• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is there a "cry" for the Canadian army?

Ala zuma zuma zuma
Ala zuma zuma zing
Ala zuma zuma zuma
Ala zuma zuma zing
Take it off, Zulu warrior...
Take it off, Zulu chief, chief, chief!

;D

When ever we get dismissed from a parade, when we shout out "Honk on Bobo, Hooah!", if you don't know what that means I ain't tellin ya.  As to the hows and whys we do that, I have no bloody idea.  Someone who has been with the 48th longer than I, would probably be able to better answer those questions.  I don't feel stupid doing it, cause the reactions we get are quite comical sometimes (more so when people know what it is we are shouting).

Hatchet Man said:
When ever we get dismissed from a parade, when we shout out "Honk on Bobo, Hooah!", if you don't know what that means I ain't tellin ya.   As to the hows and whys we do that, I have no bloody idea.    Someone who has been with the 48th longer than I, would probably be able to better answer those questions.   I don't feel stupid doing it, cause the reactions we get are quite comical sometimes (more so when people know what it is we are shouting).

"ON GUARD 90"

The ex was crying for a statement, and ours was "Honk On BoBo", we got that comment from the little brother of one of the lads; he yelled it at us as we pulled away from the house to go down to the armouries right before the ex started.

Anyways, at the end of Oh God, the commander has all the regiments formed up, to give his speech about how much of a success the ex was.   Well at the end all regiments then get dismissed and a few of the other units do a chant as they get dismissed.   The Royal Regiment of Canada, were right before us and they bellowed "Ready, Aye, Ready".

Then it was our turn, whispers abound, and the plan was set....

"HONK ON BOBO, HOOAH!" Was born out of mockery to the commander, and all that were present!

The Regiment has done it since.

dileas

tess

Ah...The Red Ball Express showing yet another touch of class! ;D :salute: :cdn:

the 48th regulator said:
"ON GUARD 90"

And how many NCM Reservists paid dearly, (too REG NCMs)
for what the Reserve Commisions did.......to the REG NCMs

Ben

Is there a cry for the Canadian Army?.......I dunno??? "Hey who took  my Timmy's double double and cruller? ;) ;D

Often heard towards the end of 6B courses

Caffein..... Caffein..... Caffein....need my caffein!!!

the 48th regulator said:
"ON GUARD 90"

The ex was crying for a statement, and ours was "Honk On BoBo", we got that comment from the little brother of one of the lads; he yelled it at us as we pulled away from the house to go down to the armouries right before the ex started.

Anyways, at the end of Oh God, the commander has all the regiments formed up, to give his speech about how much of a success the ex was.   Well at the end all regiments then get dismissed and a few of the other units do a chant as they get dismissed.   The Royal Regiment of Canada, were right before us and they bellowed "Ready, Aye, Ready".

Then it was our turn, whispers abound, and the plan was set....

"HONK ON BOBO, HOOAH!" Was born out of mockery to the commander, and all that were present!

The Regiment has done it since.

dileas

tess

Thanks for that little tidbit of regimental history.

Hatchet Man said:
Thanks for that little tidbit of regimental history.

On the other hand, there are those who would pass this off to poor pronounciation of the Gaelic "Ha'ach An Gu Brath".

You see, the official Regimental motto of the 48th is "Dileas Gu Brath" - Gaelic for "Faithful Forever". More commonly , you'll hear people say "Erin Gu Brath" and it sounds like "Erin GO BRA" ... which then kinda sounds like "Bobo" especially when shouted aloud by massed troops.

Thus, due to the pronounciation difficulties of staying in step while saying "Tosach catha agus deire air" meaning in gaelic "first in the battle, last in the fight" ... the simplified, unofficial battle cry of the Highlanders became "Ha'ach An Gu Brath" - Gaelic for "Fight On Forever".

But, I have to admit I kinda like the idea of "The Regimental Family" saluting somebody's little brother with "Honk On, Bobo" ...

Infanteer said:
Yeah, you pucker your lips up and blow hard, attempting to make a farting sound.   :-X

PS.   In the Marines, you are more likely to see Semper Fi.   "Hooah" is something that all soldiers will use, especially after successive bouts of watching Blackhawk Down.

HAHAHHAHHAHAHA !

Back