• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Do Liberal MPs Feel About Dion Attacking Them?

Looks like the good ship Liberal is springing some leaks.....gee that's soooo sad.
This on CTV shared with the usual disclaimers

Liberal infighting shows panic over byelection

Political analyst and former Liberal MP Jean Lapierre appears on CTV's 'Question Period' on Sunday, Sept. 16, 2007.

Marcel Proulx, Liberal Leader Stephane Dion's Quebec lieutenant, on CTV's 'Question Period' on Sunday, Sept. 16, 2007.

Joel-Denis Bellavance on CTV's 'Question Period' on Sunday, Sept. 16, 2007.

CTV.ca News Staff

Updated: Sun. Sep. 16 2007 7:56 PM ET

Some in the Liberal camp may be anticipating defeat in the Outremont byelection in Quebec if a mischief-making article is any indication, says the riding's former Liberal MP.

Jean Lapierre told CTV's Question Period on Sunday that the Halifax Chronicle-Herald news story on Saturday blaming Michael Ignatieff for not helping enough has to come from Liberal Leader Stephane Dion's people.

The allegation suggests Dion's supporters fear Ignatieff is trying to undermine the Liberal leader, to raise his own stature within the party.

A sample quote from the article about what the Dion people saw as organizationally questionable decisions: "'There's one of two options,' said one source close to Mr. Dion. 'There's some folks there who are either grossly incompetent or intentionally malicious'."

Lapierre shook his head at the accusation. "That's incredible. That's what I would call a pre-emptive strike," he said. "But it's total fabrication."

The Liberals "have never had so much help from Liberal stars," including Ignatieff, said Lapierre, who stepped down in late January to become a political analyst for the TVA network in Quebec.

"Mr. Dion has spent at least seven days in the riding. He's still there today. I don't think they can blame it on anybody else. Everybody has been a good trouper in this one."

This article has hurt the morale of organizers in the riding, he said. They wonder "who was so crazy to spin something like this," he said.

Marcel Proulx, Dion's Quebec lieutenant, told Question Period that Ignatieff has been involved in Outremont.

"Last Sunday, he was in Outremont" doing canvassing, he said. Ignatieff's main organizers in Quebec -- MPs Denis Coderre and Pablo Rodriguez -- have been involved in the Outremont fight.

"We're very satisfied with everybody's involvement and everybody's good work in these ridings," Proulx said.

The Liberals do appear to be in trouble in the riding, which they have held almost continuously since 1935.

Lapierre noted the Liberals held the riding in 2004 and 2006, at the height of the sponsorship fallout.

A Unimarket poll for La Presse released Friday gives star NDP candidate Thomas Mulcair -- a former provincial Liberal environment minister -- a 38 per cent to 32 per cent lead over Liberal candidate Jocelyn Coulon.

Both the Liberals and NDP are pouring outside workers into the riding in advance of Monday's vote, one of three byelections to be held in Quebec.

The Liberals are down only three percentage points from the party's vote share in the 2006 federal election.

Where the NDP appears to be gaining is from Bloc Quebecois supporters. The poll found that 40 per cent of BQ supporters said they would switch their vote to the NDP.

The Bloc is polling at 14 per cent, putting it in third place. But in 2006, the party captured about 29 per cent of the vote in Outremont. The NDP only captured 17 per cent in that election.

Lapierre said that might be intentional, with the Bloc hoping to damage the Liberals.

However, the poll also found the electorate to be in flux, with 43 per cent saying they could yet shift their vote again on Monday.

Lapierre said a Liberal organizer in Outremont told him the party could still win the riding by 700 votes if they get their supporters to the polls.

In comparison, the NDP has no organization in Outremont and the outcome may come down to organizational strength, he said.

Lapierre pronounced the riding too close to call.

Joel-Denis Bellavance, Ottawa bureau chief for La Presse, told Question Period that he's heard the NDP will import 500 workers into the riding on Monday to help get that party's vote out.

In byelections, people tend to vote more for the candidate than the party, he added.

The governing Conservatives are running fifth in Outremont with seven per cent support -- one point behind the Green party.

Sen. Michael Fortier, Prime Minister Stephen Harper's public works minister who lives in the riding and does not have a seat in the House of Commons, chose not to run in the byelection.

The Tories do appear competitive in Roberval-Lac St. Jean -- which has been a Bloc Quebecois stronghold. The poll gave the party 43 per cent support, six percentage points more than the BQ.

Lapierre said the Tory candidate there is utilizing the strength of his municipal organization. "The Tories have no organization after 18 months in power," he said.

The third byelection is in Saint Hyacinthe-Bagot. The Bloc appears positioned to hold that seat.

The Liberals are not competitive in either of those ridings, if the poll is accurate.

GAP said:
Dion voted against the extension to the Afghan mission last session and is critical of Liberal interim leader Bill Graham for voting with the government. "I think our party made a big mistake. Our role is not to trust the government because they are giving you a briefing. You are not a minister any more. Our role is to check the government. We are in the Opposition. Wake up guys!" (National Post, June 30, 2006)
So, Dion's position is that the Official Opposition is to blindly oppose everything from the government regardless of merit?

...Our role is not to trust the government because they are giving you a briefing....

Wow!  And yet, Dion is content, not having visited Afghanistan himself, to heed the advice of briefers to decry the mission in Afghanistan -- at the very least, he should feel morally obligated to visit Afghanistan and speak to Afghan politicians and citizens...

Good2Golf said:
Wow!  And yet, Dion is content, not having visited Afghanistan himself, to heed the advice of briefers to decry the mission in Afghanistan -- at the very least, he should feel morally obligated to visit Afghanistan and speak to Afghan politicians and citizens...

