• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

France leaving Afghanistan - too dangerous

geo said:
Please back up your comment - or retract............

I'm sorry...the meaning of my post was lost in the poor positioning of the  ::) and bad choice of sarcasm mode

I find this a non-issue.  So France is bringing 200 of the SF personnel home.  Australia did the same thing only a month ago.  The British have returned their Paras to England and sent in another Battalion.  So what?  It is a non-issue and someone in the Press out to make a furor over his or her Headlines.

Another matter is the lack of other NATO Nations to come up to the plate and send more troops.  Since the Wall came down, and even before, many of those nations have greatly reduced their Armed Forces.   Some nations like Denmark and Norway have small Armed Forces made up primarily of short-term conscripts.  They don't have the manpower to continue to send troops, nor do they have the calibre of troops and equipment that we have.  I could ask you the question:  What NATO nation would you really trust to be at your 'six' when the excrement hits the oscillating fan?  Does that nation already have a large troop presence in Afghanistan?  Before engaging your mouth, engage your brain and look around you.

All this hyperbole after a single-source report of the withdrawal of French SF personnel, none of which (AFAIK) has been confirmed anywhere else.  VG pointed this out earlier, but the point's been lost in the prattle.

My experience with the French (which is fairly extensive) is that they're ruthless and effective when acting in support of French national objectives - which may or may not equate to those of their allies.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
My experience with the French (which is fairly extensive) is that they're ruthless and effective when acting in support of French national objectives - which may or may not equate to those of their allies.

RainBow Warrior...

George Wallace said:
I find this a non-issue.  

Agreed

Teddy Ruxpin said:

Again, agreed

Back