• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

K-Bars and Cadets

Status
Not open for further replies.
A prominent Doctor from my community. 
It's hard to say if having a bigger knife in this situation would have helped at all, in all, a tragic story.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/09/07/killer_black_bear20050907.html

Black bear kills woman camper north of Chapleau, Ont.
Last Updated Wed, 07 Sep 2005 22:00:44 EDT
CBC News
A black bear -- that may have learned to prey on humans -- killed a woman and injured her husband at a provincial park in northern Ontario.

Jacqueline Perry in this family photo. (CP PHOTO/Brantford Expositor - HO) 
Police and wildlife officials were on the hunt for the wounded bear Wednesday and campers have been ordered out of the back country of Missinaibi Lake Provincial Park.

30-year-old Jacqueline Perry and Mark Jordan, also 30, were attacked at a campsite in the provincial park, about 80 kilometres north of Chapleau.

Ontario Provincial Police said that while the bear was attacking Perry, Jordan managed to stab it a few times with a Swiss Army knife in a frantic effort to keep it from dragging his wife into the woods. Jordan was flown to hospital in Sudbury.

Perry was a family doctor at Grandview Medical Centre in Cambridge, Ont.

The couple were on a two-week holiday, camping and kayaking at a remote campsite when the black bear attacked.

OPP Const. Karen Farand said after fighting off the bear, the injured Jordan carried Perry to their kayak and began to paddle to the nearest campsite. He yelled for help and a father and his 30-year-old son from Pennsylvania, heard him. Jordan put his wife into their boat.

About a kilometre away, they flagged down another boat, which carried a doctor from North Carolina and an off-duty police officer. The doctor tried to treat Perry while the boat continued on to the park office, about 10 kilometres away. But by then Farand said Perry had succumbed to her injuries.

"I've lived here all my life and this is a first for me," said Farand. "I can't even imagine what (Perry and Jordan) went through."

Keith Scott, a bear expert with the Ministry of Natural Resources, said such attacks are "very rare. There's only been four fatalities in Ontario through black bears dating back to about 1978," he said. "This one in this particular case, it's early in the investigation, but it appears to be a predatory-type bear. These bears have learned to and often prey on humans."

There have been a number of bear attacks across Canada this summer.

A Manitoba man fended off a black bear in early September, just one week after a black bear killed another man in the province. There have been four grizzly bear attacks in Alberta since June, including a fatal one on a female jogger near Canmore. And a woman in British Columbia was mauled by a bear in May.

Nice Very nice,

You would get at least two thirds of the slab of butter...

do you hang it on yer belt so it hangs just below your shirt, ever so nonchalantly, or do you tie it to y our pack so all can see?

dileas

tess

Sling it across the chest.  It's flippin' huge, but when I'm all bundled up in my fluffy stuff for snowshoeing, it needs to be accessible, toot sweet (I know it's spelled wrong).  Strapped to the side of the pack in summer, but it blends in nicely, tough to spot until up close.

In 5 years of cadets, 2 years of reserves and 8 years in the Regs, I have never found a use for anything larger than a multi-tool or 4 inch Spyderco/Benchmade.   I broke down and bought a Timberland Zambezei for Op Apollo in 2002.   I never got the chance to use it on that tour, and I have never had an opportunity to use it since.  

If a multi-tool or folding blade doesn't satisfy you, I would recommend the Cold Steel Kukri.   It is multi purpose, can be used for cutting, skinning, chopping and whittling and above all... IT LOOKS REALLY COOL!!! :) :threat: :skull: :bullet: >:D

The buck page has some examples of useful sheath knife incidents:  http://www.buckknives.com/knife_tales.php

I think this is one of those "it doesnt have to work just as long as it looks cool" moments.  I mean if the CO says its cool then go ahead and bring it.  Theres some cadets in my corps that have combat helmets  :warstory: ( the Vietnam ones)  it depends if your CO is cool with it I guess.

ryanmann356 said:
I think this is one of those "it doesnt have to work just as long as it looks cool" moments.   I mean if the CO says its cool then go ahead and bring it.   Theres some cadets in my corps that have combat helmets   :warstory: ( the Vietnam ones)   it depends if your CO is cool with it I guess.

I've seen the lil rambo's in your unit. Guys with k-bars and field dressings tapped to their webbing, helmets, etc.

Peace said:
The issued gerber sucks....   Folding knife is the way to go.

but the issued gerber is freeeee (although it does suck)

ryanmann356 said:
I think this is one of those "it doesnt have to work just as long as it looks cool" moments.   I mean if the CO says its cool then go ahead and bring it.   Theres some cadets in my corps that have combat helmets   :warstory: ( the Vietnam ones)   it depends if your CO is cool with it I guess.
HAHA I had a helmet issued to me for some odd reason when I was a Cpl. I brought it on one FTX, never used it, and handed it back in the next week.

