• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hydroxycut/supplements

cdnaviator said:
Fred, i call total BS on your part......

I've been to just about every mess hall in the CF and you can always make a healthier choice without starving.  Heck, if i can manage to eat healthy and lose excess weight living in hotels, depending totaly on restaurants while on per diem and working schedules that would make an combat arms guy's skin crawl......i am quite certain that you can manage it too.  You're just not using you head and using the mess as an excuse.

I'm not saying it's always bad, but at least a couple times a week, there's fried trans fat, fat, salty fat, and vegetarian fat. And the sides? Fries and buttered-up carrots.

I try to eat healthy as much as possible--with the occasional bad food; I'm human after all--but sometimes it seems even the seemingly "healthy" choices aren't quite that healthy. Salmon is good, but when it's dripping in sugary sauce... not so much.

Besides, the problem with my diet isn't what I eat in the mess, it's what I eat out of it. It's just not helping that it's sometimes a bit harder to find good foods in the mess other than the salad cart. But hey, I've lost just about 20lbs in, what, 10 weeks? Guess I'm doing something right.

St. Micheal's Medical Team said:
I still think creatine is a waste of money.
I think all supplements are a waste of money, and have said so on several different threads, but it's unfair to just slap out a blanket statement. Especially when there is evidence to the contrary of that opinion.

Creatine works as advertised. That's irrefutable.

I've stated, often, that it's not necessary but it does work. For a specific purpose. And that it can be counter-productive for other purposes. From my first post on this site I've said that all a person needs to do is eat healthy, run, and do push-ups, sit-ups, and chin-ups. But, creatine WILL add mass and increase strength.

Don't you think it makes more sense to educate people, than to just make an easily deniable statement thereby casting your other statements in doubt?

Tow Tripod said:
The worst decision I made was taking that crap in Afghanistan.I was either ******** my guts out or worse Iam very confident that it ended up giving me GOUT. GOUT = PAIN. The last two months I limped around with a broken hockey stick when I was trainning the Afghan National Army.The ANA said I looked like MOSES!! Iam a porker and always will be a porker I guess. I wouldn't recommended Hydroxcut to my worst enemy. OK maybe Jack Layton!!!

TOW TRIPOD

WE BREATH FIRE AND DEATH

Thats what happens when you ignore the warning label on the bottle that says store in a COOL dry place. ;)

Frederik G said:
I'm not saying it's always bad, but at least a couple times a week, there's fried trans fat, fat, salty fat, and vegetarian fat. And the sides? Fries and buttered-up carrots.

I try to eat healthy as much as possible--with the occasional bad food; I'm human after all--but sometimes it seems even the seemingly "healthy" choices aren't quite that healthy. Salmon is good, but when it's dripping in sugary sauce... not so much.

Besides, the problem with my diet isn't what I eat in the mess, it's what I eat out of it. It's just not helping that it's sometimes a bit harder to find good foods in the mess other than the salad cart. But hey, I've lost just about 20lbs in, what, 10 weeks? Guess I'm doing something right.

My buddy is a M/CPL cook at your mess, I would be happy to pass on your complaints if you would like to PM me.

potato

spud said:
My buddy is a M/CPL cook at your mess, I would be happy to pass on your complaints if you would like to PM me.
further, there is a complaint/suggestion card in every mess in Canada. Fill one out and put it in the suggestion box.

St. Micheal's Medical Team said:
But talk to PSP, they are the experts...I am just a medic...

What do I know.  :-\

Now my friend, don't get one my pet peeves rolling.......this would be the same medical community who just buried their collective heads in the sand and said for years that steroids don't work so all the info that 'gym rats' got was from dubious second hand sources and many screwed themselves doing it. For most body-builders it wasn't until Muscle Media 2000 came out that some 'real' info got in print out to your average joe. [ He has since sold out to the billions of supplement money now though also]

I rarely eat at the mess,but as a marching NCO a while back I did notice that nothing was labeled.I plan on putting in the suggestion later this week at the mess.But I think it would be a good idea to put down things like calories, fat content so people who are less educated on the subject can make better choices.

Just on the hydroxycut topic,I've lost 4 lbs this week. 1 1/2 cardio a night plus push-ups,sit-ups etc.
6 more to go.

Speaking purely from my experiance working in kitchens, that is a very difficult request.

It's not as simple as adding up the ratio's of different food products, you also need to know how cooking affects the nutritional content. If the food is fried, you would likely need to test each finished product for accurate information.

Plus, it would tie the hands of the cooking staff, as they would have to adhere to very exact proportions of ingredients and cooking techniques.

