• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

T95E8.  This particular vehicle is hull serial number 5.  Not sitting in the Balkans, but in West Virginia.

(unable to post the next veh for a while, so I yield my turn)

Blackadder1916 said:
T95E8.  This particular vehicle is hull serial number 5.  Not sitting in the Balkans, but in West Virginia.
That is correct.

The T95 series were American prototype tanks from the mid-1950s and early 1960s. The vehicles incorporated many high-tech features that appeared in later tanks. Among these innovations was siliceous-cored armor, a precursor of modern composite armors. The T95 also featured the T53 OPTAR rangefinder, which used an intense beam of light to calculate range. Various T95s were armed with guns ranging in caliber from 90mm to 120mm. There was much expected of the T95 program when it was initiated, but slow progress dogged the development process. It was finally decided that the T95 would not offer an appreciable benefit over an upgunned and re-engined M48A2 Patton, so the T95 was cancelled in favor of what eventually became the M60. Much was learned from the T95, however, and the pilot tanks were used for further component testing after the cancellation of the program. T95s took part in experiments with hydropneumatic suspensions, engines, and combination gun/missile launchers, with this experience directly influencing the M60A2 and MBT70 projects.

More here:  http://www.jedsite.info/tanks-tango/tango-numbers-us/t095_series/t95-series.html

MCG said:
and now for something completely different:

TOS-1  Russian thermobaric MLRS

1-1-TOS-1_Buratino_220mm_Multiple_Rocket_Launcher.jpg

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/tos-1.htm

chanman said:
Yes.  TOS-1 Buratino.  First employed operationally (apparently) in Afghanistan and then again later in Chechnya. 

T-84-120 Yatagan or T-84UD Oplot Main Battle Tank? 

The Yatagan is below:

h53l.jpg

Not yet.

Not that this likely helps much, but this vehicle is, as far as I can find, still in prototype form only.

The Yatagan is a prototype.  It is also known as the KERN2-120 (is that the name you are looking for?)  The Kharkiv Morozov Machine Building Design Bureau doesn't have any tank prototypes other than the Yatagan on the books so I think I am ready to give up.

stegner,
You've got more than one type of tank in your picture.

The triple diver viewing block is the T-80/84  while the single diver viewing block (as on the second tank& the what is it pic) is T-72AG.  If it is a prototype, it may be T-72 -120

MCG I think you got it it is a T-72AG.  An upgrade option offered by Kharkiv Morozov for existing T-72 stocks.  The T-72AG does incorporate key components of the Oplot/T-80UD main battle though-which was throwing me off.  But your observation of the single drive viewing block is something I missed and is the key to solving this intriguing riddle. 

I'm leaning more to the T-72-120 (my picture above)  as the turret accessories & barrel are more alike.

Back