• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

When still a young Cpl, met a RCEME MWO who had been involved with the Bobcat develompent user trials.

The one point he remembered most was that the vehicle was "underpowered" - just not enough "oomph"!

As an infantry combat vehicle, it was missing something.... like adequate protection for the troops who were expected to stick their heads out of the "rolled back" roof
-  harks back to the good old days of Halftracks

Geo,

Yes, I believe the Bobcat was just not up to the requirements of modern warfare at that time.  It was under development from 1958 to 1964 and the problems still couldn't be worked out.  I always thought that an APC with a flat front glacis would be an ATGM gunner's dream.

Now, what is this vehicle?  What unit is it in? (Hint: The unit can be deduced from clues in the photo.)

Dan.

M60 cupola on the turret
US Army 42nd Engineers

AHHHH!!!
M728 Combat engineer vehicle

http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m728.php

Geo got the vehicle, but did it belong to the 42nd Engineer Company, US Army Berlin Brigade?  Like the following?

Geo,

Okay, but what was the driver's mother's maiden name?  Dang, didn't take you much more than 13 minutes to get it!

An M728 CEV of the Berlin Brigade photographed during a parade.  I don' know the exact date but the magazine I took it from is dated 1976.  The clues to identify the unit, 42nd Engineers, can be seen on the dozer blade (42 E) and also on the guidon being flown above the left fender.  For bonus points the other marking on the blade (E 67) indicate E Company of the battalion, 6th sub-unit within E Company, 7th vehicle in the line of march.  (I know I know, I'm only showing off now.)

Over to you, Geo.

Dan.

PS:  Blackadder, read your post after I posted the above answer.  Was it the 42nd Engineer Company or E/42nd Engineers?

42nd Engineer Bn (Construction) - Alaska, built DEW line radar sites
42nd Engineer Regt
42nd Engineer Mtce Platoon - Berlin Bde

Mother's maiden name was Bellamy

(Platoon sergeant Bellamy - Kelly's Heroes - was 42nd Engineers )

exspy said:
PS:  Blackadder, read your post after I posted the above answer.  Was it the 42nd Engineer Company or E/42nd Engineers?

http://www.western-allies-berlin.com/units/us-army/us-army
Engineer
503d Engineer Company (LE) (1949)
7762th Engineer Battalion (1946-1952)
579th Engineer Utilities Company (1946-1952)
581st Engineer Supply and Maintenance Company (1946-1952)
Company A 20th Engineer Battalion (1961-1963)
42d Engineer Company (1963-1994)

Partially correct. It is the 279, but only one was produced.

In 1957, a group of engineers, headed by L.S.Troyanov, developed a prototype of a new heavy tank, named "Object 279". This was a very unique vehicle. The tank had a classic layout, but the problem of protection was solved by an unusual design feature. The hull of the tank was covered by a thin elliptical shield. That shield protected the tank against HEAT ammunition and to prevent it from overturning during a nuclear explosion.
The thickness of the glacis plate was 269 mm, and the thickness of the turret was 305 mm. The tank was armed with a 130 mm M-65 gun and a coaxial 14.5 mm KPVT machine-gun. The ammunition carried for the main gun was 24 shells. The Engine was a 16-cylinder diesel DG-1000 (950 hp) or 2DG-8M (1000 hp). The tank's crew consisted of four men.
Another unusual feature of the tank was the chassis. It consisted of four tracks combined in pairs. Such construction increased the tank's height, but guaranteed that the tank would rarely get bogged down. The tank also had great tractability on snowy and swampy terrain. At the end of 1957, a single tank had been built, but after that the project was abandoned. The "Object 279" is now displayed at Kubinka.
http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=44&lang=en

well dang, i knew about the one prototype, but i thought they made 2 more.. or at least they were planning to.

Back