• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is there a "cry" for the Canadian army?

Actually, this discussion brings to mind an OC and CSM we had once. The OC insisted upon referring to us as "Gunfighters," and worked it into his speech several times when he would address us daily. Everyone from sr privates up to WO thought it gay, and we, the cpls/jacks would beg the pl comds/pl 2ICs to ask him to stop it. It made him lose all respect from the troops, and that was bad for morale.
The CSM had us respond to these pep talks with a loud "Hooah." But, since the entire coy felt it to be gay (on a level I can only equate with a meeting of the Village People and Elton John doing a cover version of a Liberace song, while watching a Rock Hudson movie) it came out as a sort of loud, collective "hhuuuueeehhkkk." Which is incredibly depressing, when you hear it done by a 100 + troops. But, either it was never brought to their attention, or they felt that it was good for morale, or they just wanted to 'leave their mark' it didn't stop. So every coy-level parade would end with the troops making a strangled, half-gasped exhalation, and then walk away mocking the company leadership. And we couldn't stop it, because...well, because the troops were right. 

Professional Canadian soldiers don't grunt, bark, shout, scream, or any of that sort of thing, and anyone who does so must realize that they have now opened themselves up for scathing and merciless harassment. And the worst part is that by doing so, they forfeit any right to defend themselves.

It is acceptable to say "hooah" or "oorah" when dealing with American Infantry, or Marines, as it creates a sense of familiarity to them, and opens communication. It's their thang and they dig it. It's no different than opening a conversation in Afghanistan by placing your right hand on your heart and saying "Salaam Aleikum." But, just as you wouldn't do that at work, don't grunt.

You want to sound professional and hard-core, speak clearly, enunciate, and say things like "Yes, Sergeant", "I understand, Sir", "No, Warrant", or "Excuse me, Cpl". No "yeah," "huh?", "hey, MCpl!". That is professionalism.

armyvern said:
Much like the RCR "Hoy!" Not shouting out at every inopportune moment. Pure.

Can't swear by it but.... think the HOY is a throw back to the Black Watch when 1 & 2 Bn RHRof C were rolled into the RCR.

geo said:
Can't swear by it but.... think the HOY is a throw back to the Black Watch when 1 & 2 Bn RHRof C were rolled into the RCR.
I'll bet that it is. It's not done in the 3rd BN, and I never heard it from the 1st, or heard mention of it.

geo said:
It's actually the cry given during the bagpipe tune "Black Bear".

Personally I think aesops "BOHICA" is pretty close to summing things up  ;D but I have to agree with the "quiet professional" approach.

BTW when my troops go "hooah" around me, I reply with "Hairball?"

geo said:

I'm not so sure.

"Rig-a-jig-jig: Hoy! Hoy! Hoy!" (and variants) was used in The RCR in the '50s and '60s (in 2RCR, for certain), usually as a 'cheer' at inter-company sports matches and drinking contests.  A 'leader' shouted "Rig-a-jig-jig" and the 'followers' answered "Hoy! Hoy! Hoy!"  It was then repeated, in different combinations and permutations, in scat singing fashion.

I think these chants, if that's the right word, originated in 19th century English nonsense verse/songs but, I also think rig-a-jig had (still has?) a sexual context in some parts of the English speaking world.  My recollection (which may be faulty) was that "Rig-a-jig- jig: Hoy! Hoy! Hoy!" was never done in mixed company.

It was certainly never used like our American friends (appear to) use "Hooah!"

Interesting post Edward... sounds most probable & plausible
also interesting what Paracowboy has said about not being heard with the 1st & 3rd....
(wonder why?)

Probably a mix of both "truths"

paracowboy said:
Actually, this discussion brings to mind an OC and CSM we had once. The OC insisted upon referring to us as "Gunfighters," and worked it into his speech several times when he would address us daily. Everyone from sr privates up to WO thought it gay, and we, the cpls/jacks would beg the pl comds/pl 2ICs to ask him to stop it. It made him lose all respect from the troops, and that was bad for morale.

Sounds like a little too much Hackworth.

It is acceptable to say "hooah" or "oorah" when dealing with American Infantry, or Marines, as it creates a sense of familiarity to them, and opens communication. It's their thang and they dig it. It's no different than opening a conversation in Afghanistan by placing your right hand on your heart and saying "Salaam Aleikum." But, just as you wouldn't do that at work, don't grunt.

