• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Media Bias [Merged]

The dirty secret is that it is technically possible and quite easy to give every customer "a la carte" service on Cable; pick and choose the chanels you want.

In real terms, the window may have closed; services like Netflix, Roku and Apple TV are making the idea of cable and broadast obsolete; the only sticking point currently is the ability of existing natworks to carry the bandwidth to the "last mile". Google is already offering to challenge carriers by rolling out its own fiber networks (in Kansas, the mere threat of Google entering the market caused the existing carriers to boost their throughput), and I have posted a range of technical solutions that can work on existing networks to increase bandwidth (technically, to use existing bandwidth far more effectively) in the "Recent warfare Technologies" thread.

The problem is not technical, it is political, and until *we* have the ability to escape the lutches of the CRTC and its crony capitalist clients on a large scale, they will continue to gouge Canadians and subject us to unwanted and unwatched channels.

I was going to I read an article somewhere (maybe G&M) talking about how more and more people particularly gen Y are eschewing traditional cable, and going the Internet On-Demand route.  And at least in the major urban areas fiber is becoming more readily available, and many new home/condo construction projects include fiber.

When I got back from TF 1-10 I didn't even buy a TV, I watched my movies/tv online on my computer, or went to the theatre.

being 100 km from the nearest urban area, I'm a slave to the Bell dish.  their clever ploy is to make you buy bundles full of useless shit, most of it in languages I can't speak, in order to get 3 or 4 decent ones, my bill is horrendous.  Ditto for internet, an antenna screwed to my wall, and service dependent on wind direction, snow accumulation, and power supply to the nearest tower.  It makes netflix or any of that too unreliable to bother with.  Plus usage is crazy spendy if I exceed my limit, and Canadian netflix being 1-2 years behind the network feeds.

Agency withdraws casting call for CBC show that specified ‘any race except Caucasian’
Adrian Humphreys | 13/04/29
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04/29/cbc-no-caucasian/

A casting call to hire a new CBC host that specifically said white people need not apply has been withdrawn, with the casting agent offering apologies for the mistake.

The original ad for the host of a children’s show, posted on the casting agency’s website under a CBC logo and on Craigslist, said: “Please only submit [an audition tape] if you match the following criteria: Male between the ages of 23-35 years; Any race except Caucasian.”

A new version of the ad removes the race reference, but maintains the sex and age restrictions and that applicants “must be able to carry a tune,” “ability to dance or move well is a bonus,” and should be “not afraid to show a silly side,” among others.

The revised casting call was issued and the Craigslist ad deleted Monday after critics on Twitter started questioning the restriction.
more on link

Kat Stevens said:
being 100 km from the nearest urban are, I'm a slave to the Bell dish.  their clever ploy is to make you buy bundles full of useless crap, most of it in languages I can't speak, in order to get 3 or 4 decent ones, my bill is horrendous.  Ditto for internet, an antenna screwed to my wall, and service dependent on wind direction, snow accumulation, power supply to the nearest tower.  It makes netflix or any of that too unreliable to bother with.  Plus usage is crazy spendy if I exceed my limit, and Canadian netflix being 1-2 years behind the network feeds.

There are ways to access the US Netflix, however you need to sort out you connectivity issues first.  ;)

Goddamnit, I bought the 3rd gen of AppleTV and am hooped for having it jailbroken.

Hey, I found a use for the CBC - playoffs start tonight.

And they didn't discipline Grapes for his latest outburst (with which I almost completely agree)

Scott said:
Hey, I found a use for the CBC - playoffs start tonight.

And they didn't discipline Grapes for his latest outburst (with which I almost completely agree)

Playoffs?  Oh, right, that thing the NHL does every year to prolong the season and squeeze more cash out of the sheeple.

Locker rooms have changed since his day. That said (and I don't know if they do this already) the should have one place for interviews that is more in the public.

:nod:
Kat Stevens said:
Playoffs?  Oh, right, that thing the NHL does every year to prolong the season and squeeze more cash out of the sheeple.

Kat Stevens said:

No different than the NFL, MLB, NBA...

PuckChaser said:
No different than the NFL, MLB, NBA...

Well it is a bit weird watching a WINTER sport, whilst outside on patio in shorts and a tshirt in June, especially when the final teams are sometimes from locales that never see snow.

Hatchet Man said:
Well it is a bit weird watching a WINTER sport, whilst outside on patio in shorts and a tshirt in June, especially when the final teams are sometimes from locales that never see snow.

As oppossed to watching the Superbowl at the end of winter?

Bruce Monkhouse said:

Your winter ended on 3 Feb?  Mine's still going on...

And my point was that two groups of millionaires sat opposite each other for over half the regular season bitching over who was screwing who hardest, when the only one who was ever going to get screwed was the fans.  I would have loved to see the season played in empty arenas, but hockey fans just rolled over, spread their cheeks and not only took it, but thanked them for it.  Athletes striking and owners locking them out is ridiculous.

Kat Stevens said:
Your winter ended on 3 Feb?  Mine's still going on...

And my point was that two groups of millionaires sat opposite each other for over half the regular season bitching over who was screwing who hardest, when the only one who was ever going to get screwed was the fans.  I would have loved to see the season played in empty arenas, but hockey fans just rolled over, spread their cheeks and not only took it, but thanked them for it.  Athletes striking and owners locking them out is ridiculous.
:nod:
This I agree with. the bigest smucks in the whole Hockey fiasco are the fans who willing take it.

Bruce Monkhouse said:

Nothing weird about that since, that's been going on for decades.  Until Bettman started expanding into the Southern US, in the 90s, the NHL season wrapped up in late winter/early spring, not late spring/early summer.

Hatchet Man said:
There are ways to access the US Netflix, however you need to sort out you connectivity issues first.  ;)
Tell me how, oh great one

my72jeep said:
Tell me how, oh great one
I R not the great one, but if you watch netflix through a Wii or Xbox then type into google us netflix on (insert your media device) and you can find out how to do it.  Basically you get a DNS proxy server and in your settings switch from automatic to manual input, put in the primary and secondary dns IP and you should be good.  Specifically on the Wii if it asks for an update don't do it because it will reset the settings you just change.  Voila, you should enjoy US netflix.  Another way to go about it is to purchase a US IP address through the unblockus website, but it costs money (not much mind you, but still some).

Personally I have found I like the Canadian Netflix better now as their movie selection has greatly improved.  US netflix is definitely better for tv shows though.

Back