• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No Blackhawks for Canada

CDN Aviator said:
Maybe its just because its hard to determine tone on this site at times but it apears to me that you are dismissing these issues as if they were minor.

Actually I have no idea how hard or easy it would be, hence "issues".

AirCanuck said:
but that still brings it back around to the fact that we aren't looking to replace the griffins with a utility lift... atm we're still after the chinooks which are another category altogether as we've already said, so isn't it a moot point if they try again?

We might not be looking, but Sikorsky is looking for a sale, so rest assured they will be back sometime.

Thucydides said:
We might not be looking, but Sikorsky is looking for a sale, so rest assured they will be back sometime.

No I understand that, but what I meant was if we're not looking will it really matter?  I mean we aren't going to be persuaded, right?

AirCanuck said:
No I understand that, but what I meant was if we're not looking will it really matter?  I mean we aren't going to be persuaded, right?

It depends on who is being persuaded and what the persuasion is. Is the Air Force being persuaded we need a bigger and more capable helicopter? Is a senior officer or civil servant being persuaded a big program and career advancement is in the offing? Is a politician being persuaded that contracts and spin-offs will go to his/her riding? The military has often received items for reasons other than actual utility.

If it was only as simple as dropping by "Honest Ed's Military products emporium and bait shop", kicking a few tires and flying off the lot....

If only indeed.  The reasonings you mentioned really frustrate me...  I really despise the countless examples of millions wasted in either useless kit ordered or necessary kit canceled after having sunk in tons of money due to politics.

Difference is the Blackhawk is a kick ass chopper

Flawed Design said:
Since when have blackhawks been used in combat?  ::)

What about the blackhawks capability to offer fire support. They have some pretty good configurations.
But ya two different helicopters for 2 different roles.

Variants of the Blackhawk have been used in combat in Iraq many times.  I hope you're being sarcastic.

TheHead said:
Variants of the Blackhawk have been used in combat in Iraq many times.  I hope you're being sarcastic.

he was correcting an earlier statement, hence his mention of its ability to offer fire support.

AirCanuck said:
he was correcting an earlier statement, hence his mention of its ability to offer fire support.

My bad I was quickly skimming over this thread.  :salute:

Flawed Design said:
Man I'm glad we don't have those in the infantry. Carrying one C9 barrel is annoying enough, I can't imagine carrying 5 extra ones.

Wasn't it trialled on the set of Predator?  ;D

predator_minigun.jpg

http://world.guns.ru/machine/minigun-e.htm
(bottom of page for article)

AirCanuck said:

Really, so the automatic fire from a mini guns (in which mounts are built in for) is not fire support?  Well it is not an AH64, but thats comparing apples or oranges.

just my 2 cents

Edited to correct the number for the Apache

NL_engineer said:
Really, so the automatic fire from a mini guns (in which mounts are built in for) is not fire support?  Well it is not an AH64, but thats comparing apples or oranges.

just my 2 cents

Edited to correct the number for the Apache

*sigh
that's exactly the point that was being made - the fact that they have been config'd for fire support.

Back