• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to pack a rucksack

infantry: stupid,  if i dont got ammo/rats to carry, i'll put in some extra weight

Heh.... don't worry, your buddies will be adding rocks at every halt when you're not looking.  No need for plates.  Go low tech ;)

In my valise, I have 1 sleeping bag with liner (I think it's the inner part), ground sheet, basin, and bungees...seems to be standard.
In the main part I usually bring a couple pairs of socks, a fleece, a long john set and an extra uniform in case of extreme wetness to the other and my ablutions kit.

Its pretty tough to go lighter then that on a dismounted ex in Canada. You can cut mroe weight with non-issue gear, but what you have shouldn't be too much to handle. If I was going to go as light as I possibly could my ruck would probably look like this:

Softie Sleeper Lite bag, ranger blanket, bivi bag, bugbar, USGI poncho (with paracord) in the valise

socks, fleece top, t shirts and gitch, 1 set combat pants, and toque in the main compartment

raingear in the outside pockets, ridgerest strapped under valise

And if I had an unlimited budget, I'd also have sealskinz waterblocker socks and I'd replace the bugbar with a smaller headnet from the mec or something. If I was airforce I'd have CADPAT rain gear.  ;D

But with this in mind, I'd rather hump a bit more gear and be a bit more comfortable. The above kitlist will get you through cool, rainy nights in the summer. But once the temp starts getting close to zero you have to start looking at your combat jacket, parka shell, warm gloves, windpants, polypro, thermal rest, ect... I try and pack for just a little colder and a little wetter then I expect it to be.

I forgot to list my ridgerest...not that a ridgerest really adds any weight.

MikeL said:
Theres Army CADPAT Raingear now, all of us on TF 1-08 got it.

I'll highlight the important part of this post:

TF1-08 ...

Not the rest of the Army ... so all of you out there who are about to beat down the doors to your nearest Clothing Support Group tomorrow (ooops ... this morning here) morning, need not do so. Nor should you all start wondering where yours is ... for quite a while yet. It is not for general distribution.

Be guaranteed, that within a week there'll be a new thread on this site about "I heard it from a friend of a friend of mine that there was new Army Cadpat Raingear and some troops have gotten it already .... is that true?? And, if so, where's mine?"   ;)

ArmyVern said:
Be guaranteed, that within a week there'll be a new thread on this site about "I heard it from a friend of a friend of mine that there was new Army Cadpat Raingear and some troops have gotten it already .... is that true?? And, if so, where's mine?"  ;)

Hey! Those are some pretty good odds, if I was a betting man... wait I am a betting man! Where can I buy in to this!!!

I got the Desert CADPAT Raingear on TF 3-06 and I found it VERY effective.

The word for my unit is we can expect TW CADPAT Raingear in 16-18 months... but thats a long time and things change...

"How to pack a rucksack"

step one : gather kit
step two : open rucksack
step three : put kit into rucksack
step four : close rucksack

You're welcome  ;D

Step five:  place rucksack in car.
Step six:  drive to work.

;)

step seven: ask troop to gather rucksack from car
step eight: ask troop to transfer rucksack to G-Wagen
step nine: repeat step seven and eight once reach desired destination

:D

Step 10: Ask driver to go back and help you look for your kit.
Step 11: Ask driver to stop laughing.

Troop Step Seven: Key officers car
Troop Step Eight: Drag officers ruck through mud and or puddle and or spill canteen of water into in it.
Troop Step Nine: Repeat Step Eight at each desired destination or until Officer gets a clue....either way laughs had by all!

Disclaimer for Steps 7 through 9. Only do so if you have a good working relationship with your troops, and only do so if HitorMiss is NOT part of your LAV platoon, or your G-Wagen convoy.

He be a dangerous man!

Wonderbread said:
I got the Desert CADPAT Raingear on TF 3-06 and I found it VERY effective.

The word for my unit is we can expect TW CADPAT Raingear in 16-18 months... but thats a long time and things change...

Not to beat a dead horse on this one, but the US Marines were issued Gore-tex in 1983, and the British Army introduced 'Gary Gore-tex' to us in 1985. Of course, it rains and snows alot more in those countries than here, and Canadian soldiers don't sweat when they march in full ruck order, so that's understandable.  ;)

MedTech said:
and only do so if HitorMiss is NOT part of your LAV platoon, or your G-Wagen convoy.

He be a dangerous man!

Mostly to himself, and those in his immediate vicinity

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Mostly to himself, and those in his immediate vicinity

Doc if I wasn't so tired I would have something witty to say...... Sadly I more important things to waste energy on  ;)

CDN Aviator said:
Hes not dangerous anymore.....not since he was "hit" instead of "miss"-ed

Oh I am still dangerous just less so to the enemy it seems :D

I have a very simple prayer for the rucksac....."Thank you lord for the 64 pattern frame and straps" on a more earthly plane thank you rigger for the 64 straps and bag.

Had I not had that and packed it properly then adjusted it properly for the weight I think I would be in much rougher shape then I am now LOL.

Hey Doc, you walk slow eh  ;)

(Oh I will pay for that one....yes yes I will)

Back