• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

nsmedic thats the dutch fenek(sp) also used by the danes
R711 OUT

the plane?

Boss Boss..The Plane The Plane!

The non-VABs...ummmmm

shite

oh oh!

that bad ass is...........a...a............

wait one!

They were usin' them in Rhodesia...no?

Geez, don't you guys ever sleep?

Ok, just to go back a bit, this one is not a centurion

Here's a photo:
065.jpg

Now, there are a few clues in the picture as to the timeframe/campaign in which it was used, which may also assist in determining model, variant, etc.
As for the "Centurian-like" photo with the jammy cam, would it be a Chieftain in Iraqi service?  Just a wild guess....(I don't even know if Pre-Saddam Iraq even had British stuff!)

This never saw combat or even production.  Hint: it was to be a light tank used in "combat reconnaissance".
vk1602.jpg

I'd say your first tank is a Panzerkampfwagen IV, and perhaps a C or D mark .  Armed with a low-velocity 75mm gun there was a platoon in each Panzer company during the early years of the war.  It was there to provide the firepower against infantry and strongpoints that the MkIIIs could not generate with their 37mm or 50mm cannons.  It's large turret ring meant that it could be progressively upgraded.  The Mk IVF2 had a long-barrelled high velocity cannon capable of tackling the T34 and the MkIVH with an even longer gun.  It stayed in production until the end of the war, and was arguable Germany's most important tank.

The second I have no idea.  Maybe the mythical "Lynx?"

2Bravo said:
I'd say your first tank is a Panzerkampfwagen IV, and perhaps a C or D mark .  Armed with a low-velocity 75mm gun there was a platoon in each Panzer company during the early years of the war.  It was there to provide the firepower against infantry and strongpoints that the MkIIIs could not generate with their 37mm or 50mm cannons.  It's large turret ring meant that it could be progressively upgraded.  The Mk IVF2 had a long-barrelled high velocity cannon capable of tackling the T34 and the MkIVH with an even longer gun.  It stayed in production until the end of the war, and was arguable Germany's most important tank.

The second I have no idea.  Maybe the mythical "Lynx?"
It is a Mark IV, but not a C or D mark.  Hint: note the White Cross on the side of the turret. 
The second is not the mythical "Lynx".  The Mk II was also known as "Luchs" (Lynx).  Hint: it does begin with "L", it is a feline, and it sounds very familiar :D

Back