• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Flat Feet

heh

tell me about it. Took me along time to even come up with that reply.
As everyone in here knows, I am the recruiting moderator, and I try my best at giving good answers to people questions. I do realize that not a single person has all the right answers, but I do try.

Arg has a diffren look out on this situation than I do.
I feel as if this guy wants to go into, or shall I say "attempt", to go into the forces, then all the power to him. Threre may be something else that may not allow him into the CF, but that, no one in here can answer, and it will be up to the interviewer or the medical staff.
But geez...if the guy has flat feet and he really wants to try and join, then i see no harm in letting him get in touch with his local CFRC. He is going to get all the ups and downs from their mouths. I can only tell him what I know from what I have been told.
I apologize for any bs that i may have caused anyone, but the CF is a new learning experience for me, and I think its great.

Mike

Much better approach. Thank you. You‘ll find a person catches more flies with honey, than vinegar
:p

Mike78,
Recruiting Moderator

"But first things first ARG. Dont call me buddy. I aint your buddy and never will be."

When you start a post with "Listen buddy...." by extention, one would assume to be responded too with equal familiarity. :confused:

moderate - a. restrained; temperate; to control; to decrease the intensity or pressure; to act as a moderator; n. a person of moderate opinions in politics, etc. -ly adv. -ness n. moderation n. moderatism n. non-extremist views. moderator n. arbitrator [L. moderare, to limit]

Food for thought. ;)

Mike78, seems like you don’t take criticism too well. A word of advice, get over that before you start any army course. I must complement you on your mastery of the English language.
We do agree on one topic, I don’t think there’s any danger of us becoming pals, but you never know.
As someone who professes to love the military and, I hope the country, I’m surprised at your reference to our Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Anyone who wants to serve our country should at least make himself or herself familiar with this document.
We do agree on one other point, the Canadian Forces, in particular, the army is a great place to be. It isn’t for everyone but for those who make it through the recruitment and training process, the rewards are many. Most of the people you will meet are first rate. The things you’ll do and the places you’ll go will be the basis for a lifetime of memories. I certainly would not discourage too many people from trying to join.
The CFRC is the place to get the answers for questions regarding medical situations. Having someone go down because of training injures is bad enough, these things happen. When someone goes down, it takes a lot of effort to get the person out and to medical attention and, hopefully, back into action quickly. Many people forget all the people and resources that get tied up. Trying to find problems before a person gets in is important. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but for medical advice, it’s best to refer a person to a professional.

Mike78, let me know where you are joining and I will try to get there and be an instructor, so I can explain things to you on a more personnel level.

Muaahhhaaahh silly FNG!!!

:tank:

Merlin3D

I‘ve been running to get into shape for the CF fitness test. Though I‘m not doing too bad, I get a mild chronic pain in my right foot. Turns out I have a high arch and supinate. The arch tends
be flexible.

I‘m the type of guy that hates to spend more than $20 for a pair of runners. If its cheap, then its good enough. Anywayzzz, this attitude has come to a crashing halt.

I just bought a pair of New Balance M587 running shoes. Man, what a farging difference! The shoe has anti-pronation/anti-supination/cushioning/arch support and get this.. rollbars... for about $159.
Yes, this is an expensive pair of shoes but I got no more foot pain. They‘re amazing.

Check out www.newbalance.com and search for shoes with arch support. Go to a running shoe stores that sells New Balance shoes (Sports4 for example), have them help you get fitted, and try them out. You get a 14 day try-out period. I betcha you‘ll find a world of difference.

In BMT, I believe the CF supplies a type of running shoe. I don‘t know if you "have to" accept them in order to make sure you don‘t stand out in the crowd; like being less of a target for the big bad Sergeant. Hopefully we can bring and use our own running shoes for those mild foot problems.

Anyone whose been through BMT have any experiences or comments?

Speaking of running to get in shape for the Fitness Test, I have two questions.

If someone has not done any running(only walking), how long should they continue walking before running the 2.4km in preparation for the test?

How much and how long should they run in preparation for the test at first?

Start running. Run for a bit then take walking breaks if you have to when you first start out, but you‘ll never become good at running by just walking.

How much more you run each time is dependant on you, and how hard you push yourself. (barring any injuries) The CF express test guide recomends being able to run 5km nonstop before doing the PT test..

Or if you live in the city like me, try running on the spot. I have been doing that for about the last 2 years for 2 hours a day (one hour on weekends) usually 1600-1800 after school. Yeah I have no life.

Anyways, its really improved the muscles down there (my legs). Also you can do it while watching tv so its does not seem like 2 hours. Plus the added bonus of not looking like a freak running up and down Queen street (although you would actually probably fit right in on Queen street, eh?)

Merlin3D

I asked a CF recruiter about insoles and running shoes for "special" feet.

According to the recruiter....

1.Canadian Forces supplies running shoes to all recruits at beginning of BMQ. Recruits are promptly told by instructors afterwards, according to my contact‘s experience, not to wear these shoes because they do not provide sufficient support.

