• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How hard is SQ?

Reg or res? i did the 1 month res course, it was a blast. It was a huge change from BMQ, it went from alot of class stuff, to all weapons. It is only as hard as you make it, if you put effort into rememebring your drills, then its all good.

get a good routine going, do everything in the same order.
It helps make sure you get everything done and it makes it alot easier.

paracowboy said:
I can't even begin to explain how wrong the attitude in that question is.
Well please tell me, I personally don't see whats wrong with my question. Other than its a bit vague

Sounds to me like it may not be a matter of how "hard" it may be per se, but how "challenging" it may be.. Just a stab in the dark. I think I may know what he is hinting at.

Well please tell me, I personally don't see whats wrong with my question. Other than its a bit vague

All you're doing is giving yourself reasons to quit before you've even started. Honestly, what does a question like that gain you? You should be asking "What can I do to prepare for my SQ?". Losers dwell on the negative, winners find the positive. Like Paracowboy said, its the wrong attitude.

Believe it or not, its a BIG freak'n deal.

Hey, now that the opportunity is here, and Ghostwalk you seem to know your stuff here, I want to ask what I can do to prepare for SQ.

I got four months to prepare, before I go on basic (hopefully) so that will help with the PT on that course, but until then..

I'm doing 40 min of weight training each morning, one bodypart on each day (arms supersetted on Friday tho to allow Sunday rest)

And in the afternoon, I do running. I am.. not a great runner right now (13 min for 2.4km) quite shameful I know, but I am hoping that this four months will let me get up to superior level.

That's what I am doing .. is there anything else I should do? How many km should I aim for to do well in SQ and (hopefully) my infantry QL3? Anything else would be appreciated! I don't want to be wasting my time, as this four months can make or break me.

Ghostwalk you seem to know your stuff here,

Woah... before you start blowing smoke up my ass, I'll point that that I'm only a no-hook private who's way to outspoken for his own good. Just because I try to help, doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about. For all you know I'm a 40 year old transvestite who reads too much Tom Clancy, right? This is the internet, after all, so take everything with a grain of salt.

As for your question about physical fitness, I'd keep on doing what your doing and try not to stress over it. In my own opinion, anyone with the drive to go out and train hard on their own on a regular basis will pass infantry training. Living with a "go get 'em!!" attitude and a consistant effort at improving your physical condition is far more important then actually being in excellant shape. Again, its all about attitude. Those with a bad attitude will fail, and those with a good attitude will be brought up to standard by the end of the course regardless.

They will be brought up to course standard?

So, assuming that you run say.. 6-7km (as my patricia friends have told me) in the QL3, and I could only run... say five, I won't be immediately dismissed as long as I keep my head up and attitude positive and keep plugging away at it?

Gouki said:
I'm doing 40 min of weight training each morning, one bodypart on each day (arms supersetted on Friday tho to allow Sunday rest)

And in the afternoon, I do running. I am.. not a great runner right now (13 min for 2.4km) quite shameful I know, but I am hoping that this four months will let me get up to superior level.

That's what I am doing .. is there anything else I should do? How many km should I aim for to do well in SQ and (hopefully) my infantry QL3? Anything else would be appreciated! I don't want to be wasting my time, as this four months can make or break me.
while I am an avocate of weight training, right now, it's not your most pressing concern. Never mind isolation exercises. You need a strong core. I recommend push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups. For two reasons: 1) they work the entire body, and 2) these are the movements you will be performing for the rest of your career.
Push-ups: you want to be able to pump off a set of 50 at any time. With PERFECT form. Arms bent at 90 degrees on the downstroke, back and ass level. Arms fully locked out at the top. That's one. Anything less than perfect form don't count.
Sit-ups: you want to be able to pump off a set of 50 at any time. With PERFECT form. Arms bent, knees bent, shoulder blades touching the floor. On the Up-stroke, elbows touch the knees. Hands don't leave the SIDES of the head, hips don't leave the floor.
Pull-ups: grip bar with an overhand grasp and hang. Arms fully extended. Pull up until the clavicle is level with the bar. Pause. Lower to full extension. Go for 7.

Once these movements become easy, add some twists to them. Push-ups: change the spacing of your hands. Move them in until your fingers and thumbs form a diamond. Move them out to twice shoulder width. Move one up to level with your ear, and leave the other at your normal position, then alternate. When you can perform a set of 50 normal, then sets of 25 of each of the others, go back to weights. At this point, your aerobicizing.
Sit-ups: once you can perform 50 properly, remove any foot support, and do them with nothing holding your feet down. Then incorporate crunches, bridges, and leg-raises.
Pull-ups: start doing sets of chins after you pull-ups. Do a set of pull-ups to failure, then immediately switch grips to underhand and do chins, then move the hands in, until the pinkie fingers are 6 inches apart. When you can do several sets of these, add weight.

Running: you need to build an aerobic base. A program that works for me is a 4 day one. Day one is all about time. I run for an hour and a half. I don't care about distance, only time. Day two is sprints. Find a known distance (football fields are excellent). Sprint for 50 meters, jog for 50. Do this for 40 minutes. Increase the distance you sprint and decrease the distance you jog, until you sprint for 100, jog for 50. Day three is hills. Day four is off.