Ditto!
+1

I hope he goes and gets briefed to the edge of his sanity.

Lets be serious here. He knows that IF he does go to Afghanistan, he WILL see the good of the mission, and won't be able to ignore it.

Thats one HUGE if. So he won't be going any tiem soon...

MCG said:
So, Dion's position is that the Official Opposition is to blindly oppose everything from the government regardless of merit?

It would appear so.  What an idjit.

mr dion,,
              you make me sick.....
              please read the following attachment  and respond :
              leigh111655@yahoo.com

I think the voters of Quebec sent M. Dion a pretty loud message last night.......NDP victory in a safe Liberal riding, Tory win in Roberval and the Bloc won the other one. The Liberals now have their lowest seat count in the province of Que since confederation....do you think that is lost on the Liberal brain trust. M. Dion is toast and it looks good on him. We won't have to worry about him visiting Afghanistan and bothering our troops for whom he has little or no respect. He'll be lucky if the party fund a trip to the next convention. ;) ;)

IHS,  You have to consider that Mr Mulclair is a provincial politician who is/was very popular as an MLA.  The bunfight & his resignation on a matter of principal (environment) were popular issues.  His election in Outremont is probably more a case of his popularity over all other candidates than anything else.  That having been said, Mr Dion is extremely unpopular for his continuous Flip-Flops.  The Liberal party is rudderless and Mr Dion should do himself (and everyone else) a favour.... RESIGN & open up the debate on finding a new & better leader & establish a strong platform upon which the party and it's leader can stand behind.

Everybody clamoring for Dion to resign and let Ignatieff and/or Rae win, seems to forget two things

1. There is a very real likelyhood of being opposition leader for a minimum of 4-5 years

2. The B-Team that ran in the last leadership race is BROKE AND IN DEBT.

GAP said:
Everybody clamoring for Dion to resign and let Ignatieff and/or Rae win, seems to forget two things

1. There is a very real likelyhood of being opposition leader for a minimum of 4-5 years

2. The B-Team that ran in the last leadership race is BROKE AND IN DEBT.

The Conservatives were in the same boat & still manager to keep their's afloat - till Mr Harper came around

Yeah, but with the change in donation rules, the Liberals do not have the grassroots base the Conservatives have.

In the past they (liberals) depended mainly on large corporate donations, and now, because of the rules and lack of interest the $$ are not coming in.

GAP,  I would contend that the Liberals do (or could) have a wide enough grassroots base.  But with the flip-flops and irrational behavior displayed by it's fearless leader.... the purse strings have been pulled tight.

Now, for use next month, would be a great time to lard the Throne Speech with items which will split the Liberals - specifically to remain in Afghanistan in a (modified - more/closer coop with ANA) combat role and greater decentralization/less federal intrusion into provincial matters.

The Liberals are broke and adrift. The BQ fears a general election. Harper can propose several popular items and be, relatively assured of getting them past parliament. The only effective opposition is Danny Williams and Jack Layton: Tweedledum and Tweedledumber.

Ed, "Fraid so"

Think that Mr Harper was counting on this when he decided to delay the fall session of the house.

With McCay at Defence, this is the time to give our Afghanistan mission a "new look" and present it to the house.
other than the NDP, I don't see a vote of non confidence to a mission that is axed on supporting the forming of the ANA instead of fighting the TB while the ANA gets its act together.

Guys, this is all predicated on the basic fact that, no matter what the MSM, politicians and others with agenda's spout, the ANA and the ANP will NOT be able to handle the security by themselves.....we are probably talking years here.

Thus whatever is envisioned is simply a veneer for what we will continue to do.....provide security. Without that, nothing else happens.

I doubt that any (many?) parliamentarians, including Stephen Harper, care much (if at all) about the success or failure of the Afghan mission. They all want to use the mission and the soldiers to secure their own domestic, petty, partisan political victories.

I suspect that IF Harper uses the Afghan mission for his own domestic, partisan purposes - to embarrass the Liberals an BQ by making them vote for an extension of the combat force (as I hope he does) - it will be easy enough for the bureaucrats (civil and military) to manage the mission as they see fit.

We (they, actually: the guys and gals in uniform, up to and including Rick Hillier) are props on the political stage.

I think the voters of Quebec sent M. Dion a pretty loud message last night.......NDP victory in a safe Liberal riding, Tory win in Roberval and the Bloc won the other one. The Liberals now have their lowest seat count in the province of Que since confederation....

For my money - Dion's exactly the right guy for his job.  ;D

Note: - Before you hit that "demote"  button That was sarcasm.

Actually ER - I respectfully disagree. _ I believe Harper and many MPs care about the Afghan mission.
I also believe that those MPs see rebuilding the military as a valuable undertaking.

That said - I have to acknowledge that I've never been victimized like you people in the military
by a sitting government.

geo said:
IHS,  You have to consider that Mr Mulclair is a provincial politician who is/was very popular as an MLA.  The bunfight & his resignation on a matter of principal (environment) were popular issues.  His election in Outremont is probably more a case of his popularity over all other candidates than anything else.  That having been said, Mr Dion is extremely unpopular for his continuous Flip-Flops.  The Liberal party is rudderless and Mr Dion should do himself (and everyone else) a favour.... RESIGN & open up the debate on finding a new & better leader & establish a strong platform upon which the party and it's leader can stand behind.

I agree that several factors aligned to make this defeat possible but there was a time when it didn't matter who you ran in this riding as long as you tied a red ribbon around his neck and told them he was a loyal follower of the Liberal party he was a shoe in. It was a stroke of genuis by the NDP to get Mulclair on side.

Back