• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to pack a rucksack

In regards to weight I and others are in the train of thought that more is better, it has nothing to do with being hard but if you condition yourself to carrying extra weight ie:all your kit and possibly sandbags or free weight plates, when  it comes crunch time and you have to carry extra weight for example water, food, ammunition, yours and support weapons, grenades, the list goes on, you dont become a liability to your unit and those around you.  If you are unable to carry that weight then your fireteam partner will end up carrying you and your kit and that only screws him over but can also jeapordise your mission.  If you dont beleive me just ask those who were humping through the mountains in Afghanistan, with all their kit plus.

SOLDIER ON!

For extra weight, I usualy carry extra water. Chances are I won't drink any of it, but you never know when somone might need it.

I've been in the army close to five years now and I still can't pack my rucksack right. Any suggestions?

If you are heading out to the field pack it so that the most important and most likely to be used first items are at the top for easy access. If you are just headed out for a march, pack the lightest items on the bottom and the heaviest at the top of the rucksack.

5 yrs??? In what?

Shyte!

Cadets? (not that I am smearing shyte on them, plenty of good ones out there) Militia? Regular?

Use your commonsense mate, but remember, you carry what you pack! With 5 yrs in, you should have gone through this stage on your first ruck march, learning from both yours and others mistakes.

Most units have SOPs when it comes to ruck packing, but they want you to take bloody everything. However, this may be used as a generic guide.

Try doing a search for this subject matter on the site, as I am sure its been discussed to the maximus on here.

MedTech708 said:
I've been in the army close to five years now and I still can't pack my rucksack right. Any suggestions?

What is it that you feel isn't "right"?  Too much kit, not enough, bringing your collection of Transformers?  The question is a little vague.  Are you speaking strictly about your medical kit and how to pack it?
Little more info from you is needed, and Wes is right, there is tonnes of info on this site.  Help yerself!

Rain gear at the top is generally a good idea. Or someplace just as accessible.

At least you are admitting you cant pack it right and asking for help.
Step one, ditch the wire hanger ruck and get a jumpable one.
Step two, wear it lots.  Use it lots.

Hey, I'll be honest. I'm not the best soldier (Scale 1-10 = 2). But I'm trying to get better...

Will you live out of your ruck, or just have the amb carry it as soft luggage?  Most rucks are soft luggage.  Maybe they see a BFT now and then, but 90% of rucks spend 99% of their time in a kit locker or behind the furnace in a basement, near the box of Chocolat Easter Weirdos (chocolat easter bunnies that got put too close to the wood stove). 

If your ruck is destines for a life of boredom, don't go spending two weeks pay on some after market gear with Barry Sadler's signature on it.  Unless you are into the whole LCF/Military Fashion Show thing, save your money.

If, however, your ruck is destined to spend more time outdoors than a moose, you may want to get some advice from those who have lived out of one.  Ask around in your unit for ideas.  Try a couple.  Use issue kit first to get a good idea of what it can REALLY do, not just the opinions of the local chairborne commandos.  at least then, if you later go "after market", you will know how much - or how little - improvement your money will be buying, as compared to what the taxpayers bought you.

A lot depends on body type.  When I was young, 5'10" and skinny, I absolutely HATED the Rucksack, Universal, C2  (the so-called 'jump ruck', erroneously called the 1964 ruck) , and would much rather carry a Cargo Pack 1964 - except in the winter.  I would still rather carry a 82 pattern Large Pack than a 'stock' C2 ruck - except in the winter - but it sounds like I am the only one in the Army who does.

Listen to others - then try it yourself, and base your decisions on your own experience.

Remember: It ain't just a fashion show.

Tom

I'm still amazed by the guys who can grab their rucks out of their locker and go on an ex then come home, clean it and put it away ready to go next time.

I've been in 10 years and I'm still playing with what to pack and bring.  For me it's always a mix of adding new gear, taking out old gear, what i'll most likely be doing on the ex, what tempature it is, what the kitlist of the month calls for.

army.ca is usually pretty great for advice, when you cut through the sarcasim ;)

In the Ruck
1 * combats (packed flat on the bottom of the ruck)
2 * T- shirts packed above the combats
2 * underwear packed along side the t-shirts
3 * socks 2 pairs packed above the t-shirts and one pair in a zip-lock in the top pocket
Rain gear pants in the radio pocket, and jacket in the outside left pocket
Gortex socks in the top pocket (replace the need for spear boots IMO)
NOTE: everything should be packed tightly leaving plenty of room for any extra kit

In Valise
sleeping bag inner w/ liner (in the bivi bag)
ground sheet
bug bar
gortex pants/jacket if desired
shave kit
NOTE: for longer then 72h place a complete change of combats in the valise

If done proper, it should give plenty of room for water, food, ammo, or other mission/personal kit

Hope this helps

My ruck is packed and ready to go at all times, as is my M83 SA Webbing too (shy of water in the camelbak).

Wes

"My ruck is packed and ready to go at all times, as is my M83 SA Webbing too (shy of water in the camelbak)."

- In my young and drinking days, I would bring a wineskin full of a very dry table red.  "Water?  You know how many kids in the third world die from drinking the water?  I don't drink water - fish fcuk in it."

;)

Tom

More advice; if you are going to pack everything, dont pack it all in the sleeping bag carrier; it shifts weight from your shoulders to your lower back.  Also, make sure the darn straps are tight as possible, so the sack doesnt drag on the ground like a sad sack 

Centurian1985 said:
More advice; if you are going to pack everything, dont pack it all in the sleeping bag carrier; it shifts weight from your shoulders to your lower back.  Also, make sure the darn straps are tight as possible, so the sack doesnt drag on the ground like a sad sack 

Another reason to use the 64 pattern (C2, jump ruck,....) that distributes the weight better.

"More advice; if you are going to pack everything, dont pack it all in the sleeping bag carrier; it shifts weight from your shoulders to your lower back."

- I seem to recall being taught that the weight belongs on the hips - better balance when skiing and snowshoeing, and easier on the back. Hence the belly band.

I pack the bare minimum to survive plus 2 luxery items for myself.

for me usually:

1 extra combats
1 extra t shirt / polypro
2 underwear
3 socks
my jacket
my smaller lighter thinsulate sleeping bad cleverly hidden inside my bivy
ground sheet
Hygene kit.

My 2 luxery items:

My matress because I like to be comfortable when I sleep.
A tin of gatorade and a water bottle because I'm addicted to orange gatorade.

I pack just enough that if i get soaked and am freezing to death I can change.

Back