I suggest these movements because they will work the entire body and they will give you the muscle memory you need for your chosen profession. You need to perform these movements every day when in the infantry, so train the body to do them, and do them RIGHT.

I won't give you any advice on ruckmarching because everybody needs to learn about that as part of their Basic training. Wouldn't want to cheat you out of the experience.

If you boys find that these ideas don't challenge you, get back to me via PM, and I'll come up with something appropriately sadistic.

Wow, what you do running wise sounds close to mine.. I didn't want to post what I do because it would take up space but now I'll say what it is specifically:

I already don't do isolation exercises don't worry, I do compound movements. I don't care about looking pretty, I care about my muscles being strong and working as a group. Hence, I don't do things like say... concentration curls for biceps and things like that. I try to stick to the basic barbells and dumbells and the tried, tested and true methods and the big movements than the smaller ones which tend to focus only on one muscle.

With running, I do a 2.4km run on Moday, Wednesday and Thursday, and try to beat my previous time more and more each time. Once I get a superior time rating, I plan on increasing the distance to 3km, and keep progressing that way. On Tuesday, I do 2 x 400m and 1x800 fast runs, I try to make the 400m in 2:11 minutes for example. I'm trying to get the muscles in my leg accustomed to running at a certain speed to make a certain time in my 5km run... which is exactly what you said - muscle memory. On Friday, I do a 25 min progression run which I won't bother to explain as it sounds like you already know what that may be.

I do want to incorporate two of your ideas however, the hill running and the sprint idea (the 50m/50m idea) I really like that.. a lot. I think I am going to change the friday progression run to just that in fact, However, the hill running I cannot do... I live in Shilo..there is only one man made hill here for many, many kilometres. What would you recommend here - the treadmill?

btw, every sunday I will do as many pushups as I can. With my weight training, I find that every sunday I am capable of a bit more, so far it's been steadily increasing (at 33 right now, was at 25 3 weeks ago). But, I am thinking of somehow working pushups into a daily basis, I just haven't found a suitable method yet (perhaps xx amount when I wake up in the morning?)

The sooner you try it, the sooner you will find out !
"Do or Do not, their is no try"
Yoda
Master Jedi Instructor
867 years

Ghostwalk said:
All you're doing is giving yourself reasons to quit before you've even started. Honestly, what does a question like that gain you? You should be asking "What can I do to prepare for my SQ?". Losers dwell on the negative, winners find the positive. Like Paracowboy said, its the wrong attitude.

Believe it or not, its a BIG freak'n deal.
Oh. Ok. I see and I understand what your saying. I do intend to pass SQ. I just wanted to know what kind of things you do and and how you handle those situations. Actually I'm being a bit vague there also. Do you do weapons training and in the field stuff like digging trenches and how to conceal yourself. Do you work as a team with your fellow soldiers? Do you play war games war games?  I have done research and all the sites I went to didn't cover this stuff.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind knowing either. I read the course outline but naturally to someone like me who hasn't experienced anything close to infantry can't make heads or tails of it.. Then again, perhaps not knowing is part of the fun and experience..

ArmyRick said:
The sooner you try it, the sooner you will find out !
"Do or Do not, their is no try"
Yoda
Master Jedi Instructor
867 years

*cough* *cough* nerd *cough* *cough

nah, just ribbin ya  ;D

The first part of the SQ is mostly classes, PT and inspections. You'll do a number of tests on the different weapons and fieldcraft, as well as a Battle Fitness Test, and a Company Commander's inspection. The weapons you learn will be fired live as well. Your field portion is divided into 2 main exercises, plus a short "intro to the field" type ex. The 2 main ones are your offensive exercise, where you learn section attacks and section level patrolling and your defensive exercise where you dig trenches, and defend them. Expect to be doing "sleep deprivation training" throughout those 2 weeks. A high level of teamwork will be expected throughout. In my opinion, the SQ is the penance you pay before you do your BIQ and have some real fun.

Check out the infantry FAQ on this forum for more information.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/21131.0.html

SQ is hard work but loads of fun. Its challenging but it does build character. Man up and try it out.......  I kind of wonder why the individuals who show up their cry, whine and then want out? VR and OT are common phrases in Meaford these days. Too bad. The bloody course is like 6-7 weeks at most.
The old QL3 Infantry was 16 weeks... That was usually immediately after 10 weeks at Wally world (Cornwallis, another place I have fond memories of..

The bloody course is like 6-7 weeks at most.
The old QL3 Infantry was 16 weeks... That was usually immediately after 10 weeks at Wally world

For the record, a 6 week SQ does not qualify anyone to be an infanteer. There is a 10 week BIQ that follows right after. When most guys talk about their "battleschool" (the term is used loosly these days, considering the actual RCR Battleschool was disbanded in 1996), they refer to the  combined 16 weeks of SQ and BIQ.

Sorry for that bit of hijacking, I just wanted to clarify the situation.

Back