• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I need your opinions.

E

EasyCo

Ok, so I'm in quite the situation here and I'd reallly appreciate the input.

I currently work for Environment Canada in a job I hate.  Not being one who likes sitting around waiting for things to happen, I applied for the CF and a CS-1 position at CCRA at the same time...  turns out I got both.

Now I'm torn.
A part of me says go CS-1
Pros:
- $47K a year
- I get to stay with friends, family and girlfriend
- I get to snowboard and wakeboard every weekend
- I don't have to wake up at 5:00 (I love sleeping)

Cons:
- I don't want to be a drone in the gov.
- I want a challenge
- I want a drastic change of pace

Then a part of me says go CF
Pros:
- A challenge
- More rewarding
- I get spec. pay when training is done(~$52K/year)
- I'll meet new people
- I'll learn new things that most people will never learn in their life

Cons:
- I leave my friends, family and girlfriend for a while
- Wakeboarding and snowboarding will be reduced to almost none.
- I'll have to wake up at 5:00am (Which I can do no problem, it's just not plesant)
- I'll be making substantially less then I would be making as CS-1 for the first 2 1/2 years.

What would you do??

I've done that and it ends in a dead-tie.  That's why I'm looking for opinions.

Well what are the pros and cons of serving Canada, and at the govnt's pleasure? Seriously? This is a big component, civil servants as you have mentioned do not have this issue of giving up a lot for often very little.

I work in the govnt, with a LOT of CS-1's... and if I could define "Drone" in the dictionnary, they'd be close... (probably CR-3s are closest)

Anyway, noone here can decide for you... if you really aren't sure about the military however, I would not do it. It is not just another civvy job equivalent that is a bit more exciting.

EasyCo said:
Cons:
- I leave my friends, family and girlfriend for a while
- Wakeboarding and snowboarding will be reduced to almost none.
- I'll have to wake up at 5:00am (Which I can do no problem, it's just not plesant)

With the exception of during basic training, you know you still have your weekends off in garrison?

It's defenitely not an issue of "not being sure about the CF".  I'm 100% certain I'd like to do it, but I'm also 100% certain I'd like to do the CS-1 thing as well.
I'm not asking anybody to decide for me, I'm just looking to discuss and maybe uncover pros or cons I hadn't considered.

Lemme put it this way, as someone who manages a bunch of CS people in the Feds here in Ottawa: it's good solid work with excellent job security, benefits, etc.  Advancement possibilities are good and as soon as you reach management-level CS ranks (CS-3, CS-4), you make anywhere from senior Capt to junior LCol equivalent pay.  I've seen some smart CS reach CS-3 at 26-27 years old.  That's the upside.  Now for the downside: the Public Service is, for the most part, soul-sapping routine in fluorescent-lit cubicle farms.  Many IT shops I know of have poor morale, are over-worked and the people are constantly looking for change, if only to change lousy work-places, which makes you feel better for a few months or a year.  Many mornings I wake up and regret having left the RegF for the Public Service when I did (just before Yugoslavia blew up and the years of intensive operations started).  It was fun for a few years, but by the time I realized that I might have been better off as a career capt or maj in the RegF, it was too late to turn the clock back.

If you are truly hung up between the RegF and the Public Service, go for the Army.  You can always try the bureaucracy later.  It's not that easy to do it the other way around and you may have many regrets later, when it's too  late.  If nothing else, a few years in the service will make you a better person, someone who is more attractive to potential employers.  Trust me on this.  The kind of people I see coming in to the Public Service nowadays is kind of depressing: young people lacking in basic living skills such as self-discipline.  Ex-servicemembers at least can find their ass with one hand and wipe it without detailed instructions from management.

That's my take in it and it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

Horse_Soldier said:
is, for the most part, soul-sapping routine in fluorescent-lit cubicle farms.   Many IT shops I know of have poor morale, are over-worked and the people are constantly looking for change, if only to change lousy work-places, which makes you feel better for a few months or a year.  

*looks up at ceiling*. Wow, aren't I going to feel good for the rest of the day, sir. Thanks! :p

Horse_Soldier said:
If you are truly hung up between the RegF and the Public Service, go for the Army.   You can always try the bureaucracy later.   It's not that easy to do it the other way around and you may have many regrets later, when it's too   late.   If nothing else, a few years in the service will make you a better person, someone who is more attractive to potential employers.   Trust me on this.   The kind of people I see coming in to the Public Service nowadays is kind of depressing: young people lacking in basic living skills such as self-discipline.  

