• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

looks like a version between the Stuart and Sherman tanks.

If its not the M22, then its the M5

tango22a said:
M22 Locust

Close enough.  Photo was actually of a T9E1, but that developed into the M22. 

The original specification for an air-transportable light tank was issued in May of 1941, with a target weight of eight tons. Three companies were invited to submit designs, Christie, GMC and Marmon-Herrington. The Marmon Herrington design was selected for production with the designation T9. After the first vehicles were delivered in late 1941, it was found to be too heavy, and a number of alterations were made, such as making the main turret removable, and removing the gun stabilization and power traverse systems. The resulting vehicle was designated T9E1.

The resulting vehicle could be airlifted only by the C-54 Skymaster, and only with turret removed and placed inside the fuselage and the tank hull suspended below the wing. As the British had the Hamilcar glider which was big enough to carry the M22 ready for battle, they took over the vehicles. Of 1,900 Locusts ordered, only 830 were delivered.

In a number of vehicles guns were fitted with a Littlejohn adaptor, which produced higher muzzle velocity.

The British 6th Airborne Division used the M22 in March 1945 crossing the Rhine in Operation Varsity. After the war some Locusts were given to Egypt and were employed there until 1956, including in the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. Some tanks were captured by the Israel Defense Forces . Three of those were adopted by the IDF; all were retired by 1952.

You're next.

Sorry Gentlemen, but I haven't any pix worth posting. Would somebody else plase take over

Thanks,

tango22a

Looks like a Piranha I or II 6x6, but the wheel configuration is wrong for those generations.  Therefore, Pandur from Steyr-Daimler-Puch

wrong country.

edit- Ach, I'll give to you.

They are licensed to too many other countries. The Amb version is exactly the same in Austria as it is in this NATO country that uses them.

Pandur from AV Technology International (a General Dynamics company) in Michigan.

Correct on the country. They call it the Valuk.

yours,
A T34 turret on a T55 chassis...

hmm?

tango22a said:
That is correct.  Your turn.

The T-44 was an evolution of the T-34 and direct parent of the T-54.  Besides torsion bar suspension and perpendicular engine layout there were some other technical inventions applied.  The revolutionary design of the T-44 has defined the whole Soviet tank development for the next several decades.  The height of the engine compartment was lowered by relocating the air-filter. By the way, the V-44 engine was equipped with an improved fuel system thus it's power was increased from 500 to 520 h.p.  Besides this, the tank had an improved cooling system, a new 5-speed gearbox and side clutches taken from the T-34. It had a new turret fitted with the ZIS-S-53 gun. The turret was relocated from the front to the center of vehicle, making shooting more accurate. The frontal armor was increased to 120 mm.  To increase the strength of the hull's frontal armor (glacis), the driver's hatch was relocated from the frontal plate to the roof and the bow machine-gun was completely removed. The T-44-85 prototype had a distance between the first and the second road wheel, on production T-44's between the second and the third road wheel.

In 1944, the tank successfully passed all trials and was accepted for service.  However, it never saw combat in WW II because the Soviet Army was unready to accept a new tank & the risks to supporting it.  In 1945, a new turret was developed to accept a 100 mm D-10T gun. Over the loader's hatch a 12.7 mm DShK AAMG was installed. The sides and chassis of the T-44 were protected with 6 mm anti-HEAT skirts.

In 1946, after the introduction of the T-54, which was the direct descendant, the further development of the T-44 was canceled. It was in mass production until 1947 & modernized/upgraded versions of the tank remained in Soviet service until the 1970's.

MCG and others:

Maybe I should stay off this topic as I don't have any pix to post. Would some other kind soul please take over?

Thanks,

tango22a

tango22a said:
Maybe I should stay off this topic as I don't have any pix to post. Would some other kind soul please take over?
No worries, someone will always find a next picture if you cannot.  Lets try this:

tango22a said:
Possibly a replacement fof theBandkanone 155mm SPG on an S-Tank chassis.
It could be a replacement, but only if Sweden decides to go shopping in another country. 

Back