• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Importing Kit from the US

DirtyDog

Inactive
Reaction score
Recently while looking for ACOGs and other pieces of tactical kit, I was informed there's currently an export ban in the US on anything the US military uses or procures.  It seemed like a reliable source and was frustrating to hear at the same time.  So according to this, I can't buy a 4x Acog or a tac Camelbak, among other things.

What's the deal?

Having a fair amount of family and friends in the US, I was thinking of importing some stuff through them, especially now when the dollar is hot.

ITAR. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Traffic_in_Arms_Regulations for a quick explanation. It affects all firearms and accessories, but not Camelbaks. Civilian/sporting firearms can still be exported from the US, but it's a bureaucratic pain which is why so few (if any) US dealers are willing to do it.

Try John Hipwell of Wolverine supplies out of Virden MB, as he might have some ACOGs you want. I am sure there is dealers in Canuckistan that sell to the general public.

You can buy such things here, but they are costly. Up to and over $700AUD for some EOTEChs alone. C79's are also aval for over $1,300AUD.

Camelbaks are everywhere, including here.

Good luck,

Wes

That's at least one reason why prices are higher here - to pay for the extra costs of complying with the ITAR export requirements.

A lot of people don't understand the ITAR (International Tarriff on Arms Reduction).  For items that have been deemed to be a military item - or an item that improves the capability of a military items these are resticted for foreign sale.  What the buyer has to do is fill out a DSP-83 End User form. - Have it stamped by the unit, and then submitted to the US exporter.
  For LE and MIL this is allowable for both unit/agency purshase and for non select fire weapons for individual members.
In theory the item (other than demo's) should not be in Canada - and then once you fill out the End User and paperwork goes forward - then it is imported and proceeds from there.
It does not cost anything more to submit than a normal export cert with the $50 USD fee / order (for the US Exporter to apply to Department of State for export approval) - however this cost is passed on (duh) to the buyer.

UFI - the ITAR was put in place because the US was not happy with the international standard of arms control measure (despite the UN claiming the US was too lax...)

lol I never have problems getting kit up here.  Command Arms Accessories ships me gun bits all the time.  Optactical is a great site for tactical gear (altho no weapon mods allowed to be shipped up here)  Crye Precision wouldn't ship me multicam... so i just got it on ebay.  If you spend the time hunting you can get just about anything shipped up here.

This thread might hold the answer to a question i've got.. I ordered a Serpa holster from an EBay store in St. Paul MN, and it was shipped well over a week ago using USPS. It should have arrived by now, but the online tracking code only works for the US side of things. Once the parcel is handed over to Canada Post, USPS can't track it any further and no new tracking code for Can Post is generated. So, at the moment, the dealer is trying to find out what happened to the holster.

Is it likely it was stopped at the border due to ITAR? are holsters really that sensitive? and if it turns out that ITAR or maybe CBSA is the reason it was held, what are my options?

Holsters are fairly easy to get.  but sometimes they do get held up at the border for a few extra days, sometimes even a week or more.  USPS tracking numbers work once the package is in canada tho.  I use em all the time.  As well I know dozens of ppl who've ordered holsters with no proplems.  All in all I wouldn't worry... just know that USPS is balls and you can never count on them getting your package to you by the time they're supposed to.

DesertVengeance said:
Holsters are fairly easy to get.  but sometimes they do get held up at the border for a few extra days, sometimes even a week or more.  USPS tracking numbers work once the package is in Canada tho.  I use em all the time.  As well I know dozens of ppl who've ordered holsters with no proplems.  All in all I wouldn't worry... just know that USPS is balls and you can never count on them getting your package to you by the time they're supposed to.

You're not special, or some sort of star. Shit happens. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. Order a sniper scope (prohibited for export) from XXXXXXXXXXXX in New York, and it's on your doorstep a week later. Order a sear for your .45 cal Colt from XXXXXXXXXX, in Connecticut, and you'll never get it. Locked in US exit customs, forever, with a charge (fine) against the outgoing shipper. Around $100,000. That's why US suppliers are leery of shipping outside the continental US. Don't blame them, blame Homeland Security. A newly created bureaucracy, bent on securing their place in the overall scheme of things, no matter the cost to the law abiding citizen.

PatrickO said:
This thread might hold the answer to a question i've got.. I ordered a Serpa holster from an EBay store in St. Paul MN, and it was shipped well over a week ago using USPS. It should have arrived by now, but the online tracking code only works for the US side of things. Once the parcel is handed over to Canada Post, USPS can't track it any further and no new tracking code for Can Post is generated. So, at the moment, the dealer is trying to find out what happened to the holster.

Is it likely it was stopped at the border due to ITAR? are holsters really that sensitive? and if it turns out that ITAR or maybe CBSA is the reason it was held, what are my options?

USPS tracking stops the minute it goes into US (export) Customs. Then it goes to  the 'black hole' of Canada Customs. It can then sit for weeks, until some dolt, decides to finally take it from the bag(shelf) an finally forward it to Canada Post.....................................which brings a whole nuther spectrum to the storage, waiting, delivery continuum.

If I mail a letter from Windsor, it goes to our sorting station, five blocks away. Then it gets bagged, sent to  London, then Toronto, back to Windsor, to the sorting plant, to the carriers box, then across town to my neighbour, hopefully for her birthday. Five days after I sent it. I can remember as a kid, leaving a letter in MY mailbox, the carrier picking it up, and it was delivered across town, the next day. Something has gone seriously wrong with """PUBLIC SERVICE""".

recceguy said:
You're not special, or some sort of star. crap happens.
::)

thanks tips.  all i was saying is that from my experience holsters typically don't get held by customs. 

DesertVengeance said:
::)

thanks tips.  all i was saying is that from my experience holsters typically don't get held by customs. 

And all I'm saying is, your supplier is lucky..............and you're not out any dollars. If you're near the border, go get it yourself. If you're not.........take your chances. Keep your purchase under $100.00 USD and it might not get noticed.

Put it this way. If you were doing an "export" check as ITAR (US Customs)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Traffic_in_Arms_Regulations, how many times would you accept 'machine parts' on a package clearly marked from Smith xxxxx Co Ltd, before suspicion set in? Besides, the list grows daily. All known dealers are there already, and everytime another is caught, they get added to the list of "known bad guys" (whether they really are or not) by Uncle Sam.

So basically, I'm forced to wait and see. I'm hoping the dealer will get back to me in a few days if they find anything out.

Back