• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Rucksack

RCR Grunt said:
The rest of us are due to be issued on the 17th, so I'll ask the same questions then and see what the response is. 

The poor supply tech that you ask how the ruck is to be warn will just be able to give you the standard answer, don't bother blaming the supply tech they just issue what is givin to them save the questions for when some general asks for questions.

dangerboy said:
The poor supply tech that you ask how the ruck is to be warn will just be able to give you the standard answer, don't bother blaming the supply tech they just issue what is givin to them save the questions for when some general asks for questions.

Oh I know, the supply tech didn't design the POS.  I just want confirmation that it is RTFO.  If I do tun across someone even remotely responsible for this thing, believe me, the questions will be asked.

Oh I know, the supply tech didn't design the POS.  I just want confirmation that it is RTFO.  If I do tun across someone even remotely responsible for this thing, believe me, the questions will be asked.

Questions I asked, and the responses given to me by the CTS guy (a GGFG Sgt):

Has the ruck been trialled with body armour?

Yes

How well did it work with plates?

Not as well as bare assed, but better then the old ruck.

How well does the waist belt grab onto your super-important-pelvis-hip-arch-bones over kevlar?

Most people have been sized wrong for body armour. Properly sized Body armour should come no lower than your belly button, and body armour fitted properly should ride above the waist pad.

My own first impressions are that I'm having trouble getting the shoulder straps sorted out. I'm getting pressure points underneath the black 2" tri-glides through the padding. I stayed after the classes to get some help on it from the CTS guy and he said that I'm part of the 10% of the population that needs the shoulder straps set up farther then a pinkie's width between the two tri-glides. His suggestion was to loosen it off, which I did on the spot and it did help. After bringing the ruck home I've decided that the pressure is still too uncomfortable, so I've be playing with it to see if I can get it set up better. No luck yet.

I guess these new rucksacks cost (IIRC) $600 a piece. It's too bad.

Lowe Alpine Saracens retail at only $350
http://www.lowealpine-usa.com/index.php?nav=24&search=cat&Category=Military&docp=16_536

Kifaru EMRs retail at $564.00
http://www.kifaru.net/MGemr.htm

Not to mention the fact that the issued ruck took 10 years to be developed...

I'll have a chance to march with the new ruck next week, so we'll see how that goes. I'm trying real hard to give this thing a fair shake, but I must admit that after the TV and Small Pack fiasco I'm preparing for the worst.

Wonderbread said:
Questions I asked, and the responses given to me by the CTS guy (a GGFG Sgt):

Has the ruck been trialled with body armour?

Yes

How well did it work with plates?

Not as well as bare assed, but better then the old ruck.

How well does the waist belt grab onto your super-important-pelvis-hip-arch-bones over kevlar?

Most people have been sized wrong for body armour. Properly sized Body armour should come no lower than your belly button, and body armour fitted properly should ride above the waist pad.

My own first impressions are that I'm having trouble getting the shoulder straps sorted out. I'm getting pressure points underneath the black 2" tri-glides through the padding. I stayed after the classes to get some help on it from the CTS guy and he said that I'm part of the 10% of the population that needs the shoulder straps set up farther then a pinkie's width between the two tri-glides. His suggestion was to loosen it off, which I did on the spot and it did help. After bringing the ruck home I've decided that the pressure is still too uncomfortable, so I've be playing with it to see if I can get it set up better. No luck yet.

I guess these new rucksacks cost (IIRC) $600 a piece. It's too bad.

Lowe Alpine Saracens retail at only $350
http://www.lowealpine-usa.com/index.php?nav=24&search=cat&Category=Military&docp=16_536

Kifaru EMRs retail at $564.00
http://www.kifaru.net/MGemr.htm

Not to mention the fact that the issued ruck took 10 years to be developed...

I'll have a chance to march with the new ruck next week, so we'll see how that goes. I'm trying real hard to give this thing a fair shake, but I must admit that after the TV and Small Pack fiasco I'm preparing for the worst.

You found the pressure points to be right around your rear shoulder blades/scapula?  I tried on a guy's ruck and whilst it wasn't sized exactly for me, we're similar builds and height, so it should've somewhat fit me, but I too found those pressure points as you described extremely uncomfortable.  When I took the stays out of his pack, I was amazed to see what an 'aggressive' curve they had to them; it looked like they were almost a ? mark type shape, designed for the hunchback of notre dame.  He replied that they were fitted for him according to the official sizing jig/stay bender.  I showed him the stays on my Kifaru EMR for comparison, which were not nearly curved as much.

