• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joint Task Force 2 (JTF 2) - Canadian Special Forces

• Thread starter Thread starter the patriot
  • Start date Start date
Canadian JTF-2 special ops force gets American citation

By STEPHEN THORNE

OTTAWA (CP) - Canada's special operations military unit, Joint Task Force 2, has been awarded the U.S. Presidential Unit Citation for heroism in battle.

It's just the second Canadian military unit to receive the honour. U.S. President George W. Bush made the presentation in California to the American commander of the multinational force in Afghanistan of which JTF-2 was a part from October 2001 to April 2002. The citation, first awarded after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour on Dec. 7, 1941, is given to units of the United States and allied nations "for extraordinary heroism in actions against an armed enemy."

"The unit must display such gallantry, determination and esprit de corps in accomplishing its mission under extremely difficult and hazardous conditions as to set it apart and above other units participating in the same campaign."

The only other Canadian unit to receive the citation is the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, for actions at the 1951 Battle of Kapyong during the Korean War.

Military officials refused to release details of JTF-2's exploits in Afghanistan.

While their operations went largely unnoticed by their countrymen, their U.S. counterparts took journalists into combat operations for days on end.

Officials say that's because the U.S. special forces number in the tens of thousands, while Canada's contingent is believed to be fewer than 1,000, and members could be targeted by terrorists.

In a recruiting video released in May 2003, the deputy chief of defence staff, Vice-Admiral Greg Maddison, described in cryptic terms JTF-2's involvement in Afghan operations.

"In numerous challenging missions against Taliban and al-Qaida targets, they captured enemy personnel, equipment, and material of significant intelligence value and hampered the enemy's ability to conduct operations against us and our coalition partners," said Maddison.

The unit became the centre of attention for a few days in 2002 after a photograph emerged showing JTF-2 soldiers bringing in enemy prisoners to a holding facility at Kandahar in southern Afghanistan.

It was the first evidence that Canadians had taken prisoners during the conflict, coming at the peak of debate over the fate of al-Qaida and Taliban fighters captured by the Americans.

In the fall 2001 budget, the federal government announced a five-year, $118.5-million special forces expansion project.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/12/08/772472-cp.html

Not to nitpick here....but the award was given to "the American commander of the multinational force in Afghanistan".  The JTF2 just happened to be part of that force.  So, the citation wasn't given specificaly to the JTF2, and in fact they could have just sat on their butts the whole time and still received it since it was given to the "multinational" force as a whole.

And before anyone jumps on me, all the JTF guys I've met and seen have been fantastic.  I'm sure they pulled their weight in Afghanistan.  Just pointing out that it wasn't awarded to them specificaly.

U.S. President George W. Bush made the presentation in California to the American commander of the multinational force in Afghanistan of which JTF-2 was a part from October 2001 to April 2002.

Hate to say it, but it sounds like the old man is right   :-\

No, unless the newsies have screwed it up completely, the award is to the JTF2.  Presentation was to the commander of the task force who will pass it on to the unit commander.  At least, that's how it should work.

Don't ask me why the presentation wasn't directly to the JTF2, unless it was for security reasons.

Jim

And you know what - since it is a secret unit, and only 2 PPCLI has the PUC besides them, I bet the JTF guys never get to wear it until they are out of the unit....maybe not even then?

Hi, I'm not wanting to rain on the parade but contrary to what the Defence department press release and reports in other news media state, this is NOT as Presidential citation to JTF2. This is a Presidential Unit Citation to Joint Special Operations Task Force-South/Task Force KBAR.

This task force was comprised of 2,800 U.S. Navy, Air Force, Army personnel, conventional and SOF, as well as special ops from nine countries. U.S. SOF in Task Force KBAR comprised of SEALs (SEAL Teams 2,3 and 8)  and Green Berets. Canada contributed approx. 40 JTF2 members to this task force. Other foreign SOF in this task force included Australian (90 SAS) and New Zealand SAS (unknown number), German (103 members), Danish (102 members) and Norwegian SOF (78 members).

cheers
a journalist

Below is a copy of the message for the Presidential Unit Citation.

