• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name The Weapon!!!

OK history buffs.  Here's one for ya.
Make and model pls.  Extra points for any interesting bits of UFI thrown in.

You got 'er.  It was the US issue rifle of the Lewis and Clark expedition. (amongst other things)

And the first rifle to use a metal ramrod, instead of the usual wooden one :)

I'll see what I can dig up later today

Here's a question that I should know the answer to, how is the danger of sparking when using a metal ram rod avoided?  Is it made of brass or another non-sparking metal?  Any black powder guys out there know?

As a member of a 78th Fraser Highlanders demonstration unit, I carry a  replica 1742 long land pattern musket.  The metal ramrods have brass heads.  Presumably that reduces the risk of sparking, although the ramrod itself is steel and makes contact with the barrel.  Other versions of the "Brown Bess", such as the India Pattern, don't have the brass head to the ramrod.  I've never seen an incident of accidental discharge while loading.  It's generally enough of a challenge to get the muskets to fire when you want them to.

Yep my Harpers Ferry has a brass tipped ram rod.  There is more danger of an ember in the barrel than a spark from the rod. (that's why you never load directly from the powder horn)  Because the ram rod is used to push the ball/bullet and patch into place after the powder is in the barrel the risk of a spark igniting anything from the steel on steel contact is very minimal.

Here is another, Country ,Caliber ,etc...be careful it may not be what you think at first glance :)

Swedish,

Light machine gun - Kulsprutegevaer Fm/Kjellman

In 1870 Lt. D. H. Friberg got a patent for his operating principles of a machine gun!

The earliest drawing found are dated 1882! This was before Maxim made his machine gun. Due to the black powder ammunition which was used at that time, the gun became full with slag very fast and malfunctioned. Because of this reason nothing came out of Friberg’s invention that time.

Nothing happened with the design until Sweden adopted the smokeless ammunition 6.5x55 mm - cartridge m/1894. Another Swede Rudolf Henrik Kjellman refined the design 1907. It was the locking system which was unique and it was later used in many famous automatic rifles and machine guns like the Russian DP28  and the German MG42. The feeding systems are different but the breech-locks have similarities.

One of the locking lugs on the Fm/Kjellman was positioned on top of the bolt and the other in the bottom.
The locking lugs of the bolt are pushed into engagement with the top and bottom of the receiver by the striker.
kjellman071.jpg

kg_kjellman01.jpg

Here's my contribution....I would put up a couple pics from the Aberdeen Proving Grounds museum, but the camera's still in the van, and the wife's out with the van right now...

gun.JPG

Good luck....

cocking handle looks like it is off a vickers but the pistol grip is all wrong.  Also the tripod is waaay smaller than the monster one we had for the Vickers.

will say that this is an early version of the Browning 30 cal water cooled

Three hints...

1.  The "cocking handle" is also a manual operating mechanism.

2.  The tripod has a single long rear leg, with two stubby front ones.

This gun was prototype only....

NS

Ahhh....  the tripod seat

Maxim MG - different mount to the one provided would be the "gun carriage".  Also, they eventually changed the pistol grip to a more conventional

Fires 303?

Ok, Last hint, check Volume 1 of the Machine Gun Bible for something made in 1897....

NS

Well it's not a Nordenfeldt, Gardner, or Vickers so it's a Maxim/Vickers MG01 clone of some kind

Check page 204-206

"Nordenfelt Machine gun, model 1896."

"A weapon that made its appearance on the continent in the prototype stage only was known ast eh Nordenfelt model 1897.  It was actually the invention of Capt. W. Bergman of the Swedish army, who sold his patent outright to the Nordenfelt Co.. then located in Paris, France."

"The outstanding feature of the gun was that it was designed for both automatic and manual operation.  Its rate of fire was 600 rounds per minute when fired full automatic.  On conversion to manual operation, it had a rate of fire of 130 shots per minute. 

The operating mechanism is completely contained in a receiver, with bearings that support the barrel fore and aft.  The gun is water cooled, having a jacket with valves to vent off steam.  The rear of the receiver has two quick openings that permit the operator to get at the mechanism for purposes of inspection or clearing a malfunction."

"The most noteable feature of the feed system is that in 1897 the gun employed a push-out type of metallic link that is practically identical with ones used today."

Wow! That's really neat! Learn something new and interesting every single day!

Ok tox23 allow me to explain how the game is played as you may not have read the previous 29 pages in this thread.

Someone initially ( waay back on page 1) posted a picture and the first one to correctly identify the weapon is then allowed to post a picture and so on and so on. Just like back in Kindergarden we all share and take turns. Either play nice from now on or it's nap time for you.

A little friend I met 'over there', but sadly had to leave her behind when I left.

She was a she67 (tell me what that means), you tell me the model, calibre, and where she was made. Its a easy one.

Also tell me whats missing, and what's special about its muzzle (shyte, this is all too easy, ha!)

Also identify the bayonet, type 1 or II, and what nationality it is. Yes, it is not Russian :)

Cheers,

Wes

Back