• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GIs hit by "laser friendly fire" in Iraq

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Hopefully this won't end up becoming that common.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,187998,00.html

GIs in Iraq Hit by Laser Friendly Fire
Stars and Stripes | April 01, 2009
American troops in Iraq are reporting a series of incidents in which servicemembers have been blinded or required medical treatment after friendly-fire laser injuries.

According to an Army news release from Balad, Iraq, one unit in Iraq — the 3rd Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) — "has experienced 12 green laser incidents involving 14 soldiers and varying degrees of injury."

The release quotes Capt. Russell Harris, a troop commander with 3rd ESC, as saying that Soldiers have experienced "temporary blindness, headaches and blurred vision."

U.S. troops often use lasers either to target weapons such as rifles, or to "mark" targets that are to be hit by heavier weapons or airstrikes. Lasers have also been used at security checkpoints and in convoys to warn off drivers.

According to Wired Magazine’s Danger Room blog, laser injuries are more common when units first deploy and might be the result of inadequate training.

While various lasers have been used by troops, some are powerful enough that they have "hazard distances" of around 1,500 meters— that is, can cause eye damage from up to 1 mile away.

... the airline pilots flying into major cities have been complaining about this for a while now.
Where possible, they ID the area & airport security + local constabulary zero in on the IDIOT(s)

.... I agree - prolly more a case of inadequate training - the soldier thinking that the laser will only dazzle the driver of some behemoth heading his way..... Idiot!

Our own laser dazzlers identified here - http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/commun/ml-fe/article-eng.asp?id=5185

Geo, I'm not sure what your point is.

CSA - I was just pointing out that this is not a problem that is restricted to the military

The laser problem is widespread & the principle cause of it's use is..... ignorance

geo said:
CSA - I was just pointing out that this is not a problem that is restricted to the military

The laser problem is widespread & the principle cause of it's use is..... ignorance

Geo, the problem here is not soldiers lasing freindly troops to play stupid games.

Back