• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morneau resigning as minister of finance, leaving his seat, and running to become head of the OECD.

dapaterson said:
Morneau resigning as minister of finance, leaving his seat, and running to become head of the OECD.

Good turn of events.

https://ipolitics.ca/2020/08/17/bill-morneau-resigns-as-finance-minister/

Remius said:
Good turn of events.

https://ipolitics.ca/2020/08/17/bill-morneau-resigns-as-finance-minister/

If not a little overdue.

https://ipolitics.ca/2017/11/27/poilievre-alleges-morneau-sold-10-million-shares-tabling-fiscal-measure/

God help us if Morneau has been the only one standing in the way of the Liberals spending ways. It's hard to believe that Mark Carney would be supportive of that model either

Then we hope that the Cons select a leader who can beat him on the 23rd, and that the Bloc actually stands up and raises a vote of non-confidence in Parliament in the fall...then maybe some adults will take over and pickup the pieces.

To me, it looks like another one kicked to the curb.

If JT had principals, he would resign as PM.

SeaKingTacco said:
So what if it turns out that he was the only adult in cabinet? Then what?

Then the taps remain open to ensure NDP support.

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Hey, I'm gonna get you, too

I have to admire Liberal Party discipline

ModlrMike said:
Then the taps remain open to ensure NDP support.
The Bloc and CPC lack the numbers to bring down the Liberals in a vote of no confidence if the NDP prop them up. However, if enough disgruntled Liberals skip such a vote, the government may fall.  Unfortunately the only party financially able to campaign effectively right now is the Liberal Party.

Haggis said:
The Bloc and CPC lack the numbers to bring down the Liberals in a vote of no confidence if the NDP prop them up. However, if enough disgruntled Liberals skip such a vote, the government may fall.  Unfortunately the only party financially able to campaign effectively right now is the Liberal Party.

Are the Conservatives short on money?

suffolkowner said:
Are the Conservatives short on money?
They were quite depleted after the last election and are just winding up a leadership campaign where the candidates have been fundraising from CPC supporters instead of the party.

The CPC is doing better than the other parties, Scheer hurt their fundraising. With a no leader as of the 24th and many new members they should be able to raise enough funds, certainly enough to go toe to toe with the Liberals

shawn5o said:
To me, it looks like another one kicked to the curb.

If JT had principals, he would resign as PM.

This has all the hallmarks of a staged exit. 

dapaterson said:

The wrong guy left.  :whistle:

You guys are celebrating a bit early.

Ok, Morneau’s gone. Note that of the whole cabinet he had by far the most real- world business experience. He’s the sort of self-made millionaire the Conservatives tend to court and drool over. He knows economics. He was also helping to restrain some of the more fiscally profligate urges in the LPC. Now he will not longer be there to curb spending to any extent.

Meanwhile the NDP are broke. They can’t afford an election. The power they wield is being able to single handedly prop up the LPC minority government. The LPC need only keep them on side, and they don’t have to worry what the CPC or Bloc do or say. They can still command a majority of votes.

And how are they likely to court that support from the NDP? Further spending on social programs. The sort of stuff that Morneau was probably the most credible and capable person in cabinet to keep a lid on.

So, by all means cheer on his departure. But the current government likely isn’t going anywhere any time soon. Not a chance Trudeau will resign; he doesn’t have to. Sure, Morneau’s gone, but this may be a case of be careful what you wish for...

Brihard said:
You guys are celebrating a bit early.

Not celebrating. I said the wrong guy left. I mean that sincerely. It's the other guy who should have gone.

:cdnsalute:

What, exactly, is wrong with spending on social programs?
In my view overtaxing to support social programs is the issue. Making sure everybody pays their fair share is an issue. Making sure there is no wastage or fraudulent use of the programs are issues.  But I personally have no issue with social program spending. Perhaps it’s that we don’t trust government to manage social programs, even excellent social programs, wisely with a view to helping up?  Was Bill Morneau going to do something about that?

Remius said:
This has all the hallmarks of a staged exit.

Indeed it does.  "Anonymous sources" and "those close to the discussions" have been shaping the battlespace for the past few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back