• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

July 2024: Two GTA men arrested, charged with terrorism linked to ISIS

A bit more coming out re: the timeline ....
Archived link to the National Post piece also here if previous link doesn't work.
Can someone explain how someone from Eygpt can claim refugee status in Canada?

Can someone explain how someone from Eygpt can claim refugee status in Canada?
I could see certain circumstances where political asylum might be claimed, say if one holds dissident views against the government. The Egyptian government remains quite harsh against critics and opposition.

I could see certain circumstances where political asylum might be claimed, say if one holds dissident views against the government. The Egyptian government remains quite harsh against critics and

I could see certain circumstances where political asylum might be claimed, say if one holds dissident views against the government. The Egyptian government remains quite harsh against critics and opposition.
Show opposition to the Egyptian government is going to fall under 2 camps - Muslim Brotherhood on one side or ultra liberal full democracy supporter on the other side.
No way Canada, even under this current Federal Government, will let a Muslim Brotherhood supporter claim Refugee/Political Asylum. Kind of hard to believe that this guy was able to pull off ultra Liberal Democracy supporter and opposition to the Egyptian government.

Question, do we know where, which country, this individual made his claim from?

Show opposition to the Egyptian government is going to fall under 2 camps - Muslim Brotherhood on one side or ultra liberal full democracy supporter on the other side.
No way Canada, even under this current Federal Government, will let a Muslim Brotherhood supporter claim Refugee/Political Asylum. Kind of hard to believe that this guy was able to pull off ultra Liberal Democracy supporter and opposition to the Egyptian government.

Question, do we know where, which country, this individual made his claim from?
Shrug dunno. I was just answering, narrowly, the specific question you posed.

Again today there is an opinion piece about a radical imam touring Canada spreading his vitriol against Jewish people and the LGBTQ community. And there was an anti Israel protest around Polo Park.

Canada used to stand for something.....now we stand for nothing.

Just adding: this radical imam is on a cross country tour - he has been cancelled in a few places but not good old Winnipeg where a Catholic church allowed him to speak. Really WTF are they thinking? This radical will behead you if he has the chance.

Are we really that stupid??? And we continue to allow promoters of genocide into Canada.

Again today there is an opinion piece about a radical imam touring Canada spreading his vitriol against Jewish people and the LGBTQ community. And there was an anti Israel protest around Polo Park.

Canada used to stand for something.....now we stand for nothing.

Just adding: this radical imam is on a cross country tour - he has been cancelled in a few places but not good old Winnipeg where a Catholic church allowed him to speak. Really WTF are they thinking? This radical will behead you if he has the chance.

Are we really that stupid??? And we continue to allow promoters of genocide into Canada.
Admissibility would come down to if he has said or done anything illegal or just something a bunch of us consider shitty. Shitty people come to Canada all the time, from all over the political/ideological spectrum. We don’t exclude people from the country or kick them out based just on ideas they express unless they transgress our laws.

I don’t know this case or the person or what they’ve said. I’d be surprised if it could be demonstrated that they advocate genocide as defined by our laws, and they still get let in. That would be a serious miss.

What happens quite a bit is people will be on one side or another of some conflict, are outspoken and say things that piss a lot of people off, and then they come to Canada to speak. Public pressure campaigns will be mounted to encourage the government not to let them in or to kick them out, but it ultimately hinges on what evidence is actually available to the administrative decision maker, and how that evidence matters under our laws.

That’s just my description of what the system is. Personally I’d be fine with Canada’s borders being a bit less open to non-citizens and non-residents who are just coming here to stir up shit, but that would also apply agnostically to anyone coming here not in good faith, I don’t care if someone’s far left, far right, white, brown, black, or what exactly they’re advocating for. My personal belief is Canada could use fewer strangers coming here to stir up shit for their cause back home. I rationalize this based on the principle of our country having absolute sovereignty over who comes in, and nobody without legal status has an entitlement to expect to get to enter Canada.

Last edited:
Admissibility would come down to if he has said or done anything illegal or just something a bunch of us consider shitty. Shitty people come to Canada all the time, from all over the political/ideological spectrum. We don’t exclude people from the country or kick them out based just on ideas they express unless they transgress our laws.
Absolutely.

I like pineapple on pizza. Given the reactions from some people who see me order pizza, I might have a legit fear of being deported :sneaky:

Oh, I know. You just can't bring one across the border.

I don’t know this case or the person or what they’ve said. I’d be surprised if it could be demonstrated that they advocate genocide as defined by our laws, and they still get let in. That would be a serious miss.

What happens quite a bit is people will be on one side or another of some conflict, are outspoken and say things that piss a lot of people off, and then they come to Canada to speak. Public pressure campaigns will be mounted to encourage the government not to let them in or to kick them out, but it ultimately hinges on what evidence is actually available to the administrative decision maker, and how that evidence matters under our laws.

That’s just my description of what the system is. Personally I’d be fine with Canada’s borders being a bit less open to non-citizens and non-residents who are just coming here to stir up shit, but that would also apply agnostically to anyone coming here not in good faith, I don’t care if someone’s far left, far right, white, brown, black, or what exactly they’re advocating for. My personal belief is Canada could use fewer strangers coming here to stir up shit for their cause back home. I rationalize this based on the principle of our country having absolute sovereignty over who comes in, and nobody without legal status has an entitlement to expect to get to enter Canada.
And I fully understand that. One can only hope - and I mean hope because our current governments do not fill me with confidence - that someone is keeping tabs on this so called "holy man" and his shitty entourage.

Despite your horrendous transgressions, if you were born here, we can't deport you and sadly we have to let you back in. But your foreign bought pizza stays at the border.
But what they should be doing to these folks is making their life miserable when they return.
‘Hello, welcome back Canada. Please present you SIN so we can check if you’ve filed a tax return during your absence from Canada and declared all Canadian and Foreign held assets during this time period. We will also check if form NR73 has been filed.’
“Oh, I see that you’ve been out of Canada from greater than 183 days this calendar year, your OHIP coverage in Ontario has been revoked. You’ll need to establish a residency in Ontario for 1 complete year before being eligible again for OHIP coverage.”

Those are the sorts of things that should be occurring.

Back