• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval officer named vice-chief of defence staff

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Naval officer named vice-chief of defence staff
Updated Sun. Jun. 15 2008 12:10 PM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

Defence Minister Peter MacKay says the government has appointed a senior naval officer to be vice-chief of defence staff for the Canadian Forces.

Rear Admiral J.A.D. (Denis) Rouleau took the position on the advice of incoming chief of defence staff Gen. Walter Natyncyzk, Defence Minister Peter MacKay told CTV's Question Period on Sunday.

"I know it's going to be a very dynamic team with Walt Natancyzk and Denis Roleau," he said.

Gen. Rick Hillier will be stepping down as CDS on July 1 after more than three years on the job.

Natyncyzk was Hillier's vice-chief.

Roleau is a graduate of the Royal Military College  in Kingston, Ont.

Along with his naval duties, he did a tour with NORAD, working as a missile control officer in the aerospace defence agency's headquarters in Cheyenne Mountain, Colo.

In 1988, he also was among the initial Canadian military staff to serve with the U.S. Space Command.

For a year starting in January 2006, he commanded the Multi-National Standing NATO Maritime Group 1 (SNMG1) at sea.
More on link

Harley Sailor said:
It'll be nice to see if the navy can handle working with the army in a war zone.  Or will the CDS handle the war zone and let the VCDS handle the rest.

What????

Please explain what you are talking about.

Rear-Admiral Denis Rouleau to be promoted to Vice-Admiral and appointed VCDS.

Press release: http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=868697
Blog post: http://davidakin.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2008/6/15/3746394.html

Harley Sailor said:
It'll be nice to see if the navy can handle working with the army in a war zone.  Or will the CDS handle the war zone and let the VCDS handle the rest.

Agreed....your statement is rather odd could you please clarify it.

Anyone have any idea what VCDS Rouleau priorities are going to be like?

His strategic analysis and threat focus?

His opinions on JSS, FELEX, DRP, the Victoria's, the Arctic OPV's, etc.?

Bottom Line:  What (if anything) will he change, if given the funds and the power?

Matthew.  :salute:

Cdn Blackshirt said:
Anyone have any idea what VCDS Rouleau priorities are going to be like?

His strategic analysis and threat focus?

His opinions on JSS, FELEX, DRP, the Victoria's, the Arctic OPV's, etc.?

Bottom Line:  What (if anything) will he change, if given the funds and the power?

Matthew.   :salute:

Yup but its nothing that can be shared at present.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Yup but its nothing that can be shared at present.

Bummer....I think for the most part the Army has developed its new identity, and as such the next most important set of decisions becomes the long-term structure of the Navy.

Matthew.  ???

Harley Sailor said:
Use your imagination.  I did.

I have no imagination to speak of. So play the scenario out for me please..

RAdm (to be VAdm) Rouleau has been an incredibly level-headed and objective Chief of Programme, working for the VCDS to ensure the proper management of the financial and programmatic runnings of the CF.  I would only assume he would carry out his duties as VCDS with the same amount of CF-wide/joint professionalism that has marked his conduct as CProg to date.  Any other insinuations are misguided and in fact do not give RAdm Rouleau the respect he deserves and has earned.

G2G

Harley Sailor said:
I too would enjoy reading your clarification to this statement, do entertain us.

Harley Sailor said:

I don't know exactly what your saying but be very careful on what your implying about naval officers :threat:

It seems strange to me that the thread about the new CDS is all about the man and what a great job he is going to do.

Then when a new thread is put in about the new VCDS and an off the wall comment is made, more of the thread is about the comment then about the new VCDS.  Is that because there is not a lot of good that can be said?

Harley Sailor said:
It seems strange to me that the thread about the new CDS is all about the man and what a great job he is going to do.

Then when a new thread is put in about the new VCDS and an off the wall comment is made, more of the thread is about the comment then about the new VCDS.  Is that because there is not a lot of good that can be said?

Nope, check out the other thread "derailments" when people make vague comments and don't back them up or explain them.

Harley Sailor said:

Then all the better to clarify the off the wall statement you made. Everyone seems to be at a loss on what you are saying so either clarify or withdraw it.

Milnet.Ca Staff

RAdm Rouleau is the best non-qual CO I had. We could have really used him on the boats.

That being said, I think the VCDS position is more about executing policy than forming it. I don't think it really matters as much what his own thoughts are at this point.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Then all the better to clarify the off the wall statement you made. Everyone seems to be at a loss on what you are saying so either clarify or withdraw it.

Milnet.Ca Staff

I'm sure if I really say what I think about his appointment I'll get another verbal warning so I'll just stay out of this thread in the future.

Back