• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I guess democracy doesn't work...protests on Afghan mission.

Franko

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
Reference the fair share thingy....

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080314/afghan_protests_080314/20080314?hub=TopStories

Group plans 20-city protests over Afghan mission

Updated Fri. Mar. 14 2008 5:56 PM ET

The Canadian Press

TORONTO -- Canadians must stand up and make their voices heard if politicians are to be convinced to end the military mission in Afghanistan, protesters said Friday as they drummed up support for rallies in 20 communities across the country this weekend.

Protesters in big cities and small towns plan to speak out against the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan and Thursday's vote in the House of Commons to extend Canada's presence in the country until at least 2011.

"We want to make sure that voices we have not been hearing in the debate that has occurred over the last few days around the extension of the mission in Afghanistan are heard,'' said Sid Lacombe, national co-ordinator for the Canadian Peace Alliance.

Canada should end its combat role in Afghanistan and adopt a new approach of providing aid under the United Nations instead of NATO, said New Democrat MP Peggy Nash.

"To find ourselves here again debating another extension is very troubling,'' she said. "And it makes me wonder if in another few years, will we be having the same debate again?''

Canada has always been viewed internationally as a balanced, moderate mediator, which should be the role the country strives for, said Mohamed Boudjenane of the Canadian Arab Federation, who is the NDP member of the legislature for Etobicoke North.

"Canada's strengths are not in its military force,'' he said. "Let's not (kid) ourselves -- we're not a power.

"Our ability and our force and strength are in our moral authority as a peacekeeper.''

Members of Parliament voted 198 to 77 in favour of extending Canada's mission in Afghanistan. But for Canadian troops to remain in Kandahar, Ottawa has demanded that NATO provide a minimum of 1,000 reinforcements, which the United States and other allies have quietly suggested will happen.

Protests are scheduled for Saturday in Calgary; Castlegar, B.C.; Charlottetown; Edmonton; Fredericton; Grand Forks, B.C.; Guelph, Ont.; London, Ont.; Mississauga, Ont.; Montreal; Nelson, B.C.; Ottawa; Sarnia, Ont.; St. John's, N.L.; Toronto; Vancouver; Victoria; Whistler, B.C.; Windsor, Ont.; and Winnipeg.

Since 2002, 80 Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have been killed in Afghanistan.

Oh the peace nicks from Freddy are at it again. Perhaps they'll be passing out some more tasteless yellow ribbons?

Now this one gets me.

MP Peggy Nash wonders if we'll be debating the mission again in a few years. Ya think? Seeing as they, along with Layton, instigated the whole debate debacle....one would think that all NDP MPs were onboard and would relish any debate at all.

As for yet another protest, more than likely a small turn out at all of them, I guess that the NDP had to go this route after their attempts to get the mission shut down in Parliament yesterday failed.

Maybe I'll go just to have a good laugh...now where's my tour sweater?        ;D

Regards

St. John's, N.L.;

Hmm, when is this? I want to go in, an voice my opinion to them.

Fellow Newfs (and anyone else that can get there)! Gather 'round! We shall have our own protest to protest their protest! All you Veterans, Soldiers, Sailors, Air Force personall, an those of us joining or just want the Afghan people to have a better life, get ready. Let's show them that what we are doing really does make a difference. Let's show them the truth.

Anyone in?

Recce By Death said:
Canada should end its combat role in Afghanistan and adopt a new approach of providing aid under the United Nations instead of NATO, said New Democrat MP Peggy Nash
Why has nobody very publicly reminded the NDP that the NATO mission is authorized under a UN Security Counsel resolution which calls on member nations to contribute troops to ISAF?

I always thought the Afghan mission was done by NATO at the behest of the United Nations?

The horses are loose, best protest and close the gate....

