• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How hard is SQ?

Ghostwalk, just for the record. I did do the 26 weeks straight of Cornwallis + PPCLI Battleschool prior to being posted to the patricias...
The old QL3 was not simply the SQ/BIQ stacked.. It was more in depth than those two course together. You spent alot more time doing the basics and focus on field training. The exercises later on in the course went from Monday morning until friday afternoon.
I am fully aware of what SQ qualifies people to do. It gives them basic soldiering skills ("an introduction to infantry skills at the section level").

Well, I hope I didn't come off sounding like I doubted your experience.

I just wanted to make clear that the 6 week SQ was never meant to replace the entire QL3. Whether or not the SQ and BIQ combined can produce the same quality soldier as the Battleschool is a different discussion altogether - a discussion that I know would be way over my head.

Cheers.

So, what's up with these SQ dates. The CFRC says it's a 10 week course, yet I keep seeing it as 6 week here. I thought the 6 week may be a Reserve version course, but some of my friends in the Pats said they too had a 6 week.. So, I'm confused now... Is it 6 or 10 weeks for the Reg force? Or does it just depend upon other things like how busy the schedule may be, number of platoons going through, funding, etc etc that kinda stuff?

If you spend a couple of weeks in holding prior to course start date then yes it ends up sort of like 10 weeks. The SQ is still evolving.
We took out Comms now their back in, etc, etc..
When you start and you actually do the course then you will find out.  Ghostwalk, I know you weren't doubting my expirience, cheers on that..
Yes you are right the current SQ does'nt even come close to the SQ and BIQ or QL3 Infantry.
It does give the other trades alot more field time than what they had before..

I didn't like SQ much, janitor by night weapons handler by day... avg 4 hour of sleep a night because we had to clean so damn much. Go to sleep at 1200 wake up at 0400 for pt. Fitness wise I thought it was a joke, way below what we did on our BMQ. BIQ on the other hand was grate, we were treated like soldiers, learned shit loads of new things and it was challenging. PT was challenging on BIQ too, we ran 7km every morning or did circuit training, lots of push ups and all that good stuff. Also spent lots of time in the field... Best time I've had in the army. Guess it all depends on your staff though, on our BIQ course we learned a tone of extra stuff, we were shown what plants you can eat in the field and all shorts of survival skills. My buddies that went on the course after us didn't learn or do half the things we did

Why didn't your buddies learn all that cool stuff? Did the commander change or did they just change the program?

As I said it all depends on the staff, they did the exact same course but with different staff.

That's unfortunate.. I would be extremely disappointed if my course were not taught things like what sort of plants are edible in the field and the like. Not only is it fun to learn/know but it should be mandatory to teach as basic survival knowledge.

That's unfortunate.. I would be extremely disappointed if my course were not taught things like what sort of plants are edible in the field and the like. Not only is it fun to learn/know but it should be mandatory to teach as basic survival knowledge.

Well, seeing as when you go "in the field" you'll have either enough food+water for 1-3 days, max being 3 (A LOT of kit I imagine), we're probably not taught any real "survival" training other than hygene in a tent... Don't quote me though, I am certainly no expert and haven't done ANY courses yet! I agree with you it that basic survival skills should be mandatory and was dissapointed when my buddy who is an artillery guy, said they weren't taught any really. He said obviously his courses might have differed a bit because he's not Infantry but still...

As I said it all depends on the staff, they did the exact same course but with different staff.

This seems to be what makes or breaks the level of the course from what I gather. I'm sure when we're all on our first few courses we won't worry too much about what ELSE we'll be learning anyway. Probably going to be DAMN plenty!!!

PS>
Anyone know if there is any "Survival" type courses you can take? I know there's the different terrain courses, Mountain, Desert, Arctic, etc etc etc. And some of them have been cut a couple years ago, but any general survival courses we get in the Infantry?

Joe  :warstory:

there are actually survival based courses in the military you just have to ask to get on one of the courses. And of course not just anyone is going to be allowed to get on that training, Its trade specific i believe. I believe pilots and navigators, are mandatory students of the course but i could be wrong. There is an episode of TDV on about the course.

CFN. Orange said:
there are actually survival based courses in the military you just have to ask to get on one of the courses. And of course not just anyone is going to be allowed to get on that training, Its trade specific i believe. I believe pilots and navigators, are mandatory students of the course but i could be wrong. There is an episode of TDV on about the course.

TDV was on the advanced SERE (survival, evasion, resistance and escape) course.   Before you get there you have to do the...you guessed it...basic SERE.   The basic course is manditory for all aircrews (Pilot, Navigator, Flight engineer, Airborne electronic sensor operator, AC Op ( only those employed on AWACS), etc...).   There are not many serials run each year and its usualy aircrew only ( with very occasional exceptions).

