• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess Kit and Other Anti-Air Force Ramblings Split from: Air Force

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hiller wasn't the greatest helicopter by any means but it was quite useful within the unit for utility duties. It seems that when 1 THP was formed they were allowed a very generous shopping list for support equipment. Some of the people who were around at the time were very canny individuals who knew the system which was considerably different than todays in that $ weren't spent for a lot of the equipment because the supply depots were already full of it and they used a combination of bs and the old boy system to get lots of equipment.
They also got lots of personnel although when I look back they certainly needed them because the experience level was pretty low as most of them were recent converts to aviation and their only experience was on L-19s and Hillers. Turbine engines and electronics were space age technology alongside of what they had came from and there was quite a learning process. The process definitely wasn't easy and there were lots of events that were costly. It wasn't without humour either and some of the people and what they did were classic.
Les Rowbottam was classic himself and had great insight and a sense of humour that made for some great statements and comments.

GO!!! said:
I won't dig out all of the war stories about the lack of TacHel's tacticality, but I'll leave that part of the argument with the fact that I have flown in Gryphons, Chinooks, Blackhawks, Sea Stallions and Pave Low's, as well as a Puma and numerous civilian birds. All demonstrated a far higher level of speed and tactical movement when required than our venerable 408 squadron, who seems to be unable to even navigate without highway 14 to guide them to Wx.

Furthermore, I have yet to see tachel deploy in a tactical scenario that is on par with what the americans, kiwis or brits do on a regular basis. Just flying to Wx, and staging out of the camp is not tactical, nor is restricting army units to daylight travel. Besides, any helo squadron that is unable to fly with both a full load of troops and fuel has failed to deliver - IMHO.

As for the kit you believe you deserve? When it is issued out to all of the cbt arms units, who use it all the time, you can have it for the walk from the mess tent to the flight line - just like how we can't get issued flight gloves.

The major problem here (as I see it) is the misconception by the air force that they exist for any other purpose than to support army operations and exercises. Just think, if we went to an army air corps, the tachel squadrons could be under the permanent command of the army Bde's that they are co-located with, and be issued all of the webbing they wished.

Not sure if I should say your jealous about not being in the air force or just still full of P&V....and jealous about not being in the air force ;D
You need to lighten up, if you've ever talked to anyone in the air force ,many of us are retreads from the army who saw the light. Can you see it yet?

You need to lighten up, if you've ever talked to anyone in the air force ,many of us are retreads from the army who saw the light. Can you see it yet?

Like me, for instance.  Check my profile.  I was jumping out of Hercs before you were even out of Junior High.

GO!!- I'm not impressed by your latest uninformed, broad-brushed ramblings on helicopters, tactical flying and airmanship.  You are going to find that we rotorheads, since we are used to being the redheaded stepchildren in a fighter-centric Air Force, are going to band together and defend one another.

I have no idea why a Griffon may have been flying at 2000 feet on an exercise that you were also on.  So you're not impressed.  I'll get over it.  So a FE had the belt in the C6 upside down.  You going to tell me that no infanteer in the history of the Army has ever done the same thing?  No, of course not- that would ruin the point of your humorous little anecdote. Not to defend the FE- I hope he learned from his mistake.

My first thought is just to throw up my hands in disgust.  Just when it was looking like the Rotory Wing Community was coming out from underneath our evil overlords in the Air Force, we get body slammed by the JARMY- who knows even less than the Air Force knows about helos.

Look, my Army brethern.  We are here, ultimately,  to support you.  If you have any questions about why or how we do things- ask.  We are more than happy to answer them for you.

If all you want to do is trade insults, believe me- I have a career full of watching Infantry units screw the pooch.  Bring it on...

SeaKingTacco said:
If all you want to do is trade insults, believe me- I have a career full of watching Infantry units screw the pooch.  Bring it on...
no, because if it gets to that I will ban my fellow Patricia, myself.

Now, since this is a split-topic: What the hell is the subject, anyway? I lost track in the original thread, and I can't figure it out in this one.

no, because if it gets to that I will ban my fellow Patricia, myself.

After cooling off for an hour or so, I would unreservedly like to offer my apologies.  There was no need for me to raise the temperature even further.

I have no idea what the point of this thread is anymore.  Recap, anyone?

SeaKingTacco said:
I have no idea what the point of this thread is anymore.  Recap, anyone?
The latter part of the thread was what was split from the "AF CADPAT name tag and rank" thread.  But I notice looking through all of the posts that the oldest was almost a year ago now.  I suspect that this is where all good (and bad :D) AF posts go to linger when they become off-topic of their thread.  Not that posts around here become off-topic at all... ::)

navymich said:
The latter part of the thread was what was split from the "AF CADPAT name tag and rank" thread.  But I notice looking through all of the posts that the oldest was almost a year ago now.  I suspect that this is where all good (and bad :D) AF posts go to linger when they become off-topic of their thread.  Not that posts around here become off-topic at all... ::)

And now that you have inserted a post providing credible information, it must itelf be removed for being off the non-topic which the thread heretofore constituted, and it needs to be sent to its own special forum hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back