• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medals, again; the big one, this time

Couldn't resist:

I agree with Armymedic.  Nothing about the current system is broken, so why fix it?  The "Vimy Cross" idea smacks of historical revisionism at best and an anti-British attitude at worst.

There is a shiny new pamphlet issued by DHH (I have it in front of me now) that explains why the "military valour" medals have yet to be issued (page 11).  I'll quote the section in full:

The three Military Valour Decorations (MVDs) (Victoria Cross, Star of Military Valour and
Medal of Military Valour) were created on 1 January 1993 to recognize acts of valour, selfsacrifice
or devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy. They can be awarded in situations
short of war if the troops are in "combat" with an organized, armed "enemy" that is recognized
as such by the Canadian people. It must be understood however that "combat" is not
merely the presence of fire. Rather, the fire has to be directed at our troops, with the intent
of our troops being the destruction of the opposing force as a valid entity. The word "enemy"
in this context means a hostile armed force, and includes armed terrorists, armed mutineers,
armed rebels, armed rioters and armed pirates.
It should be noted that conflicting parties in a peacekeeping context are not considered
enemies and although there may be altercations with the CF in a peacekeeping mission, the
use of force by the CF will generally be limited to self-defence. This is why MVDs are not
generally awarded during peacekeeping operations.

Makes sense to me....  As for "replacing" the VC with a politically-motivated, pseudo-historical "Canadian" decoration, no thanks...

My own personal thought is the VC is steeped with tradition and our country has a long and distinguished list of winners of this most hallowed and prestigious award.  To create a new top valour award now.................... Well, how many people would have the respect for it that they carry for the VC?  Look how well received the Cross of Valour was.......... Leave our order of decorations as is.

Canada Post issued a Victoria Cross commerative stamp, which is an excellent representation of
the famous medal - the same series, illustrates a "Canadian Version of the Victoria Cross" a design
very similar to the traditional Victoria Cross, but slighty modified. None have been cast, according
to Canada Post, and of course, goes without saying, none have been issued. Each sheet contains
twenty stamps, featuring both designs. The centre section lists all Canadian VC's from the Crimeia
War, the Indian Mutiny, the Andaman Islands Expedition, the South African War, the First and
Second World War - details available from Canada Post - urged them to issue the stamps once
per year, near November 11th. It would not be in our National interest to eliminate the VC.
MacLeod

Teddy Ruxpin said:
There is a shiny new pamphlet issued by DHH (I have it in front of me now) that explains why the "military valour" medals have yet to be issued (page 11).   I'll quote the section in full:
I agree with the quote included in Teddy Ruxpin's post; however, in my opinion, in the last 12 years our Soldiers have performed acts which are more deserving than the handful of awards actually distributed. I am not advocating a free-for-all distribution of awards, but I think we may be a bit too conservative.

Back