2. You can bring you own cross trainers or running shoes. Make sure they are fitted well for your foot. Shoes that have bells, whistles, razzle dazzle color designs might get you noticed by the big bad Sergeant (hehe) but as long as the shoe fits its OK.

3. The CF will provide insoles to all recruits and it is OK if you bring your own. It is OK if the insole is an orthotic for flat feet or special foot conditions. This assumes that the foot condition is deemed acceptable or "would not hinder progress in BMQ" as found or discussed during the medical.

Its always best to ask the CF recruiter or the doctor for specifics. Good luck.

so your saying with flat feet you can still join? And how can I tell if my feet are flat I think they might be flat :confused:

The term "flat feet" generally describes a foot condition of fallen or falling arch that cause ligament, tendon, heel pain, or mid-foot struture inflammation and pain. Its the arch between the ball of the feet and the heel. One way to coursely tell if your flat footed is to see if you have little or no arch under the foot. Another way is is to step in a puddle in bare feet and step on the floor. If you see an imprint/wet stamp of a majority of the bottom of your foot where the arch is then you MAY have a degree of a flat foot.

The problem is people with severe flat feet cannot stand for long periods of time, carry heavy loads for periods of time, or have chronic foot pain (tendon inflammation under the base of the foot or the heel). There are various degrees and situations but the severe conditions are what the military has to be concerned about.

People with high arches actually have a higher occurance of lower limb problems than those with flat feet. Having flat feet will not necessarily keep you out of the military but it depends of the severity and stability of the condition.

If you have the condition, the CF doctor will recognize it and likely ask your family physician to look at the problem and fill out a form saying that the condition is stable and OK for the military (or not).

In basic training, and it applies to work in the CF too, there are periods of running, walking long distances with a weighted load, standing around, that will put stress on the body and particularily the foot. Some MOCs are more physical than others. Nobody has a perfect foot
but it has to stand up to reasonable stress during periods of CF activity and deployment.

The best thing to do is talk to a recruiter and get a sense of what the military thinks of flat feet. Also, go see your doctor and find out how severe the condition is and if it will likely be stable. It may not be problem. There may be orthotics available to make it stable and relatively problem free. Maybe "off the counter" arch supports are suitable.

The thing thats hard to estimate for those with feet problems is BMQ. If you successfully go through the application process and get into basic military qualification (basic training), you don‘t want to get rejected on a medical ticket because of chronic foot pain. Make sure
your feet are OK before you go there.

If you enter the application process, start running and doing cardio workouts. Find out what your foot problems are going to be so you have the time to try out insoles, running shoe types, and/or orthotics. By the time you hit the medical part of the application process, it would be good to have a sense of your feet and be able to give honest answers to the CF physician.

For more information check out this link:
http://www.personalmd.com/news/flatfeet_06062000.shtml or search the net for "flat feet". All kinds of info out there.

My course was giving New Ballance shoes in basic (Borden) but I have seen what they give in St.Jean
Ha Ha too bad for you guys lol. :)

Just a further note regarding nbk‘s post about running on the spot...

If you have nowhere to run outside, I suggest purchasing a step aerobics platform. You can get one at Wal-Mart for under $30. However, be warned, the box is sort of "girly"; it is a decidedly feminine purple color with a big picture of a woman in workout gear on the front -- it was funny carrying it through the store trying to cover the woman up with one arm.. LOL.

Anyway, turn on your favorite workout music and step, step, step. You‘ll get a great workout and strengthen your legs as well. I use it on rainy/windy days, usually while wearing a backpack full of heavy books.

Is it true that people with flat feet cannot join the army? If so, what exactly is meant by "flat feet"?...how would that affect someone‘s performance in the army?

That‘s not true. You have flat feet if the entire surface area of your foot touches the ground when you walk/run.

In fact, flat feet will give you a little bit of advantage when you have to run long distances.

I have flat feet, and have completed all the neccessary training up to this point, they provide for a good laugh when you‘re bored in the mess too. They might give you rough time when you do your medical, but do not worry they will not stop you from joining if you have flat feet.
The only thing I would worry about is; having flat feet does more then just look funny, they set your entire body out of alignment and can lead to some pretty awful afflictions in the future. If you do enlist, i suggest getting a VERY GOOD orthotic that is designed for the boots they will issue you. Orthotics can be pretty pricey but they will pay off in the end when you are still able to walk.
As for the idea that they may help you run long distances....no nonoonoo. They will add stress to your body, right up to your back, and believe me your feet will hurt more then anyone else who is complaining. Trust me about all of this, this is experience speaking. Flat footed experience combined with the pains of training experience.

flat foot = messed up knees at 18 = not good = grin and bear it

I have flat feet and managed to get through but always had a terrible time running. I was always in decent shape and had no problems with push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups or whatever.
I could just never run!

Back