• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marksman/Distinguished Marksman badge on DEUs wearing/regulations

Thanks George Wallace for answering the question.

So there is no "take it down" clause in the dress regs? I'm just wondering, cause although getting a badge like this is nice, there is a few snipers/ex-snipers around that score better/perfect at all times and don't even wear that kind of badge...

Delavan

delavan said:
So there is no "take it down" clause in the dress regs? I'm just wondering, cause although getting a badge like this is nice, there is a few snipers/ex-snipers around that score better/perfect at all times and don't even wear that kind of badge...

Delavan

I think you missed the highlighed portion - the portion that it is an annual classification.  If you do not attain that same qualification in a years time, you take it down. 

I am sure that the snipers and ex-snipers really don't need a LCF badge to be what they are.  They know who they are without it.

George Wallace said:
I am sure that the snipers and ex-snipers really don't need a LCF badge to be what they are.  They know who they are without it.

I dont even think we ever had one, did we?

delavan,

You may want to double check on the placement of the crossed rifles, last time I checked it was placed on the left sleeve. The right was saved for your trade qualification level badge.

Chilly

You may want to double check on the placement of the crossed rifles, last time I checked it was placed on the left sleeve. The right was saved for your trade qualification level badge.

Agreed. My bad...just like my little girl, I confused the left and right for a sec!

Chilly said:
delavan,

Chilly

I am sure the Tailor Shop will know the proper measurements and location, and will not make that mistake.

Sewn centred on the lower left sleeve, 12 cm (4-3/4 inches) from the bottom of the sleeve to the lowest points of the badge.

George Wallace said:
I am sure the Tailor Shop will know the proper measurements and location, and will not make that mistake.

I wouldn't be so sure, George. I know a couple of guys who took their tunics to the tailor shop at NDHQ, and didn't notice until mess Dinners that the marksman badge was on their right sleeves. Pretty funny to see the RSM notice, too  ;D

Ha!  I remember one poor guy, the tailor had sewn the division patch onto the wrong shoulder.  CSM noticed immediately when we formed up for a parade. Fortunately for him, the CSM held the tailor to blame and not the soldier. 

George Wallace said:
I'm sure they will too. The dress manual is your friend. I've even taken the page to clothing stores and had the tailor argue with me as to the placement of the badge! That's why I check everything before I sign for it from the tailors. After all, who's responsible for the state of your uniform?

delavan said:
Agreed. My bad...just like my little girl, I confused the left and right for a sec!

Something that works for me so I don't confuse my left and right , hold you hands out in front of you thumbs out, the one that makes the L is your left

;D

cheers

Holy!

That gave me a good laugh!!! Crazy you! >:D
Well I just checked my DEU and everything is at the right place!

Delavan

Looking for the regs that govern when you are entitled to wear this badge / as well as the paperwork req'd to put it up. Used to have this qual years ago before I switched trades, now with a new unit and despite my digging no one seems to know what the policy is.

It must be certified on the range once per FY. It is an annual qualification.

At the end of the FY, if you haven't earned it (based on your certified range qual) ... it must come down.

And, I've been home from work for hours now so I can't pull you up the refs you are seeking ...

Vern

Thanks Vern, I was aware of the yearly nature, qualification at the range etc, but that's excellent clarification on the "take down" policy
. I think I'll make a visit to the base library, maybe they have those docs.

Of course, I wear glasses now so this may all be mute if it's affected my shooting!

Appreciate the response.

From A-AD-265-000/AG-001 Canadian Forces Dress Instructions Chapter 3 Section 6

3. Army marksmen of the rank of sergeant and
below who have qualified as a first class shot or
marksman, based on annual classification results for
the service rifle, are authorized to wear the
appropriate marksmanship badge, embroidered in
CF gold on rifle green melton cloth, on service dress
jackets (see Figure 3-6-3 and Annex F).

Edited to correct Ref

211RadOp said:
From A-AD-265-000/AG-001 Canadian Forces Dress Instructions Chapter 3 Section 6

Edited to correct Ref

Well, that saves me a copy N paste!!  ;D

Also, the PWTs have changed for the C7. To qual at PWT 1 you must obtain a score of 15 from an HPS of 25. To pass PWT 2 you must obtain a score of 47 from an HPS of 70. For First Class Shot, you must score 56. To qual for Marksman, you must also pass the night shoot with a score of 12 from an HPS of 20.

The actual range practices have changed dramatically also since last year. The AEL is down right now, so I can't get at the link for the actual shoots involved.

Back