Didn't think about it that way... but yeah, there you go EasyCo.. if you need encouragement, you can look at all the guys on this board who are waiting to get an offer....

Thank you! That's the kind info/opinions I'm looking for.  I'm 21 so I still have lots of life ahead of me, it's just a matter of wanting to make the right decision.

Meridian said:
*looks up at ceiling*. Wow, aren't I going to feel good for the rest of the day, sir. Thanks! :p

If you can't escape the misery, share it  ;D

Mind you, I did three years in the private sector (not-for-profit) and it wasn't much better.  The office politics were a lot worse.  If you're a "knowledge" worker, the fluorescent-lit cube farm is pretty much what life is all about.  On the other hand, I look forward to gettting out in the fresh air in full fighting order for a forced march much more than I did when I was a regular ground-pounder.  :blotto:

Indeed. I work in a "modified" (I use the term extreemly loosely) warehouse-concept building.. (the building was a warehouse and "server-farm" back in the days when the computer filled a huge three story room)  and many of us have actually turned off the lights above us due to the headaches.. but I digresss :)

I work for a consulting firm with a long-term IT support contract for the feds.. and I work on-site with the client...  I just get a different paycheque (albeit a much smaller one :) ) Anyway... EasyCo: if it helps any, I am much like Horse_Soldier in that I work the mundane day to day thing and after having a small taste of the mil-life... Im in the very early process now of getting into the reserves...

Perhaps that may be something you may want to consider as well, although apparently you already have a RegF offer waiting for you....

I gotta say, the first thing that sprung to my mind after reading your first post was what about the reserves?
I don't know how you feel about  the reserves, but it might be the best way to get the best of both worlds in your situation.

Where would I find time to do reserves training with my full time job?

EasyCo said:
Where would I find time to do reserves training with my full time job?

Umm... evenings and weekends, perhaps  ;D
Do my full-time PS job (or is that BS job?  :p) Monday-Friday 8:00-16:30 and work at the unit Tuesdays 19:00-22:30 and 1-2 weekends a month, usually from Friday 19:00 to Sunday 16:30.

I agree with Horse-soldier. There is time for many things and both can be done and done successfully. All you need is the initial time for your basic training and you're on your way. Try it, give at least 2-4 years of your life to the army, you'll be a changed person and if you don't like it after that, then go back to civ life.

Good luck in deciding.

Just out've curiosity, I know reserves is tuesdays, and 2 weeks a month but is there any way to do more then that? Sorry in advance if this seems like a stupid question or if this has been asked before which i'm sure it has but i've not found the answer to. ::)

You might want to try this - there are many CS who work for DND as civilians and are also in the reserves.  It is really the best of both worlds.  :cdn:

Dude, if I had to decide between the army and the uncivil service, I'd go Army.  Because the CS will use you as you are to do mundane, boring work that is all about office politics.  The army will take you out of yourself, test you to your limits, and make you a better, action-oriented person.

I sound like a recruiting poster.  ;-)

In any case, I am working at a bureaucratic job for a large corporation.  I hate it.  I'd rather be out stomping forest fires or building winter roads in upper Pangnirtung...because there you get to see the consequences of your actions, up close, and your actions matter to the day to day lives of those around you. 

It really depends on what your profit motive is:  Security or happiness?  It is possible to have both, but generally happiness is the better option.  Short-term action, Strategic action or long-term planning for nebulous goals?

Given the relatively good position with the civil service, plus not having to leave your family and girlfriend (the girlfriend would factor big for me), I would say go for CS-1. Work the CS-1 position and join the reserves - that way you get both and if you really love the reserves, you can join the reg force. If you hate it, you haven't lost anything and you've still got a job, plus your proximity to friends/fam/girlfriend and your ability to pursue your sports on weekends.

Hello Easy Co,

I'm new to posting here but saw your request and wanted to add a few comments.  This is a big step for you to take and I would suggest you take the CS job and join the Reserves, then if you like the military way of thinking you can always switch to regular force and you will have that added CS experience when you do join.

Something else to think about.  Would you rather work as a CS with perhaps the same supervisors or join the military and start at the bottom where you don't have to think just do as you're told and have your supervisors changing every couple of years. A new supervisor comes in with new thinking and then you are back to square one.  The other side of that coin though is that if you don't like your supervisors in the military you know you don't have to put up with them forever.....  As an earlier poster said - go with your heart.... Good Luck and please keep us posted on your decision.    Cheers, Dianne

Back