• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Flat Feet

I have whats called compartment syndrome(I pronate inwards extreamly bad!)and all they told me was to mention it when I got to borden(yes I'm a Quick pic!)and they would sort me out as far as orthodic insoles and boots.The boots took a longer to get (till I got to a real base where they don't ask if your "staff or student before" can I help you")so dont worry it's not a big deal.And in reference to the cat's arse comment I find they don't improve your performance as much as they let you walk and march without pain!

I don't think in these days the CF even care..  I told the medic that I have flat feet (yes, I do) and and I insoles..  I also told him that if I don't have my insoles for a couple of days, I will limp but that I will still be able to walk/run. He was fine with that... 

Really, don't worry about flat feet..

As for the other armies, I don't have a clue, the CF regulations are enough to learn for me!!  ;D

I have been thinking about joining the army latley but I was wondering if having flat feet ( the arches of my feet are flat to the ground) would make it so I fail the medical exam? Any help please?

Unless you have had problems arise from them, (i.e. when you are running) it shouldn't be an issue.  I am on the flat footed side myself and I had no problem whatsoever with them and neither did the CF.

I haven't been on this site very long, but this is the third post ive read on flat feet. Check this out http://army.ca/forums/threads/20253.0.html

So, as I have been reading the boards, let me get this straight;

Flat feet is no longer an issue in joining the CF? I have flat feet in that my toes don't point forward, like charlie chaplin's.

Am I to understand that this will not let me fail the medical testing?

no not at all I have fla feet to and I passed the medical just fine

Flat feet are no longer a problem in regards to getting into the CF however, you will find that it is to your benifit to get orthodics and try and get some sort of arch back into your feet. No only will you get heel spurs ( a true bitch trust me...) but rucksack marches, runs, and any other sort of dragged out physical activity will be harder to complete simply because the shock of you running/walking will carry through to you back, causing all sorts of problems ie. numbness of lower back, intense upper leg pain etc etc) I have flat feet but since getting orthotics( the CF will pay for 2 per 2 years) I don't have so many problems with my feet anymore during PT, daily walking whatever. Just some thoughts...

Jason

Hi. I'm very much interested in joining the military and hopefully become a pilot or an MP. But ive heard from people that if you have flat feet you cant join...is this true? I hope not.

Thanks Da_man. Another question... It's my dream to be a pilot. But i'm a tall guy and getting taller. From what I know, the max hieght is 6 foot 4. I'm 14 and 5 "9. So i figure  im ganna be taller. is there any execptions to the rule? and also, what kind of courses would i need to take in school to better my chances as a pilot?   

Surette said:
Thanks Da_man. Another question... It's my dream to be a pilot. But i'm a tall guy and getting taller. From what I know, the max hieght is 6 foot 4. I'm 14 and 5 "9. So i figure   im ganna be taller. is there any execptions to the rule? and also, what kind of courses would i need to take in school to better my chances as a pilot?    

You know i had the same dream as you... but i turned into an infantry bum  :D
But seriously being a pilot in the CAF is quite difficult and wont get you that many opportunities.  Quite frankly, if you really want to be a pilot you should consider moving in the States and join the US Air Force or the Marines.

HAH! screw that. lol... im not going over to be a pilot for the americans. screw that.. Is an MP a good life? i realize after you leave you have plenty of civilian jobs that you can go to but when you're in, is it good and respectfull? also, could I get shipped into dangerous places like the Golan   or anywhere like that?

I know a guy at St Jean thats an MP and he says its as boring as hell, from what I've heard he has been on the job for four months yet hasn't done anything dealing with the criminal aspect of law enforcement. I'm sure it would be a good job if you were sent out to a base were you get some action, but if your on a small base you might find yourself bored out of your mind from what I've heard.

If you got flat feet now and your 14, It's a good idea to get some information on Orthotics. I'm 17 I have flat feet, going in the next couple of weeks and getting them in a pair of shoes... and then later when i join into my boots.  My physiotherparist told me if i'm looking for a career in the army, im going to have back/hip problems without them. I highly suggest you look into orthotics.

They are expensive but, you can't put a price tag on your future.

Your parent's health care might cover some of the costs, so ask them.

Scotty.

Yea, I'm getting orthotics soon. I just wasnt sure if I had them I was going to be aloud to join the CF. So I'm glad to hear that ill still probably be aloud.

Can flat feet keep you out of the CF?  Well the answer in my case is yes. 
Does anyone now how to challenge this?  What are the feet criterion of the CF?

They let me in with flat feet, granted it was a few years back, but the medic just asked me a bunch of questions such as "Have you ever had lower back pain, joint pain or knee pain, have they ever prevented you from doing anything" I Explained I'd been playing football, soccer and rugby for about 10 years and I've never had problems, he made a phone call and I was in.

Are you sure it was the feet?

Back