• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy whites

airmich said:
From Dress regs:

index.php

Good God!  :o

...and 284's sandals!  What in the frick were they thinking?  Is this the Divisional System at work?  ???

Good2Golf said:
  What in the frick were they thinking? 

They weren't!  Luckily, as you can see in the 'Notes', it's authorized for on board only.  At least someone was smart enough to realize that nobody would be caught dead wearing them ashore!

A decent Command team will let you wear a modified version at sea.  No socks, and you can wear your own sandals (the sports-type ones that stay on your feet with straps and are not slipons).  Even better, is just going to 'pirate rig', your own shorts and T's.  Of course, all of these are only for people that are off-watch and not part of the RRT (rapid response team) for emergencies.  Anyone wearing this gear though, is required to have their full uniform within reach/accessibility, in case of an emergency.

You know, it's like there's some geek somewhere in the bowels of 101 that has a fetish for the black oxfords and wearing them with as much stuff as possible...probably the same kind of guy that wears the oxfords with his civilian attire after hours because they just look too darn good.

I would think that a ship's ball cap, ship's t-shirt, your own shorts if of "reasonable design/style" and Trevia/Merrell-style sandals would make nice relaxed rig on board in warmer climates (of course keeping the flash gear nearby).

To come a bit closer to topic, I covet your guys' Summer #1's!  They rock!  Sadly, I feel like a bus driver in my stuff...*sniff*

Cheers,
G2G

Good2Golf said:
To come a bit closer to topic, I covet your guys' Summer #1's!  They rock!  Sadly, I feel like a bus driver in my stuff...*sniff*

bus driver....ice cream man...how could anyone ever choose?!?!

284_226 said:
You asked for it - complete with speckles of "Ship Side Grey".   ;D

Yup wore those with no socks and short sleeve shirt on Westploy 81 to the East Indies, at sea only. They were OK but I had to wear band aids where the leather met my skin.

why not a Khaki that would be good for all three services....that way when we have purple folks with us we all look the same. The Yanks do it. Just put your own slip ons on the epualettes......I think you Air guys would be really styling with light blue slip ons on a khaki shirt....army guys would probably have to iron 4 or 5 creases in the blessed thing! ;D

I'd got for khakis in a heart beat. Black shoes and well think a similar coloured peak cap would be better then the white ones. They just don't match IMO. Don't we have a stock of the old tan slip-ons some where? Those would be perfect for said uniform. I think honestly that it could even expand to include all shore type office duties where this tanish uniform would replace NCDs for those not in an environment to use them.

MedTech said:
I'd got for khakis in a heart beat. Black shoes and well think a similar coloured peak cap would be better then the white ones. They just don't match IMO. Don't we have a stock of the old tan slip-ons some where? Those would be perfect for said uniform. I think honestly that it could even expand to include all shore type office duties where this tanish uniform would replace NCDs for those not in an environment to use them.

I think in the RCN you were issued with a blue peaked cap...felt cover..and then you got a white cover and a khaki cover so you could adapt your hat to the order of dress. Wouldn't a softer less rigid style be better though, a wedge or a beret? NCMs could wear the boots with the outfit too.

Hmm a wedge would be interesting indeed. A Khaki cover wouldn't be too bad either, like a 100 mission crush cap :)

MedTech said:
Hmm a wedge would be interesting indeed. A Khaki cover wouldn't be too bad either, like a 100 mission crush cap :)

The big inconvenieces I find with the peaked cap is that it is hard to pack and it is also not really designed to be comfortably worn when getting in and out of today's compact vehicles.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
The big inconvenieces I find with the peaked cap is that it is hard to pack and it is also not really designed to be comfortably worn when getting in and out of today's compact vehicles.

At least the peaked cap holds it shape better then the boler!  I was to the point where I would just put it in my carryon rather then try to pack it and worry about it's condition.

IN HOC SIGNO said:

That's true, owning one of said small vehicles myself. However, there is just something about the wedge that just doesn't seem to suit anyone else but the Air Force IMO. I know the USN and the USMC both have similar type head dress, and they are of the Naval service, but I don't know... just looks better with a blue uniform.

MedTech said:
... just looks better with a blue uniform.

Maybe because that is how we are used to seeing it in the CF?  Think back to when each of the elements had the peak cap and boler.  Looking back on pictures now, we shake our heads at how they looked for the AF and Army.  

As much as I prefer the colour and sharpness of the Navy uniform (and if I had to pick an element based on uniform, I would have stayed Navy!), I do enjoy the convenience of the wedge over the boler.  Now the beret over the ballcap....well, that's another story.  :-\

MedTech said:
I'd got for khakis in a heart beat. Black shoes and well think a similar coloured peak cap would be better then the white ones. They just don't match IMO.

...so if I'm reading this correctly, isn't this the USN Service khaki uniform?  They're planning on ditching the khaki at sea and keeping it as something like a 3-piece suit...

On a serious(ish) note, a khaki uniform for all 3 services with black shoes/boots, slip-ons of appropriate service, and beret would be perfect.  It even saves the gov't $ and the member from bringing duplicates of everything to get the right colour combination... ;)  I have this strange feeling that it'll look suspiciously like the old Army DEU Tans though.

Dimsum said:
...so if I'm reading this correctly, isn't this the USN Service khaki uniform?  They're planning on ditching the khaki at sea and keeping it as something like a 3-piece suit...

On a serious(ish) note, a khaki uniform for all 3 services with black shoes/boots, slip-ons of appropriate service, and beret would be perfect.  It even saves the gov't $ and the member from bringing duplicates of everything to get the right colour combination... ;)  I have this strange feeling that it'll look suspiciously like the old Army DEU Tans though.

Yes it probably would....the old RCN and the RCAF tan tunic was single breasted and very much like the CF tan. i think it had that old funny belt though that started at the sides.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
Do you think the SFOR guys would mind if we wear a tan beret?? >:D
Oh hahaha, that thought did cross my mind though :D

airmich said:
Maybe because that is how we are used to seeing it in the CF?  Think back to when each of the elements had the peak cap and boler.  Looking back on pictures now, we shake our heads at how they looked for the AF and Army.  

Ah yes, I know, but looking back at the days when the wedge style cap was also worn by the Army, I still can't say I'm too thrilled about it. It's just got that Air Force feel to it that I can't seem to abandon.

Dimsum said:

Naw, no one's saying we'll wear the khakish uniform to sea. It's purely for shore duty and those who don't need to be in NCDs all day. Tans were okay... I guess?

Dimsum said:

Is this rig still worn?  It might be what you're looking for.

Back