Here's a list of where events are scheduled - details on the link:

CALGARY, AB
CASTLEGAR, BC
CHARLOTTETOWN, PEI
EDMONTON, AB
FREDERICTON, NB
GRAND FORKS, BC
GUELPH, ON
LONDON, ON
MISSISSAUGA
MONTREAL, QC
NELSON, BC
OTTAWA, ON
SARNIA, ON
TORONTO, ON
VANCOUVER, BC
VICTORIA, BC
WINDSOR, ON
WINNIPEG, MB

MCG said:
Why has nobody very publicly reminded the NDP that the NATO mission is authorized under a UN Security Counsel resolution which calls on member nations to contribute troops to ISAF?

From the latest UN Security Council endorsing resolution attached (.pdf) - feel free to share the love:
(....)
Reiterating its support for the continuing endeavours by the Afghan Government, with the assistance of the international community, including ISAF and the Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) coalition, to improve the security situation and to continue to address the threat posed by the Taliban, Al-Qaida and other extremist groups, and stressing in this context the need for sustained international efforts, including those of ISAF and the OEF coalition,
(....)
Recognizing the robust efforts taken by ISAF and other international forces to minimize the risk of civilian casualties, notably the continuous review of tactics and procedures and the conduct of after-action reviews in cooperation with the Afghan Government in cases where civilian casualties have reportedly occurred,
(....)
Decides to extend the authorization of the International Security Assistance Force, as defined in resolutions 1386 (2001) and 1510 (2003), for a period of twelve months beyond 13 October 2007;
(....)
2. Authorizes the Member States participating in ISAF to take all necessary measures to fulfil its mandate;
(....)
5. Calls upon ISAF to continue to work in close consultation with the Afghan Government and the Special Representative of the Secretary-General as well as with the OEF coalition in the implementation of the force mandate;

Anybody going to the Teach-in at the Ottawa Public library?

From the Nelson, BC program info:
Program will include NDP MP Alex Atamanenko, Francisco Juarez (former Canadian Army Lieutenant who refused deployment to Afghanistan), and several local speakers and poets. Selections from "Winter Soldier: Iraq & Afghanistan," featuring testimony from U.S. veterans who served in those occupations, giving an accurate account of what is really happening day in and day out, on the ground, will be shown.
The Raging Grannies and other local musicians will provide entertainment. Literature tables, opportunities to take action, and delicious food and drinks will be available. Free and open to the public. Donations gratefully accepted.
This guy is outrageous, he never held a comission, he was never ordered to go to Afghanistan and therefore, it is impossible that he refused to deploy. How much longer are the peace protesters going to continue to rally around this fraud? As well, is it really so difficult to distinguish between Afghanistan and Iraq? I mean seriously, someone should teach these people to read a map. There is no real connection between these 2 very seperate operations, yet Canadians are continually looked at as the Americans lap dogs. Furthermore, politicians who depreciate the contributions of the Canadian military throughout history need to wake up and actually read up on topics before they speak out on them.
Canada has always been viewed internationally as a balanced, moderate mediator, which should be the role the country strives for, said Mohamed Boudjenane of the Canadian Arab Federation, who is the NDP member of the legislature for Etobicoke North.

"Canada's strengths are not in its military force,'' he said. "Let's not (kid) ourselves -- we're not a power.
Canada has always been viewed internationally as a balanced, moderate mediator? How about we ask the Axis forces from the Second World War about that one, I'm sure they would paint a very different picture of Canadians. On the topic of being a power, we may not be a global power but we still do have meaningful contributions to make. It's amazing how ignorant people can be.

My favorite example of Canadian "mediation" is the action at Kap Yong.
It's a good starting point to discussing Medak Pocket.
And the seperation of Peacekeeping myth from Peacekeeping fact.

My point - Giving the farm away to bad guys doesn't buy peace.....
ergo - It's poor mediation.

Looks like taliban jack is siding with his buddies again.

Sorry jack, majority still rules, your collection of mis-informed niave protesters won't change that. ::)

just returned from a trip to Fredericton......we happened to drive by City Hall.  There were less than 20 people there demonstrating.    Guess there ere not enough people interested enough to protest along with the few who were there.    ;)

Just came from the Guelph protest, jeepers, if I had known CTV was going to interview me I would have shaved before heading down. :-[
I wonder if I'll make the cut........

