• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need some Orientation

S

SCM1

Hello,

I will soon be a landed immmigrant in Canada and was strongly contemplating a career with the Canadian Armed Forces since I was always fond of the military.

As a quick backround:

I am originally from Lebanon, 27 years old with 2.5 years of work experience:

1 year as a Project manager at the Central Bank of Lebanon (implementation of statistical metadata)
1.5 years as a Business Development Manager at an International Logistics company in Kuwait (mostly Oil & Government affairs)

I also hold an MBA from the American University of Beirut (Business undergraduate too).

I know that for Landed Immigrants, being accepted into the Canadian Army could be tough however I will give it a go.

Could anyone provide me with any feedback on my profile and on the odds of being recruited in the Army?
Are there any tips or advices that you could suggest in order to improve my chances?

I am thinking of beginning an APICS (the American Production & Inventory Control Society) certification, specifically CPIM (Certified in Production & Inventory Management). Would that be a + when applying for example, to the Logistics Branch?

Many Thanks  

Well, being a landed immigrant as well about a good 10 years back and now being a full fledged Canadian Citizen, I will say to you that in case you are hoping to become a Commissioned Officer in the CF (Reserves or Regular) anytime soon in any MOC including Logistics without having your citizenship is an impossible feat especially since it is a high level and prestigious federal Govt occupation. By your academic credentials and some work experience you will be an asset to the CF at some point in time however not immediately. There are several occupations under the Logistics Branch for NCMs (Non-Commissioned Officers) which you should look into at www.dnd.ca under "Recruiting" to suit your educational background as you can enter as a NCM by being a Landed Immigrant either Regular or Reserves but in order to be an officer you MUST have a Canadian Citizenship which you can apply for after 3-4 years after you land or become a Permanent Resident (at least that is what it was when i landed). Again there is a lot of information that you can use from the site and by visiting your local CFRC or Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre (once you land) that no one here will be able to provide you with off hand. I started my CF career as a NCM in the Reserves and after being privileged with having Canadian citizenship I headed on over to the Reg Force to pursue my dreams as an officer in the CF. The process is no doubt long and at times disheartening but I tell you once you are there it is totally worth it! Good luck to you! :cdn:

as you can enter as a NCM by being a Landed Immigrant either Regular or Reserves but in order to be an officer you MUST have a Canadian Citizenship which you can apply for after 3-4 years after you land or become a Permanent Resident (at least that is what it was when i landed).

NO NO NO!!!   You cannot join the CF as a NCM or Officer in the Regular or Reserve Force unless you are a Canadian citizen.   While you did qualify your answer with "(at least that is what it was when i landed)", perhaps a visit to the recruiting site would help to keep you up-to-date before providing advice to others.

To SCM1:

You can apply to the CF once you have attained your Canadian citizenship.   If you have not lived in Canada for at least ten years preceding your application then you will be subject to a lengthy security check.

The recruiting website is www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca.

Thx kincanucks for the clarification, I guess things have changed since I joined. Cheers! :cdn:

Hi,

I went through this experience as a landed immigrant and later a proud Canadian citizen. In addition to  Kincanucks inputs even if you got your Canadian citizen and traveled away of Canada (visit, business, personal trip) in the last 10 years you will again be subject to a long security clearance which in my case took almost a 1year and 7 months. 

It might be a good idea to talk to a recruiter at this point. Call 1 800 856 8488 (toll free number for CFRC Calgary), and they will direct you to someone in your area who can help you.   ;)

I am currently in Kuwait, would you know if there are any Canadian forces in this part of the world?

SCM1 said:
I am currently in Kuwait, would you know if there are any Canadian forces in this part of the world?

The CF has no overseas recruiting capability.  Once you have met the requirements as I, a recruiter, have stated above you can apply to the CF.

i dont think he meant a recruiter in his area, i think he meant are their canadian soldiers in kuwait.. you may be right though.

Would anybody know of Canadian soldiers in Kuwait or Iraq?

There might have been some with the UN forces in Syria or Lebanon, still not sure.

All i can tell you its better to wait 10 beautiful years ( it may seems long but..) if you apply after 5 years you won't get recruited until you make 10 years this is what i was told by a recruiting officer...so well i waited 10 years i applied and everything is rolling, i have a friend who is in Canada for 8 1/2 years now and he was put to a hold until he does 10 years....so if you really want to join the CF its better to wait.

Cheers  :salute: :cdn: :salute:

Back