There are not many serials run each year and its usualy aircrew only ( with very occasional exceptions).

Well that sucks...  :(

O-well, maybe after 3-5 yrs in, Corporal and I do my shit right I can get a chance at it. But if REG force Infantry doesn't usually even get to have a shot at it I highly doubt they'd consider Reserve Infantry. Guess I'll have to hurry up and wait! :P

I remember reading an article that JTF2 guys in Afganistan lived up in the mountains apparently without support or supplies for weeks on end. THEY must have had some survival training I imagine... For once, I am jealous of those guys finally.  :-\

JTF is the pride and joy of our armed forces.If any kind of military objective that is achievable by human beings, they can do it.

jmackenzie_15 said:
JTF is the pride and joy of our armed forces.If any kind of military objective that is achievable by human beings, they can do it.

Well I wouldn't quite put it that way... They are a part of the overall military force just like every other part...  You couldn't just have a military of specops, imo... and claim to be able to "meet any kind of military objective"....

On the other hand, they are quite capable troops, and definitely train on a lot of things many of us will never even know about.

Your first few weeks of the SQ is weapons trg, perswpns handling tests,  LMG and GPMG and grenades, interspersed with the ranges and PWT 2 on the SQ i believe. To answer your other questions, you're bloody right on the field ex you will dig trenches, NAV by day and night and with PLGR's, section attacks and basic def and off ops and patrolling, if you're looking for war games i'm sorry but you'll be somewhat disappointed to learn that it's only as much a 'game' as your course staff and OPFOR make it. Keep your #$% together and work as a team with your buddies, it is as hard as you make it, and whether you're doing your course in Wainwright or Meaford, have fun it's the winter. My friend Ghostwalk is right keep positive and enjoy your course... ahahahha (forgive the evil laugh)

Fraz I couldn't agree more. As someone who has taught on a couple of SQ courses so far with another in 2 weeks, the best way to prepare is to maintain a positive attitude! Your instructors will teach you what you need to know and it will then be up to you to execute the drills.
If you go into the course with a pissy, whiny attitude we as instructors will pick that up in a heartbeat and exploit it to our full advantage! >:D
The last one I taught I had a female candidate who had no knowledge of weapons or the field when we started, and by the end of the course if we still honored top candidates she would have been it. She did this by maintaining a positive attitude, listening, and doing what she was told better than others on the course who had reserve infantry time! :threat:
Myself being infantry was obviously less than thrilled with the knowledge level of my reserve infantry troops! :rage:

2 Cdo said:
Fraz I couldn't agree more. As someone who has taught on a couple of SQ courses so far with another in 2 weeks, the best way to prepare is to maintain a positive attitude! Your instructors will teach you what you need to know and it will then be up to you to execute the drills.
If you go into the course with a pissy, whiny attitude we as instructors will pick that up in a heartbeat and exploit it to our full advantage! >:D
The last one I taught I had a female candidate who had no knowledge of weapons or the field when we started, and by the end of the course if we still honored top candidates she would have been it. She did this by maintaining a positive attitude, listening, and doing what she was told better than others on the course who had reserve infantry time! :threat:
Myself being infantry was obviously less than thrilled with the knowledge level of my reserve infantry troops! :rage:

To the defence of reserve infantrymen, Id like to point out something if I may.I have no idea how it is in other reserve infantry units other than my own, but in mine,95% of the really good troops that attempt to go regforce, and I mean like, the best ones we have, get a screw job and never end up going anywhere for at least a year or two, if at all.And on the other hand, the really useless, clueless and otherwise would be better as a Fig11 soldiers, are always gone off to regs in a matter of months. An example of this, one guy we had went to the navy to be a cook, and he was absolutely... well, you know what I mean.Would wear other people's combat jackets and not know it etc.Once he took his DEUs into the armories in a suitcase.All of it, in a suitcase.And another guy we had, probobly one of the best soldiers ive ever met and had the good fortune of having being taught by, attempted to go regforce infantry for /two years/, before he eventually got angry enough that he just quit and joined the RCMP.Another good soldier we have is trying to get into the air force, for over a year now, while another guy who just finished his BIQ this past summer, just went regforce armored.

But like I said, i dunno how other units operate, but around here it seems as though the brass wont let go of the good troops we have, but dont hesitate in giving up some confused backwards people.I can sort of understand really, if the unit had trained someone and spent all of their money on him just to have him (or her) go regforce and leave them, well I would feel as if it was all kinda defeating the purpose.Theres alot of politics that go on around the offices in the CF it seems.

Just my two cents.

Back