THE SECRETARY OF THE NAVY

WASHINGTON, D.C. 20350-1000

Ser NDBDM/0934

26 October 2004

To: Chief of Naval Operations

Subj: RECOMMENDATION FOR PRESIDENTIAL UNIT CITATION

Encl: (1) COMNAVSPECWARCOM LTR 1650 Ser 00/0511 of 02 AUG 2002 with
encl

1. After considering the recommendations contained in enclosure (1),the awarding of the Presidential Unit Citation to Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force-South/Task Force KBAR for the period of 17 October 2001 to 30 March 2002 is approved.

THE SECRETARY OF THE NAVY

WASHINGTON. D.C. 20350-1000

The Secretary of the Navy takes pleasure in presenting the

PRESIDENTIAL UNIT CITATION to

COMBINED JOINT SPECIAL OPERATIONS TASK FORCE-SOUTH

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

For extraordinary heroism and outstanding performance of duty in action against the enemy in Afghanistan from 17 October 2001 to 30 March 2002. Throughout this period, Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force-SOUTH/Task Force K-BAR, operating first from Oman and then from forward locations throughout the southern and eastern regions of Afghanistan, successfully executed its primary mission to conduct special operations in support of the United States` efforts as delegated to Commander, U.S. Central Command through the Joint Forces Special Operations Component Command, to destroy, degrade, and neutralize the Taliban and Al Qaeda leadership and military. During its six-month existence, Task Force K-BAR was the driving force behind myriad combat missions conducted in Combined Joint Operations Area Afghanistan. These precedent setting and extremely high-risk missions included search and rescue, recovery dive operations, non-compliant boardings of high interest vessels, special reconnaissance, hydrographic reconnaissance, sensitive site exploitation, direct action missions, apprehension of military and political detainees, destruction of multiple cave and tunnel complexes, identification and destruction of several know Al Qaeda training camps, explosion of thousands of pounds of enemy ordnance and successful coordination of unconventional warfare operations for Afghanistan. The Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen, Marines and coalition partners of Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force-SOUTH/Task Force K-BAR set an unprecedented 100 percent mission success rate across a broad spectrum of special operations missions while operating under extremely difficult and constantly dangerous conditions. They established benchmark standards of professionalism, tenacity, courage, tactical brilliance , and professional excellence while demonstrating superb esprit de corps and maintaining the highest measure of combat readiness. By their outstanding courage, resourcefulness and aggressive fighting spirit in combat against a well equipped, well trained, and treacherous terrorist enemy, the officers and enlisted personnel of Combined Joint Special Operations Task-Force SOUTH/Task Force K-BAR reflected great credit upon themselves and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Armed Forces.

Interesting,

As I see it, those members that were part of Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force-South rate the PUC as part of their individual awards and medals.

Here in the US, if you're part of a unit that was awarded a PUC (with you having served in the unit awarded during the event that the award was given) you are entitled to wear the award for the remainder of your military career.   I even think that the US Army has a policy that a PUC is worn by all members of that unit regardless of whether they were serving with the unit during the event.   They kind of view it as wearing a battle honor.   When they post out of the unit, those that were not present during the PUC event cease wearing the PUC whereas those that were present continue to wear it.  

My unit was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation-Naval for the Battle of Nasiriyah in Iraq 2003.

While official recognition of a job well done is nice, these guys know what they did and don't need a ribbon or a framed certificate to prove it.

Cheers!

Policy is the same here, Matt; check my page on the PUC at www.canadiansoldier.com (under INISIGNIA, then SPECIAL DISTINCTIONS).    The individuals on strength with this unit - if the Canadians are permitted to wear them - can take the PUC with them wherever they serve in the Army.

Hopefully our government has decided that permission will be granted - has that been confirmed?   But as I say, I'm not too sure how often JTF goes out on parade in DEUs, eh.... ;)

Canadian Battle Honours are granted usually when at least half a unit has been involved in an action.  For example, 21 Calgary Highlanders served at Dieppe, but the regiment never received a Battle Honour (rightly so).  Since 40 mbrs does not represent the majority of the JTF, or since the JTF was not acting as a formed unit, David is of course correct that this doesn't represent a unit award for them; rather, they are being rewarded for being on strength with another unit that was so recognized.