I'd say you might want want to investigate the curvature of your stays; compare them to those of a commercial ruck from a high quality outdoors shop, i.e. MEC and it might be worth trying to tweak their (the stays on the CTS ruck) curve to better suit your body.

You found the pressure points to be right around your rear shoulder blades/scapula?  I tried on a guy's ruck and whilst it wasn't sized exactly for me, we're similar builds and height, so it should've somewhat fit me, but I too found those pressure points as you described extremely uncomfortable.

Yup, thats it. Just inside the shoulder blades.

I'd say you might want want to investigate the curvature of your stays; compare them to those of a commercial ruck from a high quality outdoors shop, i.e. MEC and it might be worth trying to tweak their (the stays on the CTS ruck) curve to better suit your body.

Thanks for the tip, tomorrow I'll see if a buddy can't bring his EMR into work and I'll see how my "custom" fit compares.

That said, these hot spots don't seem to be in any sort of physical contact with the internal frame stays. I'm going to ask around at work tomorrow and see if anyone else has had the same problem.

Wonderbread said:
Yup, thats it. Just inside the shoulder blades.

Thanks for the tip, tomorrow I'll see if a buddy can't bring his EMR into work and I'll see how my "custom" fit compares.

So guys in your bn are allowed to use the EMR? Thanks in advance.

So guys in your bn are allowed to use the EMR? Thanks in advance.

All I've said is that there is at least one person in my Bn that has an EMR at home.

I know when I was in BN not too long ago the RSM decried that all pers with the new ruck would be using it regardless if the had a 64 pattern or not.  He will be getting back from tour if not already soon so I wonder what his take is now.

I used an EMR in 1VP -- of course no one really cared what I did - they just tried not to get others to emulate me.

RCR Grunt said:
I overheard a couple Warrant Officers talking this morning about it.  One said that he tried it on with his tac-vest and couldn't do up the waist belt without a great deal of effort and strain.  Once the waist belt was done up, he tried the sternum strap, this resulted in no access to his magazines and extreme discomfort.  He asked the supply tech why it didn't fit right with the tac-vest.  Her reply was "It was not designed to be worn with your tac-vest, its supposed to go inside the ruck.  When asked how to access the ammunition during a contact, she shrugged and said "That's how it was designed."  This, to me, is mind-bottling.  Of course, I cannot confirm whether this conversation actually took place or not, as I was not their... but I trust the WO telling the tale.

Riiiiight.... and what does this Load Carriage Factsheet say about the TV?
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/PDF/FactSheets/TV_e.pdf

"The TV is compatible with the CTS Load Carriage System (LCS), which will include the Small Pack System and the Rucksack."

Not sure what doc the Supply Techs are quoting... but either way, something is not right here.

But...CTS wouldn't contradict themselves....would they??

Eye In The Sky said:
I went to the CTS site to read up on their pitch for the WWB maint and found the CTS Footwear FAQ WRT to the WWB.  More on link.

personnel are once again reminded that the WWB was never designed for wear below -10°C; it is not a "Cold" Wet Weather Boot.

Now if you go to the page on the WWB, and read the Concept of Use, it says: 

Concept of Use – The WWB will provide climatic and foot protection for the gap between the arctic footwear system and the current, temperate combat boot in cold, wet weather conditions.

And according to a MWO with "Tease" the soldier this ruck is the 22nd incarnation you'd think they would get it right by now.........

NFLD Sapper said:
And according to a MWO with "Tease" the soldier this ruck is the 22nd incarnation you'd think they would get it right by now.........

22nd incarnation of the Ruck; or

22nd incarnationn of the Project Officer?

George Wallace said:
22nd incarnation of the Ruck; or

22nd incarnationn of the Project Officer?

22nd incarnation of the "tease" the soldier ruck..... ::)

Maybe Vern can confirm this part  ???

I don't know about 22nd incarnation, but I watched guys in Pet, in 94, running around the base in big endless circles. Asked what they were doing? They said: "Trialing the new ruck". So it was probably the 1994 mentality that created and designed the 'new' ruck. Just my HO.

Heh...
Practice makes perfect.... it's just that some people need more practice time

E Bty jumped the 'new rucks beta version circa 1992...

E Bty jumped the 'new rucks beta version circa 1992...

The CTS guy said yesterday that the new rucks have been in development since 1998, exactly 10 years. I guess he was misinformed...

I think a NEW ruck was in design the day the first soldier put a 82 pattern ruck on...

Back