• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

It's starting to feel real.

VIChris

Inactive
Reaction score
At the end of Feb., I attended a Soldier for a Day event here in Victoria. A couple weeks after that I popped into the 11th SVC Bn. to meet with their recruiter and check the place out. Last wednesday I completed my application package, with the intention of joining the reserves (specifically the 11th) as a VEH TECH. Yesterday Back Check started calling my references and employers.

I must say, I'm pretty stoked about all this. I was worried I'd fall into the category of a long application process, but so far so good.  :nod:

Got all excited for nothing...  :(

I'm still waiting for any contact from the CF. I'm in somewhat regular e-mail contact with my recruiter, but he's not in charge unfortunately. Anyone else sitting on their thumbs right now waiting for contact from the CF?

VIChris said:

Hang in there, sometimes the big green machine just gets itself bogged down for a bit.

Good luck.

VIChris said:

I'm still waiting for any contact from the CF. I'm in somewhat regular e-mail contact with my recruiter, but he's not in charge unfortunately. Anyone else sitting on their thumbs right now waiting for contact from the CF?

ooh ooh pick me.  ::)  Frustration level is mounting for me and the husband since he has to go on his 6A's ASAP and no word yet.

CDN Aviator said:
Hang in there, sometimes the big green machine just gets itself bogged down for a bit.

Good luck.

Cheers mate. I figure I'll just have to go through a bit of a transition from private industry to government work. I'm used to a significantly quicker pace at work for hiring and procurement etc., but when there are only 8 people at your job, it's easy to make stuff happen quickly.

That was all pretty straight forward. The CFAT was like a mini SAT test really. The spacial awareness stuff was a little harder than I expected though. Mostly because the time limit was pretty aggressive on it. I was a little bummed with my mark on that one considering I'm a fabricator by trade, and 3D thoughts are my business. Oh well, medical and physical are next, and assuming that goes well, I'll be in for fall BMQ.

One thing that I heard from the Captain who did my interview, and I failed to follow up on at the time, was that sometimes the weekend BMQ is held here in Victoria, and sometimes in Chilliwack, depending on where the numbers lie. Has anyone had any experience with how that works in regards to Chiliwack training, but being from the island? I'm envisioning having to leave work early to make a ferry on fridays, and getting back late sundays and being a zombie monday morning.

VIChris said:
One thing that I heard from the Captain who did my interview, and I failed to follow up on at the time, was that sometimes the weekend BMQ is held here in Victoria, and sometimes in Chilliwack, depending on where the numbers lie. Has anyone had any experience with how that works in regards to Chiliwack training, but being from the island? I'm envisioning having to leave work early to make a ferry on fridays, and getting back late sundays and being a zombie monday morning.

That sounds really sticky, wish you the best of luck on that one. I think about that sometimes myself, mississauga to hamilton with no car.

Cluett said:
I think about that sometimes myself, mississauga to hamilton with no car.

If you don't mind me asking, why the commute? There is a CFRC in both cities.

thing was I was living in Mississauga two years ago, when I started my app as a reservist. it was re opened in april, but the thing was... I moved at the end of may. I had a medical appointment in the CFRC MISSISSAUGA for like 2 months, wasn't worth killing that medical and going to transfer (take an additional two weeks) hamilton. And besides I work at Square One right now... I really can't tell you how spread thin the medical unit is for CFRC Toronto, and was told Hamilton probably is and will be the same thing, so axing one date to wait another two months or so wasn't an option for me. I know doesn't sound like much sense... But there is logic. I promise!

Cluett said:
But there is logic. I promise!

I knew there was a logical reason. It wasn't my business to ask. I was just curious about the "tale of two cities". At any rate, congratulations on being accepted into the CF. I think it is the best career in the world. Not the easiest, or safest. You'll face more challenges than we do here on civvy street. But, it has its own rewards for those who are dertemined to do their best. That's not from personal experience, just my observation and opinion.  If you don't mind a word of advice, don't forget to call/write your parents!

hah, alright sounds good...

What if i don't write the rents. :P I think i'm worried about the girlfriend more so than the parents.

Your mom's going to miss you  - call/ write them both.  Just don't go VR-ing from BMQ because of the girlfriend.  ;D

Do people really VR for their girlfriend... The way I look at it, almost been dating for a year, she knows i want this. if she goes and gets another guy. Oh well, my career is more important than my love life for now. And besides there are tons of other woman in this world. That's the way I look at it. I wouldn't VR even if someone got hit by a car, i'd email them or call them depending which way is best... saying "Well you should have looked both ways."

or even, "Boo hoo cry me a river, I'm busy. Bye."

Now that would be something, Family though they wouldn't want to see me upset so they'd tell me to stay. PROBABLY.

People VR for all sorts of reasons.. though I have heard of people VRing for "personal issues" ie/ girlfriend threatening to leave them, or they miss their kids so much they throw away a career midway through.. (friend of mine's husband - he's not the most stick to it of guys)

I think you've got a pretty healthy attitude about it though.  Let the headgames begin :)

Virtual Reality

Just kidding. It means Voluntary Release.

Back