• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

• Thread starter Thread starter McG
  • Start date Start date
Ever been on a peacekeeping mission? If you have fine - if not then perhaps you should walk this back.
I don't think he was criticizing the troops themselves, more the mission. There have been constant Hezbollah attacks on Israel despite the presence of Peacekeepers, which kind of indicates the mission is a failure.

I don't think he was criticizing the troops themselves, more the mission. There have been constant Hezbollah attacks on Israel despite the presence of Peacekeepers, which kind of indicates the mission is a failure.
Perhaps but it reads to me that he’s critical of the personnel.
UN missions aren’t always the fun they are cracked up to be.

I’d rather do Afghanistan again than have to work a mission under UN ROE that stop me from preventing atrocity.
Under UN ROE for the most part you better have a sucking chest wound before loading your weapon!!!

This is a joke of course...

Perhaps but it reads to me that he’s critical of the personnel.
UN missions aren’t always the fun they are cracked up to be.

No they aren't...

Canadian Forces Major Paeta Hess-Von Krudener – stationed as a United Nations peacekeeper in Lebanon – was killed on July 25, 2006 when the Israeli Air Force dropped a bomb on his UN post. Since the time of the incident, the Israeli government has claimed its attack on the UN post was an accident. Canada issued the results of its inquiry into the incident on Feb. 1, 2008. Unfortunately, this claim of the Israelis rings hollow in light of the specifics of the incident.

What did the Canadian inquiry into the incident reveal?

The Canadian Board of Inquiry (BOI) concluded that the incident which killed Hess-Von Krudener was “tragic and preventable,” and that “the IDF [i.e. Israeli Army] is responsible for the death of Major Hess-Von Krudener.” <sup>[1]</sup> This conclusion was based on an analysis by the BOI of UN and IDF protocols in place at the time of the incident. (It is important to note that Israel refused to honour the Canadian BOI’s requests for access to IDF personnel and information related to the incident. <a title=""><sup>[2]</sup></a>)

No they aren't...

Canadian Forces Major Paeta Hess-Von Krudener – stationed as a United Nations peacekeeper in Lebanon – was killed on July 25, 2006 when the Israeli Air Force dropped a bomb on his UN post. Since the time of the incident, the Israeli government has claimed its attack on the UN post was an accident. Canada issued the results of its inquiry into the incident on Feb. 1, 2008. Unfortunately, this claim of the Israelis rings hollow in light of the specifics of the incident.

What did the Canadian inquiry into the incident reveal?

The Canadian Board of Inquiry (BOI) concluded that the incident which killed Hess-Von Krudener was “tragic and preventable,” and that “the IDF [i.e. Israeli Army] is responsible for the death of Major Hess-Von Krudener.” <sup>[1]</sup> This conclusion was based on an analysis by the BOI of UN and IDF protocols in place at the time of the incident. (It is important to note that Israel refused to honour the Canadian BOI’s requests for access to IDF personnel and information related to the incident. <a title=""><sup>[2]</sup></a>)

I knew him. Not well but he was a mission oriented officer,

Vancouver anti-Israeli protester burns flag, shouts 'death to Canada'

Perfectly acceptable in Trudeaus Canada, it’s not like they set up bouncy castles and blasted train horns.

Burning a flag is not a crime and in most cases will likely be a protected expression, however repugnant.

Vancouver Police are investigating the rest of it. Police in BC don’t have authority to lay charges; they have to send a package to crown for charge approval that takes time. The subject of arrests in the middle of a volatile situation has been discussed here before and there’s no need to rehash it.

I personally would not be surprised if VPD get hate crimes charges approved in the coming days. The self-identification with Hamas and Hezbollah would take some careful consideration to see if terrorism charges fit; that wouldn’t be VPD figuring that out though, terrorism charges nearly always require Attorney General consent, and that takes some solid groundwork to make sure the elements are met.

I think that when all is said and done, we’ll see the consequences of this unfold very much as a few of us have discussed in the last few days. It simply isn’t something that plays out super quickly.

Following up on this discussion from a few days ago: Samidoun (the group behind the ‘death to Canada’ chanting rally) was listed as a terrorist entity this morning in Canada and the U.S. No surprise that this happened, but it is good to see.

Following up on this discussion from a few days ago: Samidoun (the group behind the ‘death to Canada’ chanting rally) was listed as a terrorist entity this morning in Canada and the U.S. No surprise that this happened, but it is good to see.

Glasses No GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

I read a passage in "Marching as to War" by Pierre Berton. I've read a few of his books and this simple passage says it all:

Its something like this : Canada goes into all wars underequipped, under manned and poorly trained.

Why should the present day be any exception?

From the horse's mouth, so to speak ....
... as well as the U.S. Treasury info-machine's version
"United States and Canada Target Key International Fundraiser for Foreign Terrorist Organization PFLP"

Hi
Why not both?

From the horse's mouth, so to speak ....
... as well as the U.S. Treasury info-machine's version
"United States and Canada Target Key International Fundraiser for Foreign Terrorist Organization PFLP"
Two things will happen either in the next few days or weeks. We will see raids and arrests and press coverage or......the Government will roll over and go back to sleep satisfied that they've taken appropriate action.
I would be surprised if the former happens.
The problem is and it something Canadian governments are notorious for in my opinion.
And that's forgetting that they're not the only player in the game. And in these things the " the other guy " can do things too.
Moral outrage is a wonderful thing but it's no substitute for for actually doing something .

If you were in a political entity and it was suddenly deemed a terrorist organization, do you get a chance to distance yourself, or are you completely effed?

Back