This is why even large chain resturaunts (Montana's, Kelsey's from my experiance - I have been told it is the same at most table service restaurants) can't give you nutritional content. Too many variables. Fast food is much easier, as portions are usuially pre-determined, and most if not all cooking is automated (Timers, timers, timers...)

That being said, my knowledge of messes is very limited, so this might be workable. But I doubt it. (My knowlege of messes consists of knowing that the food at CFB Winnipeg and Valcartier was very good.)

Be careful with how much cardio you do, i know you want to loose that fat, but if you start to do to much you will loose muscle, so although you may loose the weight you wont look any different.

Yep I was told if you do too much cardio you have to do more upper body work outs because thats where you lose the muscle.

Cut out coffee too....that aint pretty.

this thread is starting to make me leery with it's focus on that most ridiculous of yardsticks: weight. Weight is immaterial to fitness. I do NOT want to read about daily sitreps on how many pounds someone has shed, or whether one has a six-pack abs, or any other vanity-induced crap.

If it doesn't pertain to health, or the fitness requirements of the military, it doesn't belong. Let's keep that in mind.

Performance, not appearance.

paracowboy said:
this thread is starting to make me leery with it's focus on that most ridiculous of yardsticks: weight. Weight is immaterial to fitness. I do NOT want to read about daily sitreps on how many pounds someone has shed, or whether one has a six-pack abs, or any other vanity-induced crap.

If it doesn't pertain to health, or the fitness requirements of the military, it doesn't belong. Let's keep that in mind.

Performance, not appearance.

Weight is still pretty important. How many fat olympic athletes do you know of? How about fat marathoners? Heck, how many fat paras are there?

My guess is, not a whole lot. So weight is pretty important even if you don't like it.

Frederik G said:
Weight is still pretty important. How many fat olympic athletes do you know of? How about fat marathoners? Heck, how many fat paras are there?

My guess is, not a whole lot. So weight is pretty important even if you don't like it.
there you go: you say "fat" and then "weight". They are not necessarily related. Which is why the BMI was scrapped a long time ago.

I weigh around 215 - 220. I have a 32 - 34 inch waist. So, I ain't fat, but I weigh quite a bit. UNRELATED.

As a general rule, people who weigh a lot tend to also be fatter than people who weigh less. It's not infallible, but it's a good rule of thumb.

Frederik G said:
As a general rule, people who weigh a lot tend to also be fatter than people who weigh less. It's not infallible, but it's a good rule of thumb.
but the obsession with weight and appearance as opposed to health and performance is why we have male children killing themselves with the abuse of steroids and thermogenics (he said, attempting to tie this back into the thread), and female children starving themselves to death. Vanity and insecurity, which are the antithesis of what a healthy lifestyle is supposed to be about. It's why people throw tens of thousands of dollars away on stupid supplements like protein powder.

Now, let's look at fat and performance. Power-lifters and linebackers carry a significant percentage of bodyfat. But, they can accomplish some amazing feats. I wouldn't want one of those beasts hitting me with a tackle. I wouldn't get up again. But, you can, in many instances, call them "fat".

Now, lets look at professional body-builders. They sure look good, don't they? But very few of them are healthy. Their guts are cancerous, their hearts are screaming at mach 9, their abdomens are swollen, their kidneys are trying to shut down, they dehydrate themselves to the point where they cramp up, or collapse, or fucking DIE onstage. And they're not really that strong, for the most part, when compared to Olympic athletes like power-lifters and gymnasts.

Now, THAT is why I do not want to see a thread that SHOULD be devoted to health and fitness, get side-tracked with appearance and weight. You following?

Frederik G said:

Vasili Alexiev, Russian power lifter.

Or for that matter pretty much every guy in those worlds strongest man competitions.

Frederik G said:

Perhaps.  However, in terms of volume, lean muscle weighs much more than fat.  Thats why, when people start, say, weight training and doing cardio, they may loose "inches" but not see much weight difference, as the lean muscle they are developing weighs as much, or possibly more, than the fat lost.

Also, in terms of metabolism, lean muscle burns calories.  If you do decent cardio, and keep on lean muscle (and eat, sleep right and stuff like that too), your body will be at its natural best ability to burn the calories you put into it, instead of packing it on as fat.

You ever/heard of a guy named Covert Baily?  He has some interesting books on "fit or fat" type stuff...

Paracowboy mentioned one point I liked.  Once you STOP taking these supp's, your body goes back to its natural state.  Same as steriods.

You are, IMHO, then putting a short term solution on a long term problem...and in a short while, will go back to that cycle and tool to "fix" what you don't like.

Back