• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

• Thread starter Thread starter McG
  • Start date Start date
Well I think one can give the Israelis a little more latitude to think how they do, given there have been world wide threats against Jews now, and the whole ‘minor issue’ of Genocide is still fairly fresh in their minds…
Once again, the Genocide occurred to ~6 million individuals living across Europe who had Jewish heritage, and it was a horrible thing. Everything since 1948 has been directed against the state of Israel. Even the Munich Olympics attack in 1972 was against the Israeli Olympic team, not against any other Jewish persons. How many other targeted attacks have been made against Jewish individuals around the world, who were not Israeli? I don't have an issue with Israel attacking other states to protect them as a nation, just not when it is done in the defense of the Jewish faith.

The US didn't attack Afghanistan because they were Muslim, or because they were protecting the Christian faith, they were protecting the nation.

Once again, the Genocide occurred to ~6 million individuals living across Europe who had Jewish heritage, and it was a horrible thing. Everything since 1948 has been directed against the state of Israel. Even the Munich Olympics attack in 1972 was against the Israeli Olympic team, not against any other Jewish persons. How many other targeted attacks have been made against Jewish individuals around the world, who were not Israeli? I don't have an issue with Israel attacking other states to protect them as a nation, just not when it is done in the defense of the Jewish faith.

The US didn't attack Afghanistan because they were Muslim, or because they were protecting the Christian faith, they were protecting the nation.

Flip side: if Israel was not full of Jews, its Arab neighbours would not want to cleanse it “from the river to the sea”. Israel explicitly exists to be the only country in which the Jewish people can be masters of their own defense and protection, and the threat they face is, literally, existential.

Like you, I reject that criticism of the state of Israel and its policies must necessarily be equated with antisemitism. Criticism of the state and its policies can absolutely be valid.

However, antisemitism can and does underlie a lot of the criticism of Israel the country, and is leveraged heavily by those who wish to extinguish the Jews as a people.

In any meaningful discussion about Israel/Gaza/the region, we need to be real about this. Israel exists under constant threat to its very existence, and we saw on October 7th just what a lot of Israel’s enemies are willing to do to any member of Israel’s Jewish population if they get the chance. Israel’s policies and actions will be guided first and foremost by their own right, need, and desire to literally just continue to exist on their own soil and not be slaughtered.

... I reject that criticism of the state of Israel and its policies must necessarily be equated with antisemitism. Criticism of the state and its policies can absolutely be valid.

However, antisemitism can and does underlie a lot of the criticism of Israel the country, and is leveraged heavily by those who wish to extinguish the Jews as a people ...
Agreed - with that whole "what fringes/splinters may be piggybacking on the main message with their own sub-version of the narrative?" thing happening.

I wish that individuals could separate the State of Israel from the Religion of Judaism when they are discussing this latest conflict. While I concede that the two are almost inseparably linked, they are not one in the same. I am not cheering for either side in this conflict, but I am getting tired of hearing that any attack on Israel is the equivalent of wiping the Jewish religion off the map. This is at its core a conflict over land, and who should be inhabiting it. I am willing to bet that if Israel were to say screw it, we're packing all our bags resettling in Utah, HAMAS, The Saudis, Iran and all the others could care less that there still existed a Jewish faith. On the opposite side, the state of Israel uses the defense of the Jewish Faith as the reasoning for all they do, when in fact it is actually the land and political power they strive to control.
If all the Jews in Israel would just move to Utah then Hamas would not be so committed to killing all of them is some pretty hard denial against the fact that Hama’s aims are genocidal.

Back