Paracowboy is right on the mark here - there is nothing inherently wrong with what the Americans do, it is simply the way they do things.  It looks silly when Canadians do it because it is not part of our unique military culture and it is done by people who, as I mentioned earlier, have watched Blackhawk Down too many times.

Hooah,
Infanteer

I'll have to agree with aesop and haggis "BOHICA" seems to be the perfect acronym for use to most situations facing us today.

recceguy said:
I'll have to agree with aesop and haggis "BOHICA" seems to be the perfect acronym for use to most situations facing us today.

Buy one of these and put it on your Tacvest.

http://www.supplycaptain.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=61

I dont mean to sound like a bump on a log...but what does BOHICA stand for?

:cdn:

Haggis said:
It's actually the cry given during the bagpipe tune "Black Bear".
Absolutely.  A very loud and deep HOY. Tradition at the 2RCR Mess Dinner's I've been to, and I have last had the honour to experience it's effect during the funeral services for Sgt Robbie Short. Black Bear was piped as he was being committed with all of 2RCR quietly humming along, the HOYs were loud and forceful and upon their dismassal all turned to the grave with one last HOY. Very moving and appropriate. I will never forget it's impact upon the crowd there that day.  :salute:

Have been invited to several Robbie Burns dinners @ the local chapter of the Black Watch
When they play Black Bear, have had occasion to tease... when they call out "HOY!", I respond with "VEY!"...

Good bunch of lads to call friends

Usman_Syed said:
I dont mean to sound like a bump on a log...but what does BOHICA stand for?

Click on the link Infanteer posted.  All will be made clear.

From the song "hurrah for the CRE.... err CME:
I'll see your HOY and raise you an Oshta or two :)

Good Morning Mr Stevens and windy Notchy Knight,
Hurrah for the CRE
We're working very hard down at Upnor Hard.
Hurrah for the CRE
You make fast I make fast make fast the dinghy
Make fast the dinghy make fast the dinghy.
You make fast I make fast make fast the dinghy.
Make fast the dinghy pontoon.
For we're marching on to Laffan's Plain.
To Laffan's Plain. To Laffan's Plain.
Yes we're marching on to Laffan's Plain
Where they don't know mud from clay.
Ah, ah. ah. ah. ah. ah. ah.
Oshta. oshta. oshta. oshta.
Ikona malee. picaninny skoff.
Ma-ninga sabenza
. here's another off.
Oolum-da cried Matabele,
Oolum-da. away we go.
Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah. ah. ah.
Shush........................Whow!

Hmmm.. not that I wish to rehash but didn;t somebod recently try to coin the term "Whoore-yah"? For the Canadian Military...

Ya.. I think not.. :)

armyjewelz said:
Hmmm.. not that I wish to rehash but didn;t somebod recently try to coin the term "Whoore-yah"? For the Canadian Military...

Ya.. I think not.. :)

C'mon folks..... 
We all know that any sanctioned Canadian Army "cry" would have to be done in both en anglais and in French.  ;D

Every time I hear the "CHIMO!!!", I think of 2 things: 1) back where I grew up, in BC, there was a school, that, shall we say, was serviced by a short-bus, that was named that; and 2) I always get the urge to yell out "CHEMO!!!!" (as in chemotherapy).

Here are some explanations of what it means:
Chimo!(CHEE-mo) is a widespread and ancient Inuit greeting that may be accompanied by a gesture of salutation as well, namely moving the left hand in a circle on the area of the chest over the heart

CHIMO is derived from the Inuktitut language. According to folklore, when two people met on the Arctic tundra, they rubbed their chests in a circular motion and said, "Chimo" , meaning "Are you friendly?" The answer was a repeat of the gesture and the word "Chimo!" ("Yes, I am friendly!)

Chimo!: The last sound heard before a Canadian falls over. Passes out!

So, in all honesty, it is probably the best one we can use in the CF, as it is neither English, nor French, but Native, and depending on your take on the state of the CF in this day and age (huggy-kissy, harassment-phobic, and well, just plain SWELL!!! (imagine Big Gay Al from South Park saying it)) the second definition pretty much sums it up (as paracowboy would spell over the net: Golf Alfa Yankee), especially if both were slathered in seal blubber..... not a pretty mental picture, to be sure  :-X

Al

Oshta. oshta. oshta. oshta.
Ikona malee. picaninny skoff.
Ma-ninga sabenza.

BTW ... translates to: the Matabele way of saying "I am fed up and glad to be leaving".

The Matabele tribe provided many labourers for the Corp of Royal Engineers in South Africa.....

Back