• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marksman/Distinguished Marksman badge on DEUs wearing/regulations

I achieved a score suitable for the badge while serving in Petawawa, but being a "blue type" had no need of the badge.  I should have kept one for fun and the eventual retirement shadow box.

Vern what's the regs on Navy marksmen? Do we get marksmenship badges?

MedTech said:
Vern what's the regs on Navy marksmen? Do we get marksmenship badges?

I'll put it to you this way.

I'm a purple trade. I'm Army; I work with Naval & Air DEU pers on the Army Base. We ALL have to qualify annually on the range. Only I put the badge on my DEU (well not anymore -- Sgts and below) though ...

Ah... Too bad. Oh well! I still got my crossed rifles and crown from my NCM days. I am so proud of en ;D thanks Vern!

Mine are still on my DEU's, got that qual in 94, left in 95. Those DEU's are a bit moldy now, still hanging in the closet 13 yrs later, and would be a tight fit, ha! I used to keep my qual every year, so I was lucky.

In Australia its short sleeves, and although such awards exist, no where to put them, ha!

Cheers,

Wes

Sig_Des said:
I wouldn't be so sure, George. I know a couple of guys who took their tunics to the tailor shop at NDHQ, and didn't notice until mess Dinners that the marksman badge was on their right sleeves. Pretty funny to see the RSM notice, too  ;D
I was one of those guys. When I took my jacket back to the tailor to get it redone, I took a look at the rack of finished jackets, and about half of the marksman badges were on the wrong arm.

Does anyone know the exact placement for a marksman badge on the DEUs.?

Thank you.. Ive serached but cant find a good post.

From the dress regs Manual on the DIN.....

"Sewn centred on the lower left sleeve,
12 cm (4-3/4 in.) from the bottom of the
sleeve to the lowest points of the badge"

I assume you have no access to the DIN right now.  If you do, here is the link.

Dress regs

Rheostatic said:
I was one of those guys. When I took my jacket back to the tailor to get it redone, I took a look at the rack of finished jackets, and about half of the marksman badges were on the wrong arm.

Who's this? PM!

Derek said:
Thank you.. Ive serached but cant find a good post.

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/65757.0.html

Must not have searched very well

I recently did the PWT1 & PWT2.  I scored 25/25 on PWT1, and 68/70 on PWT2.

My WO said I was entitled to the crossed rifles patch.  But as far as I know, since I'm Navy (though in a purple trade), I'm not allowed to wear the patch.  Is that the case?  If so, it's pretty disappointing.

Also, what do you have to do to qualify for the crown?  PWT3?

Not sure if it's up to date anymore (its from 2005) but I can't see why not...

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26829.0.html

Qualification Badges
19.  All soldiers within the Army of the rank of Sergeant and below who achieves the marksman's score with their personal weapon on the PWT 2 are considered a marksman and are authorized to wear the crossed rifles with crown badge.

Guess that answers my question.  Damn.

Typically, an Official document is a better reference than a 5 year old thread on the Internet.

Chapter 3, Section 6:

3. Army marksmen of the rank of sergeant and below who have qualified as a first class shot or marksman, based on annual classification results for the service rifle, are authorized to wear the appropriate marksmanship badge, embroidered in CF gold on rifle green melton cloth, on service dress jackets (see Figure 3-6-3 and Annex F).

We know the positioning isn't going to change anytime soon.

The last relevent question was 'What were the scores required for the badges'. If you want to be helpful, post that and the reference.

Milnet.ca Staff

recceguy said:
This is straight out of the "Shoot to Live" pam, and should end all the conjecture.

Other than "Shoot to Live" being replaced by the "CFOSP" part...

T2B,

Awesome clip!  That's what I thought to myself when I tore the 2 CMBG bear off my shoulder last Remembrance Day.

Britney Spears said:
And that's why we should all have C8s.

I could not agree with that statement less.

This is on a different topic, but it has everything to do with muzzle velocity.  Don't go by the PAM numbers of 400/300/200m (and I am the OIC of Small Arms saying that) but go by the velocity at which the 5.56x45mm NATO round (in our case the C77) will reliably tumble and fragment.  Past that point, all you will get is a pierce through the body creating a relatively small permanent would channel.

I will not turn this thread into a terminal ballistic lecture, but ~200m from the muzzle is when a C7 drops below that point, where as a C8 is ~100m.  Yes, accuracy still trumps all and if you can guarantee a head shot on a moving target with your pulse at 180bpm I would say the permanent 5.56 wound channel is enough to kill/incapacitate an enemy, but for my money the extra oomph that a C7 gives me between 100-200m I would never use a C8 if given the chance.

While never the intended benefit of the NATO 5.56 when purchased, and granted it is quite erratic, the tumble + fragment is what will drop a target if you don't hit a vital area.

A picture speaks a thousand words.  From a distance of 100-200m, your C8 will only puncture, where as a C7 will do this:

wound1.gif

If you want to go into this further, e-mail me at work or Google "Fackler velocity".  http://rkba.org/research/fackler/wrong.html

Petamocto said:
Other than "Shoot to Live" being replaced by the "CFOSP" part...

Well, you've been trying to set yourself up as the resident expert in small arms, so I'll ask you again. What is the rule, scores and reference for the crossed rifles and crossed rifles and crown? The sooner you post that, from the pam I'm sure you keep with you, the sooner I can close up this pathetic thread.

Milnet.ca Staff

Back