• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PHOTOS: Arctic Ram 2012

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
EXERCISE Arctic Ram is 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group’s inaugural training exercise which is being conducted in the Northwest Territories from February 14 to 26, 2012. It is the biggest and most complex Army-led exercise ever undertaken in the Canadian Arctic. It will allow our soldiers to reacquire winter soldier skills and improve the Canadian Army Arctic capabilities. Photo Credit: Cpl Lindsay Grimster, CFJIC© 2012 DND-MDN Canada

46cd4d8f.jpg

Jump Master Warrant Officer Pat Farrell gives orders to the soldiers about to jump onto Great Slave Lake, as part of EXERCISE Arctic Ram on February 15th, 2012.

b74212c2.jpg

cad6ef87.jpg

Corporal Dallas Mitchell from the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, waits for the signal to jump from a CC130J-Hercules aircraft during EXERCISE Arctic Ram on February 15th, 2012.

cf5e9dfd.jpg

016f0f00.jpg

Troops from Alpha Company (A-Coy) from the 1st Battalion of Princess Patricia`s Canadian Light Infantry (1PPCLI) pack their gear for the Platoon Level attack during the EXERCISE Arctic Ram Level 3 Range at Russell Lake, Northwest Territories (NT).

79e77f3a.jpg

Soldiers from Charlie Company (C-Coy) from the 1st Battalion of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (1PPCLI), on the Platoon Level Attack during EXERCISE Arctic Ram Level 3 Range at Russell Lake.

Man that would be a cold jump.

I can feel my eyes gritting up just thinking about doing an advance across that much open snow lol.....do miss 1 VP though  :(

Wook

Wook, the jump might have been a cold one but the weather here has been really great. As a matter of fact, the weather here hasn't been below -25 so i'm thinking some might be a little dis-appointed .. >:D

Colin P said:
Oh my god! soliders using desert cam in the snow, quick call the media!!!  :eek:

Huh?

If you're talking the cam net, it's white.  Really dirty, but white all the same.

Strike said:
Huh?

If you're talking the cam net, it's white.  Really dirty, but white all the same.

I think he meant the last picture.

Strike said:
Huh?

I'll bet Colin knows what a winter cam net looks like ;)

Ahhhh, that would be the 'non-issued' back pack and other aftermarket kit.

Methinks your sarcasm/humour meter needs batteries.... ;D

I figured it was aftermarket, but considering the "media storm" over Green in Afghanistan, wait till they see a picture of sand in the snow!

Winter cam nets aren''t as nice to sleep in as regular cam nets.

Colin P said:
Methinks your sarcasm/humour meter needs batteries.... ;D

I should really just refrain from posting until I get over this damned cold...

Colin P said:
Winter cam nets aren''t as nice to sleep in as regular cam nets.

That's because the white reflects the heat..... ;D

Some pretty awesome pics on the LFWA Flickr photo stream.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lfwapao/with/6924288521/

Also, keep an eye on CBC National tonight.  Seems that the Grey Cup made an unexpected visit to some of the soldiers and CBC North was able to capture it as it made the rounds with the troops (hope someone checked it for zappers after) It may make the news.

Strike said:
Some pretty awesome pics on the LFWA Flickr photo stream.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lfwapao/with/6924288521/

Also, keep an eye on CBC National tonight.  Seems that the Grey Cup made an unexpected visit to some of the soldiers and CBC North was able to capture it as it made the rounds with the troops (hope someone checked it for zappers after) It may make the news.

LOL!, who approved some of the captions?

LE2012-0030-006
18 Feb 12
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Arctic Ram 2012
Photo Credit: MCpl Holly Cowan

Diesel jerry cans are loaded up on a komatik sleds which will be transported by members of the Arctic Response Company Group to Forward Operating Base Maiden II as part of training during Exercise Arctic Ram.

Most if not all the jerries in the pic are gas....

Red top on jerry = GAS
Yellow = Diesel

NFLD Sapper said:

Red top on jerry = GAS
Yellow = Diesel

Well, you can always e-mail the photographer and reference the picture that has the caption error. Given that the caption has her first and last name on it you can probably figure it out.  ;D

NFLD Sapper said:

Red top on jerry = GAS
Yellow = Diesel

Wow nothing like being overly nit picky.  Who cares how it is captioned, the essence is there.  I think you need to go grab a beer dude ;)

[size=6pt]edited as I lost half the message in a cut and paste.

How about captions that get ranks wrong? "Pte Harris from 1 RCHA" instead of Gnr.

jeffb said:
How about captions that get ranks wrong? "Pte Harris from 1 RCHA" instead of Gnr.

If the guy's a driver or something other than Arty, even though posted to an Arty unit, wouldn't they be a Pte as opposed to a Gnr?

I don't know the pic you're talking about so I can't say.

Most people outside the army understand Pte, the majority would not understand Gnr.  Plus the CF does not recognize Gnr as an approved rank just look at the CFPAS program ;D

Back