• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Game - Military Quotes

"I dont suffer from PTSD - I'm a carrier."
-unknown

"The difference between combat and sports is that in combat you bury the guy who comes in second.” - unknown

“If you are going through hell, keep going.” - Churchill

"We Dont Die We Just Go to Hell And Regroup." -
unknown

"May God have mercy on my enemy, for I will not"
- Gen. Patton Jr.

"Death solves all problems. No man, no problem."
- Joseph Stalin

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the common soldier
One died for your soul;
The other for your freedom."
- unknown

============================

Holy Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do you, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

The Soldier

It is the soldier, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer,
who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier, not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the soldier,
who salutes the flag,
who serves under the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.

By Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

~If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it

~Never judge a man until you have walked a thousand miles in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a thousand miles away and you have his shoes.

Veni, Vidi, Vici!
I came, I saw, I conquered!
  ~Iulius Caesar

Epic  :salute:

"Artillery takes the joy out of life."

Pvt (pte) David Webster, E-coy, 2/506 PIR
(as quoted in the book Band of Brothers)

"You destroy a factory, and they rebuild it. In six weeks they are in operation again. I kill all their workmen, it takes 21 years to provide new ones."
Air Marshal Harris RAF to General Ira Eaker USAAF.
Ref: "Fortress Without a Roof" by Wilbur H Morrison. 1982.

"The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
- from a post-war debriefing of a German General

In 1836, the Creek and Seminole Indian tribes in Georgia and Florida were waging war against the United States. The U. S. Army had its hands full. The Fifth Commandant of the Marine Corps offered the services of a regiment of Marines for duty with the Army. Henderson placed himself in command and, taking virtually the entire available strength of the Corps, left for the extended campaign after tacking a terse message on his office door which read:
"Have gone to Florida to fight Indians.
Will be back when War is over.

A. Henderson
Col. Commandant"

"Nuts!"

Anthony Clement McAuliffe, Commander of Division Artillery of the 101st Airborne.  Reply to a German surrender ultimatum in WWII.

At a prewar diplomatic conference, the Nazi Foreign Minister Ribbentrop "sniffed" to Eden and Churchill that if there was another war, the Italians would be on Germany's side!
To which Churchill supposedly replied: "that seems only fair, we had them last time!"...

Kind of reminds ya of your kid brother, always picked last when choosing sides for road hockey!

"The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards."

--Sir William Francis Butler

"All who wore uniforms are called veterans, but more than 90 percent of them are as uninformed about the killing zones as those on the home front."
            William Manchester
Ref:
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/06/14/magazine/the-bloodiest-battle-of-all.html?pagewanted=1

"Dick, I've covered for you a lot of times cause I thought you were a little crazy. But you're not crazy, you're mean. And this is just radio."
  Gooooood Morning, Vietnam!

ExSarge said:
Anti-Navy? No way not when you guys are getting those cute new uniforms! I really like the hats, they are so frilly!  :)

If the Tilly hat lives up to its rep, the one they gave me for the Gulf four years ago should still be floating around the Med somewhere. The odds of one of those new abominations winding up on my head are slim to none..... ;)

Anywho, glad I found this thread. Once I get home I will go through my 200 book colection of mil history, there are some great ones there that will fit this thread to a T.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
Erwin Rommel.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat....You ask, what is our policy? I say it is to wage war by land, sea, and air. War with all our might and with all the strength God has given us, and to wage war against a monstrous tyranny never surpassed in the dark and lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs-Victory in spite of all terrors-Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival."
Sir Winston Churchill.

"If it moves, salute it; if it doesn't move, pick it up; and if you can't pick it up, paint it."
-US Army basic training saying from the 30's and 40's

"The number of medals on an officer's breast varies in inverse proportion to the square of the distance of his duties from the front line."
Montague

A US Marine sniper being interviewed on TV:
Interviewer: "What do you feel when you shoot an enemy?"
Marine: "Recoil"

"Sentimental notions about war are for the writer who can work plots to suit his fancy.In reality, war is much different.'
-Beyond Valour patrick k o'Donnell

How true.This one hit home with me.

Major T. J. "King" Kong:
"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."
From "Dr Strangelove".
Trivia: Major Kong's comment about the survival kit ('a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff') originally referred to what city?

mariomike said:
Major T. J. "King" Kong:
"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."
From "Dr Strangelove".
Trivia: Major Kong's comment about the survival kit ('a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff') originally referred to what city?
Well, if you mean the quote was going to be different, perhaps Atlantic City?  Reno?  New York City?

PMedMoe said:
"Nuts!"

Anthony Clement McAuliffe, Commander of Division Artillery of the 101st Airborne.  Reply to a German surrender ultimatum in WWII.

I had read this was the edited version and that his actual response was an expletive.

Feldgendarme said:
I had read this was the edited version and that his actual response was an expletive.

That's the rumor, but according to Wikipedia (take with a grain of salt), it's not true.

According to an article in the Daily Mail the reply was not "Nuts" but a four letter expletive that was changed for propaganda purposes for domestic consumption. But that was not the case, according to Vincent Vicari, McAuliffe's personal aide who was there at the time. As quoted by Richard Pyle of the Associated Press December 12, 2004, Vicari said, "General Mac was the only general I ever knew who did not use profane language. 'Nuts' was part of his normal vocabulary."

"The barbarous custom of having men beaten who are suspected of having important secrets to reveal must be abolished. It has always been recognized that this way of interrogating men, by putting them to torture, produces nothing worthwhile."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Napoleon to Berthier 11 Nov 1798, Corres., V, no. 3606 p. 128 quoted in - Napoleon on the Art of War.

Back