• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Help >.. Restricted and prohbited weapons

In the olden days, a gun was a tool.  Open the tool shed out at the log cabin: rake, shovel, grass whip, twelve guage, pick.  I go to my uncles cabin: loaded .303 in the outhouse (bear country).  People respected and learned to use guns safely just like a chainsaw.

Nowadays, people have been encouraged to avoid firearms as youth.  They are not inculcated with our true "Gun Culture": that of hunting, trap shooting, and so on.  As a result, they lack the respectful familiarity with firearms that growing up in a gun-owning house engendered.  Notice I say 'familiarity' not proficiency.  Familiarity, respect, and responsibility are the pillars of training to proficiency, so even if we were not good with guns, we were good enough not to abuse our rights and or our fellow citizens.

Today, that cultural vacuum regarding firearms has resulted in not only members of the armed forces being poor handlers, but just about every cop in the country as well.  We have an epidemic of NDs.

As well, culture abhors a vacuum.  Our Canadian gun culture has been replaced with a Kingston/Compton/Ho Chi Minh City Gagsta Rap Gun Culture, which is about as Canadian as the rings around Saturn.  By such people are we now judged, and even the cops can't tell the difference anymore.

Of course, our bean-counter mentallity of 'training to need' and cost accounting anything of value does little to help.  Power points and videos are no substitute for actual marksmanship training.

LIVE AMMO CHANGES EVERYTHING.

No simulator can ever make up for that.

Tom

Tom's absolutely correct.  Taking firearms out of the cadet programme, cutting back on live firing... There is a price to be paid for trying to destroy our firearm culture.

There are many intended and unintended consequences to what is going on with gun control in this country and others...

TCBF said:
In the olden days, a gun was a tool.   Open the tool shed out at the log cabin: rake, shovel, grass whip, twelve guage, pick.   I go to my uncles cabin: loaded .303 in the outhouse (bear country).   People respected and learned to use guns safely just like a chainsaw.

Nowadays, people have been encouraged to avoid firearms as youth.   They are not inculcated with our true "Gun Culture": that of hunting, trap shooting, and so on.   As a result, they lack the respectful familiarity with firearms that growing up in a gun-owning house engendered.   Notice I say 'familiarity' not proficiency.   Familiarity, respect, and responsibility are the pillars of training to proficiency, so even if we were not good with guns, we were good enough not to abuse our rights and or our fellow citizens.

Today, that cultural vacuum regarding firearms has resulted in not only members of the armed forces being poor handlers, but just about every cop in the country as well.   We have an epidemic of NDs.

As well, culture abhors a vacuum.   Our Canadian gun culture has been replaced with a Kingston/Compton/Ho Chi Minh City Gagsta Rap Gun Culture, which is about as Canadian as the rings around Saturn.   By such people are we now judged, and even the cops can't tell the difference anymore.

Of course, our bean-counter mentallity of 'training to need' and cost accounting anything of value does little to help.   Power points and videos are no substitute for actual marksmanship training.

LIVE AMMO CHANGES EVERYTHING.

No simulator can ever make up for that.

Tom

My family came to Canada in the April of 64 from England when I was 12 and we all know how strict British gun laws are.
Our first Christmas here I was given a bolt action single shot 22,I was in 7th heaven but both my brother and me got a rude awaking from our father.
First off he showed us what damage even a 22 could do and then proceded to teach us weapons safety
then how to shoot.The next Christmas I got a semi auto 22 and my brother got my bolt action.
We would go outside Edmonton,dad would knock on a farmers door ask permission to shoot on his land and we had loads of fun just target shooting at tin cans,home made targets as it turned out mum was the best shot of us all.

Out side of those two weapons I did own a 303 sport jungle carbine sans flash eliminator which kicked like a mule. :o.But as you say Tom the old ethics of growing up with rifles,shot guns etc. is no longer the norm except on the farm and is seen as evil.
When I was in 6Fd I used to volunteer to drive the Cadets up to Squamish for thier range weekend with the Units F.N.'s and I coached and taught weapons safety and had a great time with the kids,funny as hell watching them as the old C1 kicked  ;D many a cadet came away with the odd black eye. ::) ;D

I don't hunt and now no longer own my 303 due to the stupid laws as many friends no longer do also.
We used to have a Boxing Day Shoot with wives and girl friends,we had everything from 22 to 44 mag. and we had great day shooting each others weapons and the local Mounties would come by and even have a go and this was before all these archaic laws came in.

Yup the old norm of owning a rilfle just for sport shooting and teaching your kids is gone.
A sad day for Canada

Spr.Earl said:
Yup the old norm of owning a rilfle just for sport shooting and teaching your kids is gone.
A sad day for Canada

You really should consider purchasing a cabin here in Newfoundland. There are laws to be enforced, but basically, if you're 1km away from any dwelling... which isn't very hard to acomplish, you can fire away!

I have carried the gun since I was 12. By 'the gun' I mean an assortment of non-restricted firearms. A great pass-time/hobby.

"Unintended Consequences"  I read the book in 95/96.  I read "B-Zone" last year.

Tom

ah yes B-Zone (my bad I said A zone) Al Voth - also has Mandatory Reload and a third one coming out.

I don't think so, as long as it adheres to the proper barrel length and shell capacity.

I'm speaking just the pistol grip not the full stock, like a fire from the hip weapon
were camping in bear country we don't want to be borrowing anything thats illegal

Oh, I thought it had a pistol grip with a stock, like the ones S.W.A.T uses. Therefore, asked Dad, he says yes, it's restricted.

ya thats what I thought but if anyone has the site I can get a clear answer from I looked on the firearms site but I don't know what I A sieres or B sieres shotgun is

It has to have a stock, or it can be an easily concealed weapon. If you notice, all non-restricted firearms have stocks.

gun questions? Look here: http://canadiangunnutz.com/

use the Search feature there. It prob'ly has every answer on gun stuff in Canada.
Or KevB will be along, eventually. Same thing.

Back