• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining the American Military

• Thread starter Thread starter Dave
  • Start date Start date
HI guys, so is there any way a non-native Canadian (born in canada) to join the US army? tnx

Well yeah but Canadians aren't allowed to take part in the green card lottery are they?

All you need to join the US military is a green card. Any US consulate/embassy will be able to assist . There are 40,000 foreign nationals serving in the US military. Recently to reward servicemen who are foreign born  the government has expedited the citizenship process to 3 years. To be an officer you have to be a citizen.

daveb said:
Well yeah but Canadians aren't allowed to take part in the green card lottery are they?

Nope.

Yea, it you only need a green card to get into the US Military(but will not be allowed certain into MOSs/training/units). But quit talking like its something so easy to get, cause its not.

I know it isnt easy. But somehow 40,000 people figured out how to do it.

Is a green card the same as a working permit? Before I had my Metis status I went a spoke to a marine recruiter and he said the only thing foreigners need is a working permit.

atticus said:
Is a green card the same as a working permit? Before I had my Metis status I went a spoke to a marine recruiter and he said the only thing foreigners need is a working permit.

Many CDNs only choose to work and grab a H1B work visa. If you're planning on becoming an American, you would opt for a GC.

Cliff is right. The regulations require a recruit to have a green card.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlstandards_2.htm

daveb said:

Canadians can take part in the green card lottery if their parents are from a qualifying nation such as Germany , Egypt etc....

I will check a list and post it here for you guys...

But seriously, your chances are pretty small.. But I guess its better than nothing.

General Requirements
To enter the Lottery, an applicant must be able to claim nativity in an eligible country. Nativity, in most cases, is determined by the applicant's place of birth.

Persons from ALL COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD ARE ELIGIBLE to participate in the Green Card Lottery, EXCEPT persons born in the following countries:

CANADA, CHINA (mainland, except Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and Taiwan), COLOMBIA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, EL SALVADOR, GREAT BRITAIN (and its dependent territories*, except Northern Ireland), HAITI, INDIA, JAMAICA, MEXICO, PAKISTAN, PHILIPPINES, RUSSIA, SOUTH KOREA and VIETNAM.

*The following dependent areas of Great Britain are not eligible to participate in the Lottery: Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn, St. Helena, Turks and Caicos Islands.

You may still qualify to participate in the Lottery even if you were born in one of the ineligible countries listed above. There are 2 exceptions:

If your spouse was born in an eligible country, then you can claim your spouse's country of birth.
If one of your parents was born in an eligible country, then you can claim your parent's country of birth.

ANy1 know something about joining the army on student visa? I know it's not possible by the law but i've heard of canadians joining the Marine Corps on student visa.   I'm a non native canadian that cant participate in the green card lottery so i'm pretty desperate...

Tnx for the help Ramy

daveb said:
ANy1 know something about joining the army on student visa? I know it's not possible by the law but i've heard of canadians joining the Marine Corps on student visa.   I'm a non native canadian that cant participate in the green card lottery so i'm pretty desperate...

Tnx for the help Ramy

People that are in the US on a student  = or another type of visa  = can do an adjustment of status. Like, if they got married while being a student  they could apply for a GC, then apply for the military. Talk to an immigration consultant and think positive.

Here it is straight from a US Army Recruiter:

Mark,

Thank you for your interest in the United States Army.

Native Americans born in Canada are eligible citizenship-wise, to apply for enlistment into the US Army as long as they possess a Tribal Card (not expired) or letter from tribal council for Native-American born in Canada under the Jay and Ghent Treaties. They must have established a residence here in the United States.

If the above does not apply to you, then you would have to receive your I551 card.  You must be an American citizen or lawfully admitted to the US for permanent residency.  The Immigration and Naturalization Service can provide information; go to http://uscis.gov/graphics/ . Army regulations prohibit us from assisting or sponsoring you in to the United States. Once you have an I-551 (green card) or a document reflecting â Å“processing for an I-551â ?, you can pursue enlistment.

out of curosity, to be an officer does the US military accept degrees given by Canadian university or would have to get your degree south of the border?

I would imagine the degree would be acceptable. But to be an officer you need to be a citizen.

can anyone answer me this important question?

why not serve the counrty you live in?

Thanks Tomahawk.  I seem to recall that the various websites were somewhat vague when it came describing degrees; I should I probably email them. 

Back