5'10" and weigh 125 lbs and have 3% body fat. When I started working out (not intensely by any means) I weighed around 115 lbs, that was around the beginning of the summer. I have a crazy metabolism, I can eat anything and not gain / shed a single pound. Since then I have obviously put on a bit of muscle, but not much mass by any means. This might also be the case for you. The biggest difference that I have noticed by far is that working out for me has gone from something I forced myself to do to something I enjoy (especially push-ups  ;)). I've never had a routine, I just do what I feel like doing on that day.
For the rest of your questions, I would give my personal input, but I don't feel that I am in any way in a position where it would help, as I am not in the forces yet.

As previously stated, find out what works best for you because each person is different. You'll know when you've found the right way.

When i joined, i was 5' 9" and weighed 120 Lbs.........guess what

I GOSH DARNED GONE DID IT AND PASSED THIS HERE COURSE !!

Quit freakin worrying ..................

Some stats: 5'8", 16 y/o and 127 pounds, I'm an ectomorph (real term for "skinny guys") .. obviously. what I currently do is one week of "intense cardio" ( 2 hours a day everyday ) and one week of power training ( 3-4 times a week ). In a year I gained about 6 pounds of lean mass. I read a lot of nutrition/sports books, sites, people's opinions , etc. Enough to have my own "philosophy" and opinion about weight lifting and diets. I know this forum is great to get help and advice but don't forget that there are thousand of websites that already answered your question, so go take a look at them, and don't stop after one website/book! Anyway here's a website with lots of exercises and programs :
http://www.menshealth.com/powertraining/cms/publish/workouts/index.php   
Train smart

Frank

Frank, when your 16 years old and 127 pounds your body should be building at least 6 pounds of muscle a year whether your training or not. Your testosterone should be fairly high during these adolescent stages making some muscle gain inevitable. I am 6'4 and went from 170 to 205 and the most important thing for us skinny guys is caloric intake. You may think your eating a truckload but if your maintaining an "intense cardio" routine your either going have to eat MORE food or cut down your aerobic activity. This has been said earlier in the thread but I will reiterate it.      - Eat Lots, Often, high protein foods (chicken, beef, fish, protein shakes if you have too)
                                                                            -Train Hard, stay in the 4-8 rep range for mass building, (Squats, Pullups, Benchpress,  overhead presses, deadlifts, ect.)
                                                                            - Cut down your cardio ( instense short sessions if you must.)
                                                                            - Get a solid 8+ hours sleep a night
You WILL gain weight if you follow these guidelines.

im 14, 5'9 140lbs

my dream is to be SOF, but i have lots of time to build on some more muscle right?
i am starting to workout more often too, mostly arms chest.

but whats the best to increase some mass on my back, like neck/shoulder blade area

how much protein should i be getting each day

jonathan_power said:
im 14, 5'9 140lbs

my dream is to be SOF, but i have lots of time to build on some more muscle right?
i am starting to workout more often too, mostly arms chest.

but whats the best to increase some mass on my back, like neck/shoulder blade area

how much protein should i be getting each day

I would think that at 14, you are a bit too young to be worrying about this.  Wait a few years, until you are around 18, and you will probably have found that your "fears" were unfounded.

im 18 and i am about 5'11" and about 140. not matter how much beer i drink, how much i eat, i just dont gain weight. i eat earls food 4 times a week(i know thats bad, i try not to but its hard when you close a kitchen 4 nights in a row and get off a 0230) i am applying for ROTP Pilot and therefore i have to train for the CF Leadership & Recruit School Fitness Standards. I can do 27 push ups, but cant go much past that. doing 41 sit ups is easier, and can go a little past that, and chin ups i can do ten, but im not sure if i am doing it to the military standards. and as for the run, i can do 12 laps of 200 meters in about 12:18 last time i did it. i try to do the run once a week.

tips and advice would be appreciated
(i also read other similar posts fyi)
THanks  :cdn:

Hey guys this wannabe is a little intimidated to post on this lively debate, especially since it was not that long ago that I thought a thread was something to sew a button on with. I preferred to spend my spare time staying fit.  So, this is not from an expert but it is what works for me.

Do not run intensly if you want to gain weight. This is probably the most important point I can add.
Read what you can - I think that Fitness RX is one of the better mags out there.  I would highly recommend a trainer.  If you can't do that then do not be intimated and just go up to someone that looks like they know what they are doing and ask questions.  Start off with a compliment and you'd be surprised at how much most of these guys like to share.  No one ever came out of the womb lookin like Arnie.  There is a lot to know but none of it is complicated.  Trust me on this one.  You can waste a lot of time doing things the wrong way.

