• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness Test

Hmm, I dont know why, but my arms just dont do pusg ups well. It took me about a month of doing push ups every other night (to the point of numbness) to get up to 22 from 19. Man...I really hate push ups :S

I think one could get many opinions on how to train for the CF application process fitness test.
Its better to get an informed opinion from a personal trainer at a club to talk to the PSP staff in the CF if you‘re not sure how to improve. The CFRC should be able to give you a number to call a CF trainer and ask a few questions.

In the forums, there‘s many posts on fitness and
how to achieve levels. Some good info in there but ask questions of various people and get a better understanding of how you want to improve your fitness.

The average person in civy life doesn‘t initally understand what is required to improve their fitness. Usually they train to meet the fitness requirements in the recruiting documentation. Also, everyone is different. Some are in good overall shape, others are not, some are strong, others have good cardio fitness, and everyone has a different body structure and lifestyle. Meeting the minimum fitness requirements in the recruiting process may not adequately prepare one for the regors of BMQ and following courses and operational readiness in the CF.

As an example in BMQ, others have written of running 6 kms, going thru obstacle courses 2 miles in length a couple of times, a week long course set in the wilds of Farnham, and a 13 km march with rucksack et all in 2 hours 26 ins. In BMQ, its been written you may not get all the sleep you‘d hope for. Courses after BMQ, especially those going into the combat arms, are much more physically demanding. So, it means that overall physical fitness is important rather than just practicing for the recruiting process fitness test.

As it is, there are various people in the recruiting process with different levels of fitness. Since the recruiting process is three months to a year (generally speaking), then using whatever time you‘ve got to improve your fitness would really help in your CF career. To those who cannot meet the minimum requirements, get some professional or knowledgable advice so your training is efficient.

In my opinion, getting into a weight and running program is the best use of time. The weight training to improve strength and stability and running for cardio improvement and endurance. I too plateaued with push-ups and couldn‘t go over a certain repetition. Using variations of the bench press, shoulder press, and tricep exercises, I was able to increase my push-up repetitions by 20 in six weeks.

I‘d figure you‘d need strong arms and legs for mobility, a strong upper and lower back for carrying loaded rucksacks, go abs for stability, and strong legs for moving thru obstacle courses.
Good cardio and endurance and moving quickly over distances. If you can exceed the minimum requirements, then its a better position to be in.

Another important item to remember is to take in a lot of protein after a workout. See what happens when you workout is the resistance excerises make tiny tears or rips in your muscles and you need the extra protein to facilitate in the recovery of the targeted muscles. That is also, basically speaking, why you get bigger from resistance workouts. You need to create more muscle to repair the damaged ones. The recommended daily protein intake is 1.5 grams/lb of body weight. You have to be conscious of the different kinds of protein supplementation out there in the markets as many are not easily absorbed and are quite costly. Whey Protein Isolate is a readily digestible protein whey compared to other proteins. Canned tuna also provides about 25-35 grams of protein per can and is cheaper (gram to gram) than protein isolates. Tuna also contains high amounts of Omega fatty acids which are extremely beneficial for your heart and maintain insulin resistance. I have found that canned tuna is the best bang for the buck.

When looking at protein in the nutrition stores, beware of anything with words like "gainer, or mega mass". These style of protein mixes come with massive amounts of carbohydrates and often large amounts of sugar.

As for the cost, if you pay for your own food, you will find that buying the costly protein will actually be cheaper than trying to buy an appropriate amount of protein in the grocery store. Meat is expensive, digests slow, and takes a whole lot to meet your protein requirement per day.
The window for digesting protein after a workout to get full benefit from it is 45 minutes. Protein mixes (good ones) are specially designed to digest almost instantly, thereby giving you maximum benefit.

I think Prolab has the market cornered on protein isolate. This opinion comes from buying many different kinds of protein supplementation. Muscletechs Nitrotech is also very good. I have never found protein supplements to be high in sugar content but Muscletechs Celltech is loaded with dextrose. In fact their is more sugar than creatine in Celltech! I started a new cycle and started taking Celltech. I gained 4 lbs in the loading stage alone!! That‘s mostly fat and water retention. 198 to 202 in 5 days! Couldn‘t beleive it. My $0.02...go Prolab for sure.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. :cool:

I‘m using ISO-PRO Low Carb *sweetend with sucralose*. It‘s a whey protien isolate.

On the topic of sugar, many don‘t list sugar as an ingredient, just like many other ingredients which can be found in many types of protein mixes. You have to ask yourself when you taste a protein shake, why does this taste good? Like chocolate? Since it is made out of eggs, it should taste kind of bland and nasty.