I suppose its possible Canada will not allow them to accept the award?

After the farce that went on with our Snipers recieving medals, don't hold your breath.

To all of the members of JTF2, you know who you are...lol.   
Well done!! Bravo Zulu! :salute:

As for the snipers I think they all got the medals they deserved in special parade earlier this year.

It wasn't a farce Mr. Hunter. The farce was generated by some media commentators and CF members who didn't know what they were talking about. The latter, at least, should have known when to shut up. As for the former, the most vocal were the usual suspects (not the likes of a journalist, who is the sort of journalist I wish there were more of: reporting the facts as he is presented with them, without unecessary commentary.)

Acorn

The snipers in question did get their medals along with a bunch of officers and senior NCO's who may or may not be deserving.  There was a parade of the casual observer for the officer/nco presentation while the snipers were behind closed doors (so to speak).

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1102506471249_22?s_name=&no_ads=

Good job for us, and the American's like to say our Special Forces are no good!

And what prey tell gives you the impression that the Americans think our SF guys aren't any good.

Hunter, CFL, et-al,

Let's not go down the well-trodden road of the "Bronze Star" saga.   The issue of whether or not (and the answer is NOT) those awards were waylayed by various "nefarious" forces has been thoroughly debunked in numerous other posts on this and other forums.   The 3 PPCLI snipers received their Bronze Stars in December 03.   Do a search either here or on SOCNET, and you will find the numerous media-inspired "conspiracy theories" thoroughly debunked.  

Regarding any residual "hard feelings" as to whether or not the Meritorious Bronze Stars were equitably awarded?   All I can say is that "right" or "wrong" (by OUR standards), the decorations were awarded in accordance with the criteria applied by our American allies.   At the end of the day, it was THEIR award, and THEIR decision.   While I may not personally agree with the manner in which the Bronze Stars were awarded, I have the professional respect for our allies to accept the rather abritrary (eg.   rank-based) method by which they do such things.   What was done was done.   As far as I am concerned, it is "end of story" and time for those with misplaced heartache to suck it up and move on.   At the end of the day, things aren't going to change at this point.

BTW - The 3PPCLI Snipers received their U.S. Army Bronze Stars from Ambassador Celluci in a private ceremony at THEIR request for PERSEC reasons.   There was no intention to keep them away from the limelight.   They SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED A PRIVATE EVENT.  

Given the above, can we finally "let go" of the 2002 US awards and more appropriately focus on the more recent "Well Done" earned by our Special Forces contingent(s) in Afghanistan?    For my money, they are more than deserving of the shared glory within TF KABAR.   Good on them, but no surprise.

For those who debate over whether or not our JTF fellows are entitled to wear the PUC "Swimming Pool", I would suggest that the discussion (like oh so many on this board) is entirely moot.   Yes, they are unquestionably entitled.   Those who were in Afghanistan are permitted to wear the PUC for life.   Those who weren't, are entitled to wear it while they serve with the unit.   But if you think for a second that whether someone sports the PUC or not is any sort of indicator, welll then I refer you the the 600 (or so) members of 2 PPCLI - all of whom wear the "Swimming Pool".....

Mark C said:
Hunter, CFL, et-al,

Those who weren't, are entitled to wear it while they serve with the unit. ..

I thought this wasn't a unit award to the JTF, but a unit award to the American unit, to whom 40 individuals happening to be from JTF were attached?

Would that not mean the JTF itself is ineligible for this?

Not that it matters as JTF will not very likely be performing public duties at Buckingham Palace, Parliament Hill, or places in between anytime soon....

CFL
Because I have done training ex's with american's before, wether they were in Gagetown, or it was an ex where we went to the states, I have personally heard them say, "Canada has special forces, what, that can't be possible, your army is shitty enough as it is" or "JTF-2, ya they are really shitty in comparison to what we have"
And I have seen them write it on BBS sites on the net, just search for it

Back