• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joint Task Force 2 (JTF 2) - Canadian Special Forces

• Thread starter Thread starter the patriot
  • Start date Start date
My two cents...

Yes, every one knows about SAS, JTF2, Delta Force, etc.

Yes, the media keep asking the respective governments about them.

Canada‘s responses to media inquiries don‘t seem as solid and profound as the Brits, who have just one pat line in response:

"We do not discuss special forces."

Period.

They do not need to give a reason, it would be redundant. No further explanations should be offered to the media. Yes, the public has a right to know -- they can write their MP, file ATIP requests, do research into military expeditures. But the government does not, and should not have to explain anything relating to special forces. To do otherwise is just needlessly risking lives.

The Americans also make SF denials, but yet the Sec Def repeatedly mentions them in media releases, touring Fort Bragg and offering up snippets of messages sent back to USCENTCOM from operators in the field in Afghanistan. While I found these messages an interesting and informative read (helpful because I am tracking media mentions of spec ops in Afghanistan since Sept. 11, to compare to any future books/etc. published in the future), they were totally unnecessary, even if they were vetted for sensitive information.

It just feeds the fire.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In Australia it would appear that our tardiness for deploying air and land troops (reinforced SAS Sqn group), is the problems of working under American command.

The last of of the land contingent left Australian today, with our SAS under British command. It appears that there is quite a few problems with the American command structure, the SAS sqn gp was ready to deploy ten weeks ago. The incompatibilty of Australian and American intentions in regard to its tactical deployment as per American commands!!! being the problem, shades of South Viet Nam.

Yours,
Jock in Sydney

Hi there...
I‘m looking for any information about Canada‘s special forces unit JTF2. I would like to know how to get recruited into that unit and what‘s the training like...
:sniper:

From the website www.jtf.ca

"Training the the JTF is very challenging; recruits must possess a Grade Two education and have qualified up to Qualification Level 4 in the Primary Reserve or Regular Force in a combat arms trade. Applications must be submitted in writing to the Office of the Governor General along with primary school transcripts and a letter of recommendation from the soldier‘s Commanding Officer."

Good luck.

Dorosh, you forgot to mention the need for a letter from his parents if he is under the age of majority/consent, also addressed to the GG. :warstory:

Well
For all the people that couldn‘t make it, F***off. You can get more info off their web sight.

I belive you must submit a request to your commanding officer. I had an information package on that about 6 months ago.

When I tried to access the jtf.ca site, it said it was temporarily closed.

This site lists a lot of JTF2 related sites:

http://www.specialoperations.com/Foreign/Canada/JTF2.html

Also, if you want to learn omre about JTF2, a journalist‘s book "Canada‘s Secret Commandos" is a good one to read.

I would like to know how often are people recruited into JTF2 do they have yearly tryouts?
Also can Canadian soldiers tryout for the British SAS?
Thanks. :skull:

Anyone in the CF can try out for the JTF(As long as your Med Cat falls within the parameters). There are three phases;
1- Members voluteer through their chain of command. their units ensure they meet the miniumum medical profile for JTF and they successfully complete the JTF 2 PT test(Coopers Test)
2- Member then undergoes a screening process which inlcludes a cognitive ability test and an interview with the BPSO, to assess attributes identified as critical for JTF 2 applicants.
3- If you get past all that you may be invited to undergo a selection phase. It use to be 6 days but is longer now(By how much I don‘t know). This assesment process is designed to assess attributes deemed critical for sucess in training. It is very demanding and pushes candidates to their mental and physical limits. Assessed are; physical fitness(aerobic and anaerobic), performing effectivly at heights, in water, confined spaces, as a member of a team, problem solving, interpersonal skills. These assessment are made in a high stress tactical situations to assess members ability to recall directions, ID and react to threats, handle weapons safely, and make decisions under mental and physical duress.

Hope this helps....

I take it, from your profile, that you‘re a civilian so, obviously, the first step is to join either the regular force or reserves. After that, there are some basic service requirements that must be met before you can apply for selection. Your Base Personnel Selection Officer (BPSO) will have all of the details and does the initial screening.
Obviously that jtf.ca website is not an official one, so I wouldn‘t put to much faith in anything said there. In fact I would be very careful about what you read in the press (and in particular in the book "Canada‘s Secret Commandos") since I have yet to read a factually accurate article or account of JTF2. In fact, most of it is ridiculous.

See the post in the Infantry forum on the same subject...it outlines the first three phases to getting into the JTF.

As far as I have read, the UK SAS will consider anyone from a Commonwealth armed forces, and have even had U.S. soldiers in its ranks, although probably only on an exchange basis.

As with British candidates, those from the rest of the Commonwealth must have 3 years‘ service or equivalent, and usually be at least a "lance jack" (eq. to corporal), from the books/etc. I‘ve seen.

And of course, everyone has to do the same Selection, which is probably the toughest of any special forces anywhere.

It would be a riot to try out for it, but I doubt I‘d last a day.

When I went to the recruiter‘s office in Barrie, he told me you had to have 4 years of military experience before submitting an application. They also have annual selections where they goto different bases and you can apply. That‘s what I was told.

- Patrick

I am aware that you can join JTF2 through the reserves, however can you stay in the reserves and be in JTF2. Would you have to move to where thay train?

If you make it into the JTF2 from tha reserves then you must sign a 3 year basic engagment and therefore become regular force for that time. Of course you could go back to your reserve unit after that engagement, if you really want to....I don‘t know why?

I tell ya what Doug. I think after a few years with the JTF, with its perks....who would want to go back to the Reg or Rev force. I bet many go civvi. Become Cops (ETF) or start up there own special security companies......guns for hire.

:tank:

Hi, Can anyone tell me what kind of special forces the army has, and what they do *heh* well specialize in i guess. Thats what I plan on shooting for, Special Forces.

Well Canada‘s Special Forces unit is called Joint Task Force 2, like the SAS or SEALS. But there are specialized fields in the army. Ie, pathfinders, recce.. stuff like that. I‘m sure someone else can go into more detail than this.

There are some posts on JTF2 and special forces on the forum too. Look for them.

- Patrick

Back