• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kit for FIBUA

Knee and elbow pads are a must.

Glowsticks for throwing into rooms and dark corners
(And you can keep them and use them at raves if your from TO. Point to note, if your a reservist from Toronto, do NOT take the glowsticks to "shots" in petawawa and dance with them, dummies)

Chalk for writting on walls.   Or funny body outlines al la CSI style.

Electrical tape. great for taping the 522 attennea when the bastard is flipping all over the place. Tape a maglight onto your gat.

This is what I was taught in Demo Support during this summer; take it for what it's worth.
You mean you guys didn't just fuck around all summer? ;)

Thanks ghost
I'll take the advice in hand, oh and by the way, reservists DO get issued knee and elbow pads (though knowing the system i'm not surprised most arent issued em). After i try em out, i'll decide between the volleyball ones or issue. And i havent heard nething about the patrol packs yet, but heres hoping. I like the carabiner, electrical tape, camelback, chalk and glowstick advice

About the gloves:

During course I baught myself those hatchet gloves with the black kevlar palm or something and the green top... they're a pretty good fit, and they can actually be used! They're not as good in sandy areas after it rains... like Petewawa. They got soaked and I couldnt use them no more. The sand was sticking to them like a sob too. When they're dry though...

They cost me 50$ and I found out last week that it was a waste of money though... although it helped me during course for a total of a week, we're getting issued those cadpat gloves supposedly in January. They kind of look cheesy, but they wont be affected by slight rain and sand as much as the other ones of mine... and with a tight fit, they arent bad either.

Check out www.oneshottactical.com

They sell good stuff there, and it's a Canadian buisness.

All you really need is a backpack,kneepads and camelback.For FIBUA its all water and ammo. :bullet:

All you really need is a backpack,kneepads and camelback.For FIBUA its all water and ammo.

What if it's dark?

Sounds hokey but I've seen different coloured tape used effectively on soldiers weapons, vests and helmets to denote which section or platoon they are.

Confusing is going to be your biggest obstacle.
Assuming your with the reserves and training in a fibua environment, you'll have between 1 and 3 platoons running around.   Guys will get shot and guys from other sections will fill in the gaps.   Someone will call for 2 section to move forward. Is that 1 2 or 3 platoon '2 section'?   Add to that 2 section is really 4 guys from 2 section, 2 guys from 1 section and some new private from 3 section. They they will remember they are a part of 2 section now? Not a chance.

One of the biggest challanges I find with fibua (namely among us guys who practice it the odd week-night or week-end) is everyone going all over the place. You need to find a way to keep track of your guys. Leaders are notorious for grabbing wide eyed privates and staying "stay here and guard this corner". The attack carries on and the pte is sitting there faithfully guarding his little corner.   You can run past him and not even know he's one of your guys since everyone is all done up.   I find the tape helps you find your little lost sheep.

Since a company is going to have 3 different "three sections" sometimes we've played with the names a little.   Sections from 1 platoon will be red 1 2 and 3.   Guys from 2 platoon will be blue teams or blue 1 2 or 3 etc..
Disadvantage of that is that it takes some work getting used to it. Most of the times we've tried to impliment it at the last second people just got confused.    Maybe theres a better way to seperate sections by platoons.

And yes this has zero to do with fibua equipment but it's post count +1 ;)

If you were issued the gear that you need, I would not be in business. ;D  The amount of gear going overseas for Canadians is unreal.

That said being a reservist you do not need to spend much money at all on kit , especially if you never plan to do a tour.

Like said above, camelbak and knee pads.

One thing I would say to get though is a good one point sling for FIBUA/ CQB/ OIBUA/ FISH.

Blue Force Gear makes ones that convert from 1 to 2 to 3 point and have adaptors to fit any weapon, also avalible is a sling point to attach to your vest.

http://www.oneshottactical.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=oneshot&Category_Code=SL

Mack674 said:
lol yes you have to wear your tac vest all the time. Its part of your full fighting order, and what canada has decided we will use. If Canada decided we would use a south african vest, we would wear those, but it didnt, so we don't.

If you have all the kit youre supposed to have, youll have a hard time finding room for things to carry that you actually need.

NO you dont ahve to wear teh tac vest all the time. as long as your out in teh field and you check with your section commander first you can usually wear what ever rig you want

NO you dont ahve to wear teh tac vest all the time. as long as your out in teh field and you check with your section commander first you can usually wear what ever rig you want

That has to be a reg force thing?

Depends on the unit, and who's in charge. I know a guy who said he used to use an american vest instead of the old webbing. He checked it with the platoon WO first, and he was GTG.

