• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Michael McNeil, William Elliott, Travis Halmrast, R.I.P. (27/28 Nov 2013)

MilEME09 said:
There is also word of a 4th suicide in Quebec that MP's are investigating, a Vandoo this time. Troubling week and saddening that it look this to get the issue into the public spot light.

It is NOT confirmed yet that it is a suicide. I was in direct contact with a family member of his a few hours ago who told me that the military is investigating the death, that the military is still in touch with his family elsewhere in Quebec, and that the family will be issuing a press release 'shortly'. Please hold back on speculation out of respect for the family until something official is released by those in a position to know.

The fourth death is being investigated as a suicide.  From here: http://globalnews.ca/news/1007529/soldier-attempts-suicide-after-told-ptsd-will-end-his-military-career/

Defence officials confirmed Tuesday that military police are investigating the death of a member of the Royal 22e Regiment at CFB Valcartier in Quebec as the fourth apparent Canadian Forces suicide in a week.

Frig... I was really hoping it would turn out to be something else.

Something has to give....... My condolences to all that believe there is nothing else you can do. I'm sorry for all the families involved in all cases past, present and future.

I'm so saddened to hear about another tragic incident. My heart goes out to their loved ones.  :cdn: :yellow:

mrjasonc said:
Something has to give....... My condolences to all that believe there is nothing else you can do. I'm sorry for all the families involved in all cases past, present and future.

Something has, that is why this is so tragic.

Canada rocked by rash of soldier suicides in one week BBC News

The Canadian military is soul searching after the suicides of up
to four soldiers in just a week. Defence officials told media that
three of as many as four Canadian Forces members who took
their own lives in recent days had served in Afghanistan.

Senator Romeo Dallaire, a retired general, blamed a recent traffic
accident on stress over the deaths.

The incidents have raised questions over post-traumatic stress
disorder (PTSD). The latest death, of a married 46-year-old soldier
whose body was found on Monday near his base in Quebec, is being
treated as an apparent suicide. Sylvain Lelievre had served in Bosnia
and Afghanistan. In the past week, the bodies of Warrant Officer Michael McNeil,
Master Cpl William Elliott and Master Bombardier Travis Halmrast have
also been discovered.

'Out of steam'

The men were based in Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta respectively.
It is not known if the soldiers suffered from PTSD, but mental illness
has not been ruled out as a cause.

Col Rakesh Jetly, a military psychiatrist, told the Globe and Mail he
expects the number of soldiers dealing with PTSD to rise in coming
years as they return from Afghanistan.

Defence Minister Rob Nicholson issued a statement saying: "We all
have a role to play in reaching out to those who are hurting and
encourage them to get help.

"I want to remind those who may be going through difficult times
that you are not alone and there is support available to get you
through this."

Mr Dallaire acknowledged that he, too, had suffered from PTSD
after witnessing atrocities as a United Nations force commander
in Rwanda during the 1994 genocide. He told Senate colleagues
on Tuesday that a minor car crash he had a day earlier was
caused by a lack of sleep due to stress over the recent military suicides.

"I simply ran out of steam," he said.

From WO McNeil's funeral - highlights mine ....
A member of the military whose husband was killed in Afghanistan urged her comrades to come forward if they're suffering post-traumatic stress disorder during her eulogy Thursday for a soldier whose death has brought attention to the struggles some face after combat.

As Lt. Kendra Mellish concluded her remarks at Warrant Officer Michael McNeil's funeral, she directly addressed members of the Royal Canadian Regiment and other military personnel at the packed service held at an armoury in Truro, N.S., where McNeil first became a reserve in the early 1990s.

"I'm confident without a doubt that there is someone here who is suffering the way Michael was suffering. You are suffering in silence. There is no need to suffer in silence. There is help," Mellish said.

"Go get help."

More coverage:
Soldier on with broken hearts.

That was the message Lt. Kendra Mellish delivered to the 400 people, many of them part of Canada’s military family, who crowded into Truro Armoury on Thursday morning for a funeral service for Warrant Officer Michael Robert McNeil.

McNeil, 39, grew up in Truro and died last Wednesday at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa in Ontario. He is one of four Canadian soldiers who took their own lives in the past two weeks, leading to a barrage of questions about how the Canadian government and the military care for battle-weary soldiers who have returned home suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

It is not the first time Mellish, a Royal Canadian Air Force health-care administrator at CFB Gagetown in New Brunswick, has had to soldier on. Her husband, McNeil’s cousin Frank Mellish, was killed in Afghanistan in 2006.

“Don’t be fooled by the media about what a hero is,” said Mellish, standing off to the side of the flag-draped casket. “For me, it is those who overcome huge challenges and contribute in some way to the betterment of our world and our society. Michael was one of those. He, while walking softly, never spoke of any of his great deeds, and he was certainly one who made a difference.” ....

Back