• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa bridge construction

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the bridge in Petawawa leading on to base is taking so long to "fix"?

I don't mind leaving 40 minutes early to drive just under 3 km in the morning to work .
After work covering 300 meters in 30 minutes lets me catch up on army.ca posts- but honestly someone let me in on this secret.

Are they building an ark under the bridge?  Are they putting together some kind of machinery to smash molecules together?

How on earth can they spend months working on it with no visible improvement?

Is it too much to hire crews to work at night?

I have noticed this aswell, I'm very curious to know why it seems to be taking so long as well.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Are they building an ark under the bridge?  Are they putting together some kind of machinery to smash molecules together?

He knows too much.

Maybe it was in worse shape than they originally thought..........................having said that, I think everyone knows how important that bridge is and it would/ should be public news if that were the case.

Bridges in NB take forever too.  They hire Quebec firms who go home every weekend by arriving late on Monday and leaving early on Friday.  Apparently no one in NB knows how to fix a bridge.

They probably do but they lack the "kickback" skills of the Quebec firms. [ in fairness they do get much more practice]

Oh come on now, WORKING at NIGHT!?  :eek:

That just screams OH&S violation  ;D

Sarcasm aside, they did the same thing in Lower Mainland BC when repairing the rails on the SkyTrain. The bulk of the work would happen during the say at peak hours so that everyone and their dog who has to go to work or get home etc. has to account for an extra hour of travel due to delays. Why? Because it's not sound OH&S practice for them to work at night apparently.

If you noticed in the summer time, they had concrete barriers on the bridge narrowing the roadway as the workers during the day were fixing the sidewalls of the bridge.

Then the barriers were gone, and the road was ripped up with potholes and dirt on the road with no work crews, as they were working at night.

As well, for three weeks in a row, the bridge was closed during the weekends, as they were working on it the whole time.

Each morning drive there is a different part of the road finished and no work crews. If you noticed today, there is no dirt left, just the bottom layer of the asphalt were they tore it up; Evidence that they are working at night. Also shows that the bridge should be paved over any day now, and I assume complete.

But I also have no idea what the weather requirements are to asphalt a road, so who knows.

That help?

It wouldn't be too bad if all 2CMBG units didn't all end for the day at the same time, far to much traffic for the 2 exits on base. 

-Skeletor- said:
It wouldn't be too bad if all 2CMBG units didn't all end at the same time... far to much traffic for the 2 exits on base.  Unless you finish work at/before 1530 you are going to be stuck in traffic... even if you leave at 1700 - went to the Canex at that time and took me 20 mins to get off base.  With the current state of the bridge and having to slow down to a crawl to go over the bumps.. really slows things down.

One would think that with all the high-priced help paid to run the base someone would get the units together to reduce the congestion.

Sadly, common sense is far too uncommon.

dapaterson said:
One would think that with all the high-priced help paid to run the base someone would get the units together to reduce the congestion.

Tactical stuff!

The high priced help is fighting the strategic battle.......no really! :sarcasm:

dapaterson said:

The plan is to install 3 traffic circles at the major intersections on and off the base.  Though it will probably take another 12 years to build them if they once again hire one of the local royal families to build it...they work by the hour don't you know.  That and they'll have to offer up lessons on how to use one.

HULK_011 said:
If you noticed in the summer time, they had concrete barriers on the bridge narrowing the roadway as the workers during the day were fixing the sidewalls of the bridge.

Then the barriers were gone, and the road was ripped up with potholes and dirt on the road with no work crews, as they were working at night.

As well, for three weeks in a row, the bridge was closed during the weekends, as they were working on it the whole time.

Each morning drive there is a different part of the road finished and no work crews. If you noticed today, there is no dirt left, just the bottom layer of the asphalt were they tore it up;

Evidence that they are working at night. Also shows that the bridge should be paved over any day now, and I assume complete.

That help?

I cross that bridge every night, twice, between 7pm and 10pm going to the gym and back and I've never seen them working at night.

I know they shut the bridge down 3 times to hack away at it- whatever they did to the bridge doesn't seem readily apparent to me.  (I'm not an engineer mind you).

The road though seems to be getting worse and worse every day. Workers need not even be present on the bridge to slow traffic down- the bridge is so chewed up bumpy and rough that cars need to slow to a crawl to avoid damage. 

Those guys are seriously moving at the speed of sadness.

Isn't there a Combat Engineer Regiment in Petawawa?  Couldn't they do a ferry operation, or bridging, or something? 

:nod:

If vehicular traffic heading east on Petawawa Blvd is getting too busy due to all the PMV carrying a single uniform wearing member, often solitary in the veh, and usually with a cigarette in their hand....Perhaps they could instead bike to work, or heaven forbid:

Walk the 3-5 kms.

But that would require individual sacrifice, and we can not have that now can we?

dapaterson said:

Why don't you lay out all your experience in a CMBG?

Considering they started it in Aug it isnt taking forever... I think all the "engineers" who keep bitching about bridge construction on a few sites should offer their services if they feel they know more than the people doing the work... at least it is getting fixed before it falls into the river like 1972

riggermade said:
Considering they started it in Aug it isnt taking forever... I think all the "engineers" who keep bitching about bridge construction on a few sites should offer their services if they feel they know more than the people doing the work... at least it is getting fixed before it falls into the river like 1972

Interesting...
"When the Trans-Canada Highway bridge over the Petawawa sunk 10 inches one night in May, 1972, its closure disrupted one of the country's main transportation arteries. It was the CPR that became a shuttle service to keep Atomic Energy and the base running."
First collapse

ME

Tango2Bravo said:
Why don't you lay out all your experience in a CMBG?

? There's a base and a base commander who is responsible to deconflict use of base facilities to ensure units & formations reliant on the base are able to achieve their missions.  If there are access issues with the base, the B Comd should work with integral and lodger units to minimize the stresses where possible.

While there's a roll down effect to 2 CMBG, comd 2 CMBG doesn't command the base.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
They probably do but they lack the "kickback" skills of the Quebec firms. [ in fairness they do get much more practice]
Which may explain why the QC firms come in with the lowest bids (which, these days, governments are pretty much compelled to take)?  ;)

Back