• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa bridge construction

In addition to what Bluebulldog mentioned, it takes about 3 wks for load bearing concrete on piers and bridge abutments to cure sufficiently before putting dynamic loads on them (with some additives it can be faster however)

I think they read this thread and took my suggestion.  There hasnt been anyonne working on the bridge all day-they must be working at night now  ;D

ObedientiaZelum said:
I think they read this thread and took my suggestion.  There hasnt been anyonne working on the bridge all day-they must be wkrkkng at night now  ;D

Nothing in the municipal world moves that quickly......... ::)

PanaEng said:
In addition to what Bluebulldog mentioned, it takes about 3 wks for load bearing concrete on piers and bridge abutments to cure sufficiently before putting dynamic loads on them (with some additives it can be faster however)

Why does Jimmy Hoffa come to mind?

Bluebulldog said:
Nothing in the municipal world moves that quickly......... ::)

You never seen then do a grant application or a chance to complain to the feds then.  :nod:

Surprised no one here has mentioned a Bailey bridge yet.

I was at Pet in 72 when the bridge originally sank. If memory serves me right within a few days there was a pontoon bridge across the river and within two to three weeks a Bailey bridge - all done as an exercise for the engineers.

I'm quite surprised that the new bridge (40 some odd years is new in bridge terms I think) needs so much work.

Best of luck guys.

FJAG said:

I was at Pet in 72 when the bridge originally sank. If memory serves me right within a few days there was a pontoon bridge across the river and within two to three weeks a Bailey bridge - all done as an exercise for the engineers.

I'm quite surprised that the new bridge (40 some odd years is new in bridge terms I think) needs so much work.

Best of luck guys.

Technoviking said:
Isn't there a Combat Engineer Regiment in Petawawa?  Couldn't they do a ferry operation, or bridging, or something? 

:nod:

Not specifically a Bailey  Bridge, but I did suggest that 2 CER "do something"  ;D

Technoviking said:
If not for vehicular traffic, why not bicycle and foot traffic?  The former CP/CN lines here in NB have been turned into walking trails.

That would serve no purpose. There is a beautiful snowmobile, bike, walking bridge maybe 75 meters down stream of the rail bridge. It links to a trail that connects just behind McDonalds to Paquette. There is another trail that was recently built that connects Paquette to the road that runs along the back of 2 RCHA, Base HQ, etc.

FJAG said:
I was at Pet in 72 when the bridge originally sank.

I see a pattern here. And you were in Petawawa when 5RALC fired a 105mm round that stuck in the barrel? Yeah, sure.

FJAG said:

Not speaking for 2CER but, yes of course, we could put a bridge right alongside in a few days - after all the approvals and right of way are sorted out - the parts are there (may require a few extra panels from other stocks).
But that size bridge, the ACROW (http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Acrow_Bridge) - that's what we use now, not the old Bailey - is controlled by Area. Since there are alternate routes, it is not an emergency, Area will not commit a bridge to that location. However, they might, if there is enough demand from ppl/politicians...

Here are more samples of what can be done with those bridges: http://www.acrowusa.com/Portfolio.aspx

1 CER built a massive ACROW bridge over the Chilliwack river at Keith Wilson Rd back in the early 90s. It was the first one the CF did. Any old sappers have pics available?

Also, Bailey/ACROW is/are a single lane bridge, therefore still a choke point with no net gain, other than stretching out some sadly atrophied bridging muscles.

Kat Stevens said:
Also, Bailey/ACROW is/are a single lane bridge, therefore still a choke point with no net gain, other than stretching out some sadly atrophied bridging muscles.
We only hold single lane in our inventory; however, if required, we could source transoms for up to 3 lanes. Check the link above for some neat things you can do with XS700 panels.

CHIMO!

PanaEng said:
Not speaking for 2CER but, yes of course, we could put a bridge right alongside in a few days - after all the approvals and right of way are sorted out - the parts are there (may require a few extra panels from other stocks).
But that size bridge, the ACROW (http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Acrow_Bridge) - that's what we use now, not the old Bailey - is controlled by Area. Since there are alternate routes, it is not an emergency, Area will not commit a bridge to that location. However, they might, if there is enough demand from ppl/politicians...

Here are more samples of what can be done with those bridges: http://www.acrowusa.com/Portfolio.aspx

1 CER built a massive ACROW bridge over the Chilliwack river at Keith Wilson Rd back in the early 90s. It was the first one the CF did. Any old sappers have pics available?

Out here Arcow is losing favour to Modular bridging which allows greater spans, typical example
IMG_0677.jpg

This particular bridge collapsed twice, they had money to fix it, but not to do it correctly.
DSC01565.jpg

Old Sweat said:
I see a pattern here. And you were in Petawawa when 5RALC fired a 105mm round that stuck in the barrel? Yeah, sure.

I know nothing about 5 RALC and a stuck round, but I was there when one of the Militia regiments (I think it may have been 11 Fd but that could be libellous) fired a charge 7 round at charge 4 elevations and put a round right next to a cottage on the other side of the Petawawa River.  Been racking my brains trying to remember if you were there then as well.

PanaEng said:
We only hold single lane in our inventory; however, if required, we could source transoms for up to 3 lanes. Check the link above for some neat things you can do with XS700 panels.

CHIMO!

That being said if I recall correctly we only bought stock only to make  DSR2H sets.......

FJAG said:
I know nothing about 5 RALC and a stuck round, but I was there when one of the Militia regiments (I think it may have been 11 Fd but that could be libellous) fired a charge 7 round at charge 4 elevations and put a round right next to a cottage on the other side of the Petawawa River.  Been racking my brains trying to remember if you were there then as well.

That was a couple of months before I came back to the regiment.

Colin P said:
Out here Arcow is losing favour to Modular bridging which allows greater spans, typical example

This particular bridge collapsed twice, they had money to fix it, but not to do it correctly.
What particular modular bridge are you referring to?

That collapsed bridge doesn't look like it was a failure of the bridge itself but maybe the abutments or was hit by a flood.
ACROW might be a bit more expensive than most of the "modular" bridges out there but can't beat it for versatility - and you can build it by hand!

You are quite correct the abutment failed, they rebuilt the abutment and used the same length of bridge in the same location and the same abutment failed again during freshet.

Typical examples of modular bridging. I have seen 60m 100ton bridges put up in 3 days with 2 excavators and 1 bulldozer. Normally one excavator fords the river with the precast abutment, digs the hole, places the abutment and ties it into the approach, while the other excavator does the same on the other side. they assemble the bridge on one side and then the 2 excavators drag it across and lift it into place.

http://www.surespanconstruction.com/portfolio/project.php?id=247
http://www.surespanconstruction.com/portfolio/project.php?id=435
http://www.ruskinconstruction.com/services_temporarybridge.html

NFLD Sapper said:
That being said if I recall correctly we only bought stock only to make  DSR2H sets.......
Yes, but nothing stops a commander from getting more panels and parts from EETs from other areas iot go up 2 or 3 layers or buy the longer transoms (multi-lane) (with higher enough approval for say an emergency like in Nfld after the hurricane)
Also, some provinces (BC, ON, MAN I believe) have bridge parts stockpiles which can be used if the situation warrants it (provincial emergency)

Back