Cheers,
Pinky

wow, thats pretty neat, it would make my life nicer, but I doubt that that will happen to me, oh well. Anyhow, in terms of gloves, what should I be looking for? Like i mean I haven't done fibua ops yet, and I'd rather not experiment with getting my hands ripped to shreds, seeing as I'm also a concert pianist, lol.

I'm also a concert pianist, lol.

Reminds me about the joke involving a 12 inch pianist, a hard of hearing genie and a disapointed bartender.

If you guys have not even been involved in fibua ops yet don't worry about what equipment your using. Your not going to know the difference and you're likely to waste your money. Just because certian gloves work for me they might not work for you. Wait till you get a little time crawling around dusty buildings before you start experimenting with changing around your stuff.  USe your black leather gloves with green stretchy inners.

I know a guy who said he used to use an american vest instead of the old webbing. He checked it with the platoon WO first, and he was GTG.

I believe the guy told you that. Wheter I believe he actually did it is another question.
In the reserves you might be able to get by on a week-end ex doing that. I'm pretty sure at brigade level anything like that will get squished pretty bad.

I've seen a few R031s in 39CBG units wear non-issue LBE, even on Brigade and Area exs.
Cougar Salvo 2005 I saw a Cpl in the C Scots wearing a US Molle Vest with ALICE pouches and a crappy digicam boonie hat.

Pte.Pinky said:
Depends on the unit, and who's in charge. I know a guy who said he used to use an american vest instead of the old webbing. He checked it with the platoon WO first, and he was GTG.

Agreed, at least on SG '03, back when we still had 82 pattern webbing some people used Eagle or Blackhawk vests as a better alternative (especially during FIBUA.) With the CTS Tac Vest, it's a moot point to wear/use something else when we're just on an EX. On the other hand, if your EN FOR.... ;D

MikeH said:
All you really need is a backpack,kneepads and camelback.For FIBUA its all water and ammo. :bullet:

x2, except with the backpack (unless it's WRT "using" a backpack.) The issued CTS Small Pack will do fine for him; no need to buy some MOLLE-infested assault bag yet... ;) Speaking of which, I wonder if using one of the 5 Litre pockets on the vest (as a dump pouch) would work any good...

Hmm I typed up a nice reply yesterday and it seems to have been lost in lala land.

Eye Pro -- Bolle T800's are in the system for spefic breaching and other use -- use goggles not glasses.
Ear Pro -- preferable active ear type i.e. Peltor Comtac's or Sordins etc.

Flame resistant under garments * a necessity - with CF issue clother they are highly flamable/metlable and you dont want to be a subhuman shrink wrap.
*ideally a flame resistant outwear too - but the CF does not liekj that idea (way to go CTS)

Good footwear -- a medium shoe -- Salomon Experts Mid's or similar --

Flash light
Weapon Light

More later I gotta run to the range.

MikeL said:
I've seen a few R031s in 39CBG units wear non-issue LBE, even on Brigade and Area exs.
Cougar Salvo 2005 I saw a Cpl in the C Scots wearing a US Molle Vest with ALICE pouches and a crappy digicam boonie hat.

Forget the corporal. I saw the RSM of the C scotts, (or was it the westies) who's only issued kit was his vest and rifle. MARPAT boonie hat and civie rain jacket. I am not aware if he was OPFOR or not, thought.

Sorry fo rthe interruption.

Hey, umm, flashlight and weaponlight? also you mentioned footwear. are we allowed to not wear the boots?!?! that would be awesome! And are these like those swat boots?

RiflemanPhil said:
are we allowed to not wear the boots?!?!

Again, it depends on your chain of command. We could tell you you're allowed to wear a pink bunny suit on ex if we wanted, that doesn't make it true ("But the good people on Army.ca told me I could, warrant!" ;D). This is a place of discussion, and we do not have unit/company/platoon-specific answers. Whenever you want to know what you're "allowed" to do ask your section commander or 2ic (not a flame, btw, I'm just saying that it's pointless to ask questions like this on this forum).

Cheers,
Pinky

Mickey said:
Speaking of which, I wonder if using one of the 5 Litre pockets on the vest (as a dump pouch) would work any good...

Haven't tried that but the old issue butt pack attaches nicely to the plastic D-rings on the bottom of the TV. Good for that extra snivel kit that you want fast (i.e. choco bars, powerade, warm gloves, etc.). If you leave the top unclipped and replace the paracord pull with shockcord you might have a working dump pouch.

Since I just came up with that shockcord bit while typing I think I'll have to try it out myself, it doesn't sound like a half bad idea ;D

Cheers,
Pinky

Back