Many sweeten their chocolate flavored protien with actual cocoa, and sugar. Personaly the last thing I need after an evening workout is a big blast of caffeine filled cocoa milkshake, to keep me up all night missing the most important aspect of muscle growth....Sleep.

Supplement stores are not subject to the same scrutiny by the Food And Drug Administration as groccers and pharmacies. I watched an expose‘ on an athlete who tested positive for steroids, only to have it discovered that his protein supplement contained low levels of the steroid. It was not listed in the ingredients.
Same thing with creatine, I‘ve used it myself in the past, but there was no long term studies required before it was mass marketed and sold in supplement stores. The long term (10-15+ years) effects of creatine supplement use are still unknown.

From what I‘ve read in the past creatine is safe to use, even in large doses. It is created naturally in the liver and the average bloke metabolizes about 2-3 grams per day through everyday functions. Studies have been done. Most noteably there are studies published in the New England journal of Medicine, Clinical Science and the Scandinavian journal of Medicine, Science and Sports and even the EAS.

Steroids in the whey eh? That‘s not surprising at all. Especially considering the user will be attributing all his progress to his pre-workout whey when it‘s actually the steroids. It‘s unethical to say the very least. What supplement was he taking? With all the growth stimulants given to cattle to increase production I wonder how the IOC will look at drug testing in the future. Ban all meat for 6 months before the Olympics?

Since my fitness training isn‘t oriented to mass-building, I‘ve never taken protein supplements, though I would consider it if I revised my training.

GrahamD, thanks for pointing out the danger of prematurely adding resistance. I realized that in my post, I incorrectly assumed this to be known, and omitted the information.

Reading the Army Fitness Manual, found here could assist in planning a suitable regimen. As Bert mentioned, consult the PSP staff for advice, too.

Cheers.

How many tests do you ahve to pass to get into the reserves and wut are the tests?

Welcome to the forum, noname. Please check the Recruiting FAQ. Your answer lies within.

Around here, we like to flex our intellect by using grammar and spelling instead of abusing it. ;)

Originally posted by St.Onge:
[qb]
Reading the Army Fitness Manual, found here could assist in planning a suitable regimen. As Bert mentioned, consult the PSP staff for advice, too.

Cheers. [/qb]
That I found to be an amazing resource. It is a good read. Definately (as soon as school calms down a bit) am going to implement it for myself *as much as I can*

Da_man,

Congrats. Did you have to do them the same way you did the first time? Or under the shoulders this time?

I want to thank all you guys on here for all the good tips. I always could do the 19 but I‘m sure all these ideas will help me to get through bmq.

Hi All
I have a fitness coming up, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the standard level to exempt at? I know if you do you don‘t have to do the fitness test for 2 years. Any info, or links would be great.
Thanks everyone

well...first off, this topic has been covered MANY times.

When i went for mine, I managed to get my hands on a big list of standards that i needed to pass on the physical. The DND website should have something on it

He‘s talking about the excellence standard for the express test for people who are already CF members, I belive.

I was told by my recruiter that every member is tested every year for fitness, and must maintain the minimum objectives throughout their career.
However, there is a certain level of acheivement where if you acheive it you can bypass the test for the following year.

I‘ve seen a list of those requirements somewhere before, but I can‘t remember where.
I think maybe for the cardio, you just need to acheive the superior level for your age category.
Then again, I don‘t really know for sure.

Here is something I found.

ANNEX C -- CF EXPRES INCENTIVE PROGRAM
QUALIFICATION FOR CF EXPRES EVALUATION EXEMPTION
1. The purpose of this program is to promote the demonstration of a superior level of physical fitness rather than performance at the minimal level as required in the MPFS.

2. To qualify for an exemption from the CF EXPRES evaluation under the CF EXPRES Incentive Program, a member must meet the MPFS for V02 max, handgrip, push-ups and sit-ups and attain the incentive scores designated for the V02 max and the muscular strength and endurance scores in the member‘s age group as shown in the CP EXPRES Incentive Program table in Appendix 1.

DURATION OF CF EXPRES EVALUATION EXEMPTION
3. A member who meets the qualifications specified under the CF EXPRES Incentive Program shall be exempted from the CF EXPRES evaluation for the following "year of evaluation and reporting" henceforth referred to "YEAR". The CF EXPRES YEAR is from 1 Apr to 31 Mar. This means that if a member is evaluated and so qualifies in YEAR 90/91, the member does not have to be re-evaluated until YEAR 92/93 as the exemption is in effect for YEAR 91/92.
And here is the excuse for appendix 1.
ANNEX C, APPENDIX 1 -- CF EXPRES INCENTIVE PROGRAM
This image is in the process of being rescanned

the currently scanned sheet is virtualy unreadable.

look for yourself here at annexc appendix1 : http://www.dnd.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/050-01_e.asp

Back