It was typical anti-American, more affordable housing, get our soldiers out of Iraq kife.
The only speaker that was at all semi-informed was Tom King, the local federal NDP candidate. I had a chat with him afterward and at least he felt the same way I did at some stooge bastardizing the American National anthem. [his Brother is a severely wounded Vietnam Vet]

The University of Guelph professor [his name escapes me, I'll look it up tonight] was a typical, " Geneva Convention/pipeline/pre-planned invasion/bombing innocents" fool who, when I called him on using the Senlis Council as part of his speech by saying they support more troops, said " Well the don't know everything". ::)

Apparently he's a graduate and was an instructor at RMC years ago....

I'm glad I went.

Darn, I missed the prostest march in Montreal - usually demonstrations go right by me on st catherine's street, gotta love working in a store with big windows.

Why don't they protest during the Cold Winter months. As opposed to the when it is warmer.

Typical of the anti war crowd. Winnipeg's will start in about 30 minutes....I'm at the Armories so I will watch them on TV, have a rant and be done with it.

I am tempted to visit Winnipeg's. Its a shame we don't rate such a shining beacon for the cause as Francisco Juarez.
[Sarcasm off ]
But seriously, this kind of thing gives me a headache when I try to rationalize it.

A post by Terry Glavin at this blog:

Forget the Silly "Anti-War" Parades. Put The Afghan People First.
http://transmontanus.blogspot.com/2008/03/forget-silly-anti-war-parades-put.html

From Lauryn Oates, co-founder of the Canada Afghanistan Solidarity Committee,
http://afghanistan-canada-solidarity.org/

in today's [March 14] Globe and Mail:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080314.wwcoafghan14/BNStory/Afghanistan/

"If we do not urgently refocus our debate and put the needs and interests of Afghans at the heart of our discussions, we will leave a bleak smear in the Canadian history of international interventionism, a smear that will bring us shame in the history books our children will read. We must ensure that we are finding constructive solutions to the underlying problems plaguing Afghanistan and to the issues that Afghans point to as priorities, and not merely to our own insular interests. We have limited time to start making a genuine effort to understand Afghanistan, its history and its people, and to recapture what we have lost of our identity as humanitarians and peace-builders."

And a press release from Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan:
http://www.w4wafghan.ca/
                                                    "Troops Out" is Pro-War

With the organized ‘anti-war’ rallies planned this weekend across Canada, there are many Canadians who consider themselves peace activists who share a different view.

“I do not agree with the 'troops out' position," says Janis Rapchuk, board member of the Calgary-based volunteer organization, Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan.

“I’m a peace activist and have spent years volunteering my time on a daily basis in what could be called ‘living activism.’ That is, our activism is aimed towards a sustainable peace in Afghanistan. Marching on the streets may give voice to one group of organized individuals, with a set agenda like the TROOPS-OUT position, but it does not provide space for good dialogue and discussions that can help Canadians understand how we can influence change and provide sustainable alternatives to war”, says Rapchuk.

Her organization raises awareness and funds to advance and protect human rights for Afghan women and girls. “It is important to learn about the complexities of these issues. If you don’t like the role Canada has in Afghanistan, then lobby for change but be sure that your actions are based on what is best for the people of Afghanistan, if you truly believe in ending war, ” says Rapchuk.

“From our perspective, a troop withdrawal would mean a very bloody civil war with no end in sight--an assessment in line with the United Nations. This is a very emotional issue for Canadians, and rightfully so given the millions of lives at risk, both Afghan and Canadian. We, as Canadians, have a very important role working in partnership with the Afghan people. The majority of Afghans want us there and want to work towards building a peaceful Afghanistan with those who truly have this as their goal. We see this troops-out position as, in fact PRO-WAR!," says Rapchuk.

Mark
Ottawa

Relax, folks.  This is a great example of what we have and are serving for.  Let em go misinformed or no, let do their thing and bask yourself in their free speech.  You gave to em!

Looks like there's one in London tomorrow afternoon. I'd go, but I've gotten into arguments with people before and they all seem to regurgitate the same garbage. It's like none of them can think for themselves. Oh well...

Back