One of the things that may have made this a lively debate is the fact that different things work for different people.  So, keep a journal and document.  For me I found changing up programs and rep ranges etc very important.  Four grams of protein is way too much and very expensive.  That much can also be getting close to toxic for the liver on a longer term basis. (not an expert, but informed amature.) I think that there may have been some confusion on the failure/intensity debate.  One of the best piece of advice I ever got was from a guy that played pro ball in the U.S. and likely benched like 450 or more.  Let say you do 4 sets of 10 reps.  You work hard on the first 3 sets but NOT to failure.  Then on that last set bring your game.  Do some negatives or pyramids (research the web, or ask me or at the gym if you do not know) Playing a mind game here works great for me.  Get aggressive!!  Play loud heavy metal music and visualize about ripping that fu**kin Taliban coc*sucker's
head off. Competing with your buddy is great.  It is also pretty hard to over motivate yourself.  Have a big Canadian flag (or whatever works for you) up in your room to remind you.  Also while this is very doable without supplements, they have been a great help for me and I would recommend them.

Finally, remember that us skinny guys are the lucky ones.  Not only is running such a huge factor in CF fitness, the pushups and chin ups are body weight relative.  Not as a bragging point, but rather as encouragement for the skinny guys - I can smoke that pro football player on wide grip chin ups.  Also ,the ladies choose ripped abs as the hottest body part by a wide margin.

Again, thanks so kindly to all those guys that just want to help us wannabes.  It is greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Rod

rod_barolo said:
Hey guys this wannabe is a little intimidated to post on this lively debate, especially since it was not that long ago that I thought a thread was something to sew a button on with. I preferred to spend my spare time staying fit.  So, this is not from an expert but it is what works for me.

Do not run intensly if you want to gain weight.

This is probably the most important point I can add.
Read what you can - I think that Fitness RX is one of the better mags out there. 

Every mag is suspect, the programs rarely vary and are usually just designed to sell supplement products.  If your are skinny guy/begining weightlifter and you want to gain mass, google starting strength/Mark Rippetoe and start reading.

I would highly recommend a competenttrainer. 

Fixed that for you, and easier said than done in the Globo-Gym environment (a certain gym that promotes a "Good" Lifestyle, only requires its trainers to have a Can-Fit-Pro cert, which in essence teachs you how to describe exercises in very fancy terms, and what "machine" exercises to use, but thats as far as it goes).

If you can't do that then do not be intimated and just go up to someone that looks like they know what they are doing and ask questions.
  NO, bad idea, even worse, for one, if you get hurt following that persons "adivce", you are up the creek with out a paddle.  Second, guaranteed, most of the people who "look like" they know what they are doing, usually get their training advice from such enlightened magazines as Muscle&Fitness and Flex. 

Start off with a compliment and you'd be surprised at how much most of these guys like to share.
See, above

No one ever came out of the womb lookin like Arnie.  There is a lot to know but none of it is complicated.  Trust me on this one.  You can waste a lot of time doing things the wrong way.
  Actually, learning to do things like deadlifts, squats, presses, power cleans, properly is a bit complicated (not much, but very few of the trainers/patron in most globo gyms, have the requisite skills to teach/practice these).  Although doing things the wrong way, does waste time, i agree with you there.

One of the things that may have made this a lively debate is the fact that different things work for different people.  So, keep a journal and document.  For me I found changing up programs and rep ranges etc very important.  Four grams of protein is way too much and very expensive.  That much can also be getting close to toxic for the liver on a longer term basis. (not an expert, but informed amature.) I think that there may have been some confusion on the failure/intensity debate.  One of the best piece of advice I ever got was from a guy that played pro ball in the U.S. and likely benched like 450 or more.  Let say you do 4 sets of 10 reps.  You work hard on the first 3 sets but NOT to failure.  Then on that last set bring your game.  Do some negatives or pyramids (research the web, or ask me or at the gym if you do not know) Playing a mind game here works great for me.  Get aggressive!!  Play loud heavy metal music and visualize about ripping that fu**kin Taliban coc*sucker's
head off. Competing with your buddy is great.  It is also pretty hard to over motivate yourself.  Have a big Canadian flag (or whatever works for you) up in your room to remind you.  Also while this is very doable without supplements, they have been a great help for me and I would recommend them.
No quibbles, more or less here.

Finally, remember that us skinny guys are the lucky ones.  Not only is running such a huge factor in CF fitness
Actually, overall fitness (ala crossfit) is starting to gain a lot of traction.  As well, its not so much running per se, but more physical endurance/stamina, that is really important.

the pushups and chin ups are body weight relative.  Not as a bragging point, but rather as encouragement for the skinny guys - I can smoke that pro football player on wide grip chin ups.
 Sorta right, most of those behomoths don't really practice body weight exercises, so to suggest they "can't" do that well doing pushups/chinups, is a bit of misnomer.  There are plenty of videos floating out there on the net showing fairly big guys, who can knock out insane pushups/pullup numbers.  Its all about strength-weight ratio. 

Back