"My knife is bigger then yours!" Brings back memories. lol
Ya, I was a cadet for 10 years and wear or carried alot of diffrent knives during that time.
once i hit the M/Cpl level it was who had the koolest and/or biggest knife, guess who won  ;) untill my budy bought him self a marine Ontario Knife. as I grew up and matured, I carried the Jump Knife. more as a tradition then anything, cuting rope, etc.
As a CI now. I laugh at my past in cadets regarding knives,
I still carry a police duty. However my gerber could have been helpfull fiting the colmen stoves.
The police duty knife I also carry for work as a security officer. Cheap and to the day my fav knife i have. last weekend I sawed through 1.2inch rope we use to build rope bridges in like 10 seconds. *To fix the end, as it was al mest up. It really impressed me.

Aside from the macho/showoff issues, which affect us boys of all ages, there should be some utility in the tools we carry.
Throughout my time in Scouting and cadets, I carried a Victorinox (Swiss Army) Rucksack, that my dad picked up for me on a trip to Geneva (great prices over there by the way).
http://www.vtarmynavy.com/victorinox-rucksack.htm
I would have to say it is the best all around folding knife I have ever found. Sturdy lock, and great steel. Very rust-resistant and takes and holds a fine edge very well. I still have it, but it doesn't meet all my needs these days. I would however HIGHLY reccomend this knife to anyone.
Day to day at work I carry a Spyderco Rescue (in Orange), in a pocket in my flight-suit. Great for cutting seatbelts and restraints. As a safety feature it has a Sheepsfoot (not-pointed) tip, so as not to injure a patient, if you are running it up the inside of their clothing, to cut it off. Personally I find Trauma Shears are better for most of these purposes.
http://tackledirect.com/spydreskniv.html
In my kit bag, in a pack I take when we do calls in the bush, I have a Cold Steel SRK. It is a little big to wear to a car accident on the highway, but something I'd much rather have if spending a night in the bush, up north, especially as we are unlikely to have all the supplies we'd like (axe/saw/tent). Rather large and a little pricier than the other knives. But a solid, well made, utility knife.
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/coldsteel_SRK.htm
I've owned others, but these are my favourites.

as an engineer I like the chain saw
but that's for another thread
(won't fold & won't fit in most pockets :))

Chainsaws are great, I especially like them when you use vegetable oil as chain lube.  In that situation, petroleum-based oil doesn't get into the moose meat.  The chainsaw is way faster than handsaws axes, or any knife that I've yet found.  But, hey, don't forget to wear the safety boots, pants, gloves and helmet with face shield!

2332Piper said:
In my cadet days they didn't trust me with knives, I had to use a spork for everything.
Seeing as Cadets is become much ............Safer? Well, more politically correct....... Perhaps all Cadets sould be issued Tye-dyed uniforms....with Birkenstocks.....
and a SPORK!!!!
I think the spork is a good idea...and much safer than all the other options discussed here.

Should I submit these ideas to DCdts.?????

Theres a slew of different civvie gerber models out there. I'd imagine that some would be closer to the issue one than others.

Helmets are ok for cadets though.  I remember a master corporal was setting up a mod tent wearing his 'Nam helmet.  He lost his grip on the pole and it came down on his head.  He would have been hurt bad if he werent wearing it.  But the spork is a good idea theres alot of little cadets that I know that like, run with their knives out and other horrible things lol.  Issue them a spork and make them hunt with it. ;D

2332Piper said:
In my cadet days they didn't trust me with knives, I had to use a spork for everything.

K-Bar combat knives, CADPAT, helmets, C-7's...Why don't you people just join the army instead of posing around with military equipment?

Cadets should not have knives of any sort. I never did as a cadet and managed to get though all the cadet ex's that I did without suffering too much...The only difference is that the instructors i had didn't let us make asses of ourselves by allowing us to dress up like soldiers!

ryanmann356 said:
Helmets are ok for cadets though.   I remember a master corporal was setting up a mod tent wearing his 'Nam helmet.   He lost his grip on the pole and it came down on his head.   He would have been hurt bad if he werent wearing it.  

Upper body strength is good to.

How did the pole come down an hit him? Were you all raising the mod, he didn't have the strength to lift it up an he dropped it on himself?

I love how lots of cadets refer to everything as 'nam this and 'nam that

ARMYboi69 said:
  It's our right to do that.  

The one major diference is that the reg force and reserves are not populated with children.

People under the age of 18 years old are not to be in possession of knives, guns or any of that stuff without a direct adult presence. That is Canadian law.

Can you tell me that an adult is present 24 and 7 when you're aon your 'exercises?!' I thought not.

Children are not responsible under the law if they hurt themselves or someone else with a weapon...The CF would be liable (and your cadet corps) and, after the media got done with you people the cadet program would be history!

Want that too happen...What about al the good cadets...You know the ones who are really there to learn and not pose for the cameras in their newest military getup!

You people do not think! Get rid of the army stuff and go back to being what you are...Children who are learning to be cadets, not soldiers.

Slim
STAFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back