• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Income Tax Question

Marti said:
I go up to the mess quite a bit, and I think it's safe to say things have. First off, the place looks a lot better, the renovations were completed and the mess is now painted in the colours of the 3 units that use it. New lighting's also been put in, though the furniture's still the same.The new TV and accessories were purchased with the intent that members could hold functions to watch sporting events, pay per view etc, and there was a descent turnout during the final rounds of last year's NHL playoffs. As far as the member's conduct, unless a unit's celebrating something, it's usually pretty quiet. There may be an odd shenanigan but it's not nearly as rowdy as anything you've described. The music may be a tad loud sometimes but everyone seems to get by, and the controls are accessible if anyone wants to turn it down. I'll agree things can get out of hand during special occasions but I find the regular parade nights are nothing like that.

Well, that's all good news.  I was in Ottawa during the finals last year, but I remember getting time off during a parade day last year to go watch part of the semi-finals or quarter finals or whatever was on; nice of the WOs and NCOs to do that for us.

I understand Jamie is redoing the bell for the mess - the original was donated by one of the McCumbers but for some reason the oakleaves and capbadge that were WELDED on have gone missing???  I've given out some replacement badges; perhaps I'll even hear the bell ring some day.

Well, my mess doesnt sound like the one you're describing... I havent stayed for very long after hours but I noticed that people were just talking and such, not screaming their heads off and getting piss drunk.

Set it up across the street from the Armouries, make it open to the public, with pictures of the regiment on the walls, and a big sign out front - The Royal Highland Fusilier, or The Queen's Own Rifleman, or The Buglehorn or The Oak Leaf Club, The Black Hat, or even The Guns, Thank God, The Guns!.  Have a back room just for "members" (serving soldiers and guests), and run the place for profit.  I'd gladly play dues for a place like that, with oak walls and hardwood floors, and photos of brave men long dead wearing the same badges as we are, with a well dressed bartender, and clean glasses, and a no-smoking section.

This, though, is a good idea. It would attract civilians to the place and they could learn more about the reserves and many might end up joining because of it!

We have a f*cking well attended mess, It's a great place to blow off steam or relax. I can't speak from long experience, but it's a damned sight less rowdy than my rugby club's clubhouse was.

Pte. Gaisford said:
We have a f*cking well attended mess, It's a great place to blow off steam or relax. I can't speak from long experience, but it's a damned sight less rowdy than my rugby club's clubhouse was.

Yes, but is it a place you could bring your sister to?   And if so, the corollary to that would naturally be, could you?  You know, meet the nice young man who gives you your funny hats and stuff?

Michael Dorosh said:
Yes, but is it a place you could bring your sister to?   And if so, the corollary to that would naturally be, could you?   You know, meet the nice young man who gives you your funny hats and stuff?
My sister? I probably could, as she's a bit of a tease and likes attention. She's been to the rugby clubhouse which, like I said, was worse.  I don't see it as the place to do that, though. Neither in my mind should it be. It's our mess... for us. If I wanted a place to bring family members or even friends I'd go to a quiet pub somewhere.

Pte. Gaisford said:
My sister? I probably could, as she's a bit of a tease and likes attention. She's been to the rugby clubhouse which, like I said, was worse.   I don't see it as the place to do that, though. Neither in my mind should it be. It's our mess... for us. If I wanted a place to bring family members or even friends I'd go to a quiet pub somewhere.

Not a problem, she probably looks like you, anyway.  :o

I'd bring my sisters to my mess...with the possible exception of our linemen, they could probably take down your average Sig Op or sailor in a few seconds. :skull:

I used to be with  15 Fd Amb and I have to say, I like my new mess better, Mewata has character, but we've got tonnes of elbow room, foosball, air hockey, a pool table, darts and its 25 paces from my office!

Please bring all your sisters...and the linemen will take care of the rest.

Why on page one is this thread now titled "Need help with line 12 of my tax return." ?

J. Gayson said:
Why on page one is this thread now titled "Need help with line 12 of my tax return." ?

Cause it's funnier that way?

I think I may have overstated the case, and I think discussion has fizzled, so....I put a boring thread title to see how many people will actually look on in here.

hmm, I should have called it "healthier lifestyle choices you can make", I can hear the crickets chirping now.

Hi Mike,
holy s..t, I am cruzin' the site and see your name pop up - hey I say, I know this guy and I read what you had to say....., well buddy, why don't you come to the next Mess Meeting and say what you have to say to all the Mess mbrs - but don't go public! Let's discuss things within the